Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

i just went back to kinokuniya and enquired at their service counter, it seems they've got two copies of each month's free and easy at their secondary outlet--one for customers to reserve, and the other to display. salvation?

although they've also said that they can't do backorders. is this typical of japanese magazines? i seem to keep seeing back issues of lightning on the shelves here after they've disappeared for a month or two.

^ yessir.

to get back on topic: could someone explain what the various steps of shoe care (cream, polish, etc?) contribute to the longevity of leather? how does prolonged wear damage leather and how, in turn, do these reparative measures work?

Selling my 1911s!!! See post 1828 on this page; more photos a few pages back. Just got them back from the stretcher. They're out to an E width now, but still too long. Marked 9 1/2 D, but in terms of their model 875 they'd now be a 10.5E. Anyone interested in them? $100 + shipping. I've worn them only 2 times. Retail for like $225, and Cultizm is sold out.

Selling my 1911s!!! See post 1828 on this page; more photos a few pages back. Just got them back from the stretcher. They're out to an E width now, but still too long. Marked 9 1/2 D, but in terms of their model 875 they'd now be a 10.5E. Anyone interested in them? $100 + shipping. I've worn them only 2 times. Retail for like $225, and Cultizm is sold out.

Well, I AM a 10.5E! Consider them gone, taken, snarfed. I've only whined about the impossibility of finding these things for months... Gotta do. PM already sent!

Thanks! :D

Looking sharp for Taliban target practice.

Had to post this photo of my nearly new Grenson Ilkley boots hanging out the door of a Huey chopper. Those are Sugar Cane 45 Lee repro jeans.

Spent three days this week doing the first round of the annual aerial Poppy Survey ("So, tell me, do you prefer the red, white or purple as your choice in flower? So, with the unseasonable rain, are you feeling particularly plump this year?"), along the Pak-Afghan border. This photo is looking down over the Bara River Valley, a particularly tough neighborhood. You can do a Google Earth to check out the terrain.

LookingSharp-a.jpg

Looking sharp for Taliban target practice.

Had to post this photo of my nearly new Grenson Ilkley boots hanging out the door of a Huey chopper. Those are Sugar Cane 45 Lee repro jeans.

Spent three days this week doing the first round of the annual aerial Poppy Survey ("So, tell me, do you prefer the red, white or purple as your choice in flower? So, with the unseasonable rain, are you feeling particularly plump this year?"), along the Pak-Afghan border. This photo is looking down over the Bara River Valley, a particularly tough neighborhood. You can do a Google Earth to check out the terrain.

LookingSharp-a.jpg

Damn! Dangerous stuff :)

You're shoes are too nice to be in that terrain. Alden "Indy's" would be more appropriate.. lol!

LOL! Yeah, I find myself being a bit tooo concerned about scuffs! Still, I wanted a pair of proper English country boots, just to see what they were/are like. With Pediwear’s semi-annual sale, they were a great price, too!

Dangerous? The pilots tell me that the tribal guys are great shots, but don't know about the lead required... No reports of handheld missles in the area...yet.

LOL! Yeah, I find myself being a bit tooo concerned about scuffs! Still, I wanted a pair of proper English country boots, just to see what they were/are like.

Great photo!

I like the idea of proper English country boots in this environment. They were made for the landed gentry to wear while walking on the gravel between his Range Rover and his country mansion. Or maybe at most extreme, walking the hounds before dinner. These boots function really well in our more casual times as sturdy dress shoes, and they go perfect with jeans!

Okay, this may be pushing it. Okay, it IS pushing it: As someone else called it -- I'm being a post whore! Just one more picture -- just because these boots are so cool! And, because I think it's only you 5 or 6 guys that I practically consider my pals who are actually looking at this. Same day photo, but a bit later. You can see the light difference on the boot.

Promise: No more boots-hanging-outta-chopper shots for at least a whole ‘nother month. Then, I’ll hope to take one with those nifty new Red Wing 1911s!!!!!

LookingSharp-b.jpg

Just for fun! Thanks, yet again, to all the great contributions to this great thread!

Off to a party with the pilots.

Hey Greg-- you are very resourceful! I'm digging the Bleasdale but I"m still going to get the Conistons. Thanks for posting this site.

I just found out about these boots, Shipton and Heneage. Each one is under $300, and they're English made, available online: http://www.shipton-usa.com

Here are some:

Selkirk

SELKIRK-300.jpg

Bleasdale

BLEASDALE-300.jpg

Military town boot

GEORGE_BOOT_HERO-300.jpg

mendip-hero-300.jpg

The sole IS too big for the uppers - BUT great way imho to avoid cuff drag ..

GREG - They aren't mine just an interesting ebay find .. seller has them listed at I think $199 buy it now so if anyone desires to search that should help .

I believe my search criteria was western laced in clothing and shoes . They possibly were in vintage and not men's shoes though ..