Show us your leather

aleopold

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mini Trucker Wallet

Black Wax finish Minerva in Biscuit from Badalassi Carlo s.r.l.

(anyone who uses the phrase, or similar, “love me some Badalassi” will prompt me to apply for mod status to wield the ban hammer … fucking instagrammar)

Khaki thread and solid brass hardware (Hasi Hoto snaps, YKK zip, d-ring, shackle, chain and fish hook

IMG_2478.jpeg

IMG_2476.jpeg

IMG_2702.jpeg

IMG_2703.jpeg

Edited by Duke Mantee

A pair of braces / suspenders made of crust cowhide from a long shut tannery (the straps) and crust calfskin (the ‘rabbit ears’ and attachments) and decorated with a couple of antique silver Japanese coins

The cowhide is a real old fashioned pit liming and tanning - some of the hide still had hair on. It’s amazing stuff, nothing like it and never will be again.

IMG_2722.jpeg

IMG_2723.jpeg

IMG_2724.jpeg

Excellent work on those, Mike - i really appreciate seeing how your belt-making skills transfer over to so many different applications. I notice the slits on the rabbit ears have a small hole punched at the end - i assume that's to prevent the leather from tearing?

2 hours ago, chicote said:

Excellent work on those, Mike - i really appreciate seeing how your belt-making skills transfer over to so many different applications. I notice the slits on the rabbit ears have a small hole punched at the end - i assume that's to prevent the leather from tearing?

Thank you very much - I guess leather is leather regardless of the shape or application. Not much difference from a belt to a bag strap to these.

And yes, that little hole is there for exactly the reason you’ve stated. Probably not necessary but there’s no reason for a shortcut

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry - iPhone 

But a thing to hang some things on. The guy was given a similar thing, but his thing had zamak hardware and it broke. So now he has a thing that won’t break.

Anyway all solid brass hardware, and a wee bit of what’s left of that defunct leather I made the braces from.

P1028670_DxO.jpeg

Wow, that is truly amazing Duke! Are you doing all the stitching by hand or have you got a leather sewing machine? I’m patterning a new leather bench seat for my truck at the moment, but the thought of all that hand stitching is daunting…

25 minutes ago, chicote said:

Wow, that is truly amazing Duke! Are you doing all the stitching by hand or have you got a leather sewing machine? I’m patterning a new leather bench seat for my truck at the moment, but the thought of all that hand stitching is daunting…

Thank you.

It’s all by hand - no electricity is harmed during my work (well maybe a bit of lighting) - I got a bit fed up with all these companies saying by hand and what they mean is someone used their hands to operate a machine, so I do it the old fashioned way. Not that I have an issue with someone using machines though, still get great, and sometimes better, results.

250 foot of thread to make these. I know that because the spool got finished.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a (singular) boot by hand (as in every single stitch and cut and everything) boot to learn stuff.  It might not be pretty but it is technically wearable.  Still have a lot of cleanup and detail work left. 

C23CD970-034D-4BEA-953C-40585A428A04.thumb.jpeg.0f9c262eee3ad288a87214ad6906079a.jpeg
B940AABD-29C3-412D-9AAD-D3DBE92A7CDC.thumb.jpeg.1b8e8cca22d3755b3171e5d8e6bba7e7.jpeg

IMG_2913.thumb.jpeg.0ad226267404c05be9f457705ff4e2e7.jpeg

IMG_2910.thumb.jpeg.6c784abc58f1317e4952f4746182ed34.jpeg

Edited by sensy

@sensy that's amazing!! i remember a couple years ago you saying you planned to make yourself a pair of boots and were teaching yourself other leatherworking skills along the way... i really admire your dedication, and the skills you've learned really show in how cleanly that boot turned out.. looking forward to seeing the next one!!

11 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

I’m seconding @chicote here - it’s no mean feat (geddit?) to make footwear from scratch, especially as complex as this.

There aren’t many boots I ever seen that are handmade (lots of makers are happy to say handmade when they’re really not), so it’s great to see this

I think it's an interesting question where it stops being handmade (with no definitive answer). Belt sander for the heel/soles? Definitely still handmade imo. Sewing machine for the upper? Also OK I think. I'm using bought, machine made linen thread, and some people makes that by hand. It's fun to think about, but also I'm only doing it this way because of what equipment I have, and which parts I find interesting to learn. I'm probably going to look for a cheap sander because finishing the heel is boring as shit.

7 hours ago, sensy said:

I think it's an interesting question where it stops being handmade (with no definitive answer). Belt sander for the heel/soles? Definitely still handmade imo. Sewing machine for the upper? Also OK I think. I'm using bought, machine made linen thread, and some people makes that by hand. It's fun to think about, but also I'm only doing it this way because of what equipment I have, and which parts I find interesting to learn. I'm probably going to look for a cheap sander because finishing the heel is boring as shit.

You’re absolutely right - there is no real correct answer. 

I disagree about sewing the uppers though. For me they should be handsewn; we do it for bags, wallets, belts etc so there’s no reason in my mind that uppers can’t be handsewn. Soles and heels are very difficult so shaping down a heel with a sander could be argued as still being handmade.

I think the thing that bothers me most is the businesses are rather disingenuous about what handmade can mean - so really it’s the lack of integrity rather than the lack of skill, because as I’ve said before it takes no little skill to be a good machinist 

35 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

You’re absolutely right - there is no real correct answer. 

I disagree about sewing the uppers though. For me they should be handsewn; we do it for bags, wallets, belts etc so there’s no reason in my mind that uppers can’t be handsewn. Soles and heels are very difficult so shaping down a heel with a sander could be argued as still being handmade.

I think the thing that bothers me most is the businesses are rather disingenuous about what handmade can mean - so really it’s the lack of integrity rather than the lack of skill, because as I’ve said before it takes no little skill to be a good machinist 

Businesses should just be open as to how they do things instead of using non defined buzzwords and we're good, I guess. But we all know and understand why that's not gonna happen. 

As for sewing the uppers, maybe it's just cause I'm not used to ever seeing handsewn ones that makes it easy for me to accept machine sewn ones as handmade. It's also completely a waste of time and energy to handsewn them, nothing practical is really gained from it, while you could argue a saddle stitch does add some longevity to a wallet, bag or belt. 

Again, no true answer but for me it's a feels thing, and I feel this is correct for me. 

16 hours ago, sensy said:

Businesses should just be open as to how they do things instead of using non defined buzzwords and we're good, I guess. But we all know and understand why that's not gonna happen. 

As for sewing the uppers, maybe it's just cause I'm not used to ever seeing handsewn ones that makes it easy for me to accept machine sewn ones as handmade. It's also completely a waste of time and energy to handsewn them, nothing practical is really gained from it, while you could argue a saddle stitch does add some longevity to a wallet, bag or belt. 

Again, no true answer but for me it's a feels thing, and I feel this is correct for me. 

Given the strength and durability of a saddle stitch I would suggest it is better placed in a boot than a wallet - I think what we see then is actually how business efficiency (time=money) has convinced us that a handmade boot doesn’t need to be saddle stitched.

It used to be a bespoke suit was entirely hand stitched but it’s now not uncommon to find that long seam lines are now machine stitched  … it’s still handmade because the rules of engagement have changed to suit the landscape.

It’s really not a discussion about quality as such - more the confusion that arises when a customer can’t understand why item A is $X but item B is 3x $X … because item A has a few finishing stitches done by hand and item B is everything done by hand and both ‘legitimately’ claim handmade status. I see it here fairly often - and mostly centred around footwear and larger leather items.

Edited by Duke Mantee

• 2 weeks later...