Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Winter is approaching in edmonton and need a new pair of boots! any recommendations? I'm looking at the RW 875...

I don't want to wear my aldens during our harsh winters!

good choice,the crepe sole works surprisingly well on snow.anyway,i managed the last winter here in Hamburg wearing my 8113 with the cork/nitrile sole,no thread at all,without any problems.

hey im thinking of getting a pair engineer boots, but im not looking for something of wesco level quality. I plan to use em all winter beat em up and then get them resoled by takeshi san, willies, or my guy in new york.

What do u guys suggest

comparing the alden 403 and 405, is the Horween Chromexcel that much better as compared to the full grain waxhide leather?

Also, am I right to say that the main difference between the 403 and 405 is the colour tone and the upper sole?

i'd prefer the lighter colour tone of the 405, but prefer the chromexcel of the 403. mmm.

need some help ^ . anyone!

^

To me the 403 & 405 are quite different boots because the tannages of the upper leathers are completely different.

As such, they will crease differently, the colour tone will be quite different in various lighting conditions, they will handle moisture, sunlight, abrasions, conditioning, polishing, etc quite differently too - will end up ageing quite differently, I think.

Personal preference, I think it comes down to, just pick the leather that you're more fond of, granted it's hard to tell if you can't actually handle the leathers.

Edit: What do you mean by "the chromexcel of the 403"??? Did you want a pull-up leather?

hey im thinking of getting a pair engineer boots, but im not looking for something of wesco level quality. I plan to use em all winter beat em up and then get them resoled by takeshi san, willies, or my guy in new york.

What do u guys suggest

Wait, so you don't want to buy something that is high quality like wesco, but then you want to turn around and blow a ton of cash on a resole from takashi? That sounds a little backwards to me. A resole should not be a significant portion of the initial investment.

Also, I'm with big truck on this one, but in general all of SUFU has just turned into a "look what I bought when I was in the big city this weekend" type of board. I don't necessarily exclude myself from that group.

Really? How many people do you know that can tell if a shoe will look better with age when it is new and unworn? Unless the thread title is 'shoes that MAY look better with age but there is an element of speculation because we do not know for sure;. Anyway, that has been debated before in this thread.

I think most good quality shoes/boots do look better with age.

Anyway. I'm cool with seeing new shoes here. They generally will get better with age, unlike sneakers.

a.khan,

There's nothing wrong with your first pair of engineers not being $500+. I'd go with Chippewa 97863. Leather and construction is a pretty good value for the $150 they cost. They probably won't "need" a resole for a long time. It'll give you a chance to decide if you like the style.

You can also look on Ebay. I really like the old style Carolina's like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Leather-Carolina-Engineer-Motorcycle-Boots-10-5-M-/200640739563. They can get a really nice toe profile with some wear.

Can someone change the thread title to "shoes and boots thread" so we don't have to rehash the same old "how do you know it will look better/ showing off new products" argument every 6 months.

Can someone change the thread title to "shoes and boots thread" so we don't have to rehash the same old "how do you know it will look better/ showing off new products" argument every 6 months.

Start a new thread, then!

The idea of this thread was to turn people on to shoes that look better with age. THey don't all have to be old already. But... this title also implies that we don'tonly want shiny photos of "my latest purchase'. It's exaclt;y the same with denim; the first half dozen photos of a new model are informative... then it all become blah, at least until they're nice and worn in.

I think the implication of the thread title is either missed or ignored by most then Paul. Point being that the argument is old and boring, if people don't want to see new shoes, then just exercise your right to ignore the post.

The other similarity with denim is than new becomes old, and the evolution is the interesting part (to most). No worries about people posting their new stuff, but keep posting it as it gets older and all is good.

I actually think that this thread has more knowledge, advice, and quality in it than any other thread on Superdenim......ironic really.

Well said Paul T. The title of the thread is pretty clear to most. If you look at how the thread began and the vast majority of posts at that time, they are all about the ageing process of shoes/boots/footwear. Questions about buying new footwear were usually linked to a particular post which is fine because its topical and relevant at that point.

As Paul says, start a new thread or post in recent purchases or even this or that here in superdenim.

Megatron - the argument about the title thread is not old and boring, it sinply remains constant because of inane postings which have nothing to do with shoes and their age but more to do with people wanting e-props or some kind of gratification for their purchases. You posted your Whites but there was no narrative about ageing or anything. Now I would be reallty interested in seeing their evolution as i think Whites are great boots.

Anyway Ive made my point. People can buy what the hell they want. I jyst wish theyd post about it in the right places.

I think the implication of the thread title is either missed or ignored by most then Paul. Point being that the argument is old and boring, if people don't want to see new shoes, then just exercise your right to ignore the post.

The other similarity with denim is than new becomes old, and the evolution is the interesting part (to most). No worries about people posting their new stuff, but keep posting it as it gets older and all is good.

I actually think that this thread has more knowledge, advice, and quality in it than any other thread on Superdenim......ironic really.

along with the LVC thread you mean.. ? ;)

^ Well, similar to the fact that supershopper also has a leather thread then :)

I know that there must be a few more guys like me who really only browse superdenim...

More denim/workwear/military/repro oriented footwear in the newer one?

Not so much for sneakers?

Narrative ;)

I needed to get some work boots, (for actually working in, at work), and was given a £40 budget and the catalogue of the workwear supplier who we have an account with. After browsing the catalogue for a solid 30 minutes I reached the conclusion that the boots contained within made me feel physically sick, probably due to too much time spent browsing some of the beautiful pictures in this thread, and so declined my managers kind offer, and budget.

Instead, I spent 5 minutes and precisely 62p on ebay to acquire these bad boys....

213113fa.jpg

0ef1f993.jpg

67a0d797.jpg

Israeli military issue combat boots, lightly used, badly looked after.

A swift application of leather conditioner, fitting some Timberland Abington laces, and a polish up later, and we have.....

6d48a058.jpg

Cap toe, surprisingly comfortable, deep none slip tread, waterproof lined. Not pretty, but they will certainly do the job, and will possibly look better with age.

Edit: For further background, I work in an Electronics Engineering environment, supplying military and civil aviation contractors. We have a full engineering plant on site, although I work in the more delicate field of micro electronics.

Hi..

I am looking for :

Alden Boots : any type

or

Tricker's Boots : any type

or

Maybe similar boots in other brand

Size : 9.5 or 10 or 10.5

Condition :

- Brand new

- 2nd hand on good condition

Anybody have and want to sell these items please send me PM..

Looking at a good deal =)

Thx before

how are they different from the regular semidress apart from the NEXUSVII tab, to warrant double the price from the earlier mentioned model?

wait, u didn't notice the non-cuban heel? it looks quite massive btw imo, should be just a tad lower...

megatron do those have a steel toe? I need to look into something decent for work, but I need a steel toe, only last week a co-worker ran over my toes with a forklift, thank god for steel toes...

I predict your new shoes thread will soon disappear off page 1.

This is the shoes thread. I can't believe the number of posts debating and arguing about this. Sufu has changed so much since the good old days...

Haha, well, at least my failed thread can be used as a compelling reason for the not-too-strict adherence to the title of this thread!

Hi..

I am looking for...

Please use this thread :), or supermarket.