DenimProject - The Deviants 2013 Contest

drapygo

Yeah that's what I think too..they got rid off the less necessary rivets..like on the coin pocket and also the crotch.

I thought about a '54 model as a winning pair. '50s cut with roomy top but a taper, still a leather patch and offset beltloop. LVC Japan did one of those some years ago :)

@snake: thanks for the measurements...well then I go with size 34!

Okay guys, not sure if there was a miscommunication earlier but hemming service WILL be provided (for free!). Taichi was just concerned that it won't be perfect and it might be off here or there from peoples request. For now, we will just wait for the first fabric testing to see how much shrinkage to expect; in my experience, 2.5 inches is average. The only disclaimer we need is that of course if the jeans aren't the exact length you needed after hemming, there will be NO RETURNS/NO CLAIMS, strictly because these are made to order.

Hopefully that clears things up? So yes, free hemming available!

Thanks for setting the record straight, aho! I admire your conviction when buying jeans - unlike most of us who don't bother hemming to length, you seem to always get a proper hem.

All this talk about hemming got me thinking: what hemming options would have been available circa 1946? Did Levi's make various inseam lengths for each size, as seen today? I doubt that many Union Specials were floating around in tailor shops (if they even accepted jeans for alterations!). That leaves cuffing or lopping them off with a pair of scissors...?

That being said, I'll have mine hemmed on the Union, please :)

Edited by PeterParker

glad to clear things up, I know a few of us were concerned about walking around with giant/multiple cuffs until getting them a proper chainstitch!

Regarding back in the day, that's a good question...I'd assume they'd make different lengths as they do today, but perhaps a resident historian can chime in? unfortunately I don't think Paul T is aware of this discussion yet!

Edited by aho

^snake, thanks for the raw measurements, and you're right, pretty typical 40's repro measurements. Damn, I just want to buy a 32 and start this contest already hahaha

And not that I'm gonna win, but what models would you all choose if you had the opportunity to decide the next cut (and free pair)? I'd either go all out with a 20's model (cinch, exposed rivets, suspender buttons etc.) or something easier on Taichi-san's budget like this WWII pair: http://www.marvins-j...old/dp-308.html

dp30876.jpg

;)

can he repro the fuckyeahcoinpocketroping? :)

8320704095_e6d78aef70_n.jpg

'seems my current repro niche' or default are the 1950's model... a pair of '53 or '55.

'don't even no the nuances ... maybe some1 in the know can shed a light? ;)

for a repro, i like the proportions of the roomy "V" top block + thigh with a stronger 1.5 to 2" [all around] taper from knee to hem, as with the FC 0105. great for cuff rolls, as well. imo.

And not that I'm gonna win, but what models would you all choose if you had the opportunity to decide the next cut (and free pair)? ....

Edited by BrownMetallic

with regards to the length of the jeans in the past, if memory serves me right, i once read somewhere that people in the past really didnt bother too much about the length. they simply cuffed it to the desired length. denim in the past was no means as extravagant as they were now. those who bothered enough about the length in the past really just did a DIY fix on the length as sewing machines were pretty commonplace back then. i really don't think that they would have bothered as much about a union special as we do...

Agreed, some people commenting surely seem pretty ignorant, they look great.

It states these D00XX are a 1947 model, so this means this earlier run was based on a different model year than the current 1946 model?

I do like the old patch.

Hi Taichi, nice to see you here!

Please keep with the '46, it's more unique than a '44 pair f.i. which a lot of other company's already do.

How about that 2nd tab detail, like on the vintage '46 Levi's you've found?