Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

... I could drop down to the store and pick you up a pair of Dr. Schols work boot insoles (molded heel cups and all that) and send them to you and it wouldn't be any problem at all. ...

I do wonder if I'd end up on a watch list for sending insoles though. :)

Familyman, you are a gentleman and a scholar. I’m a bit embarrassed to take you up on such a kind offer, but the idea that Scholl’s makes such an insole is an insight. I’m gonna give these over-priced Superfeet insoles a week or two in the new rotation to see if they (or me) break in. If they’re still not making it after that time, I just may be in contact. In the meantime, I salute your kind gesture (insert sincere genuflection here) !

Anyway, given the state of civil liberties in the US these days, I wouldn't want to put you at risk! :rolleyes:

Not sure if appropriate here as you’ve not mentioned it in a while, but I hope you’ve fully recovered from the flash fire incident?

As in the ones you posted a pic of back on page 83?? Man I am so jealous! They're featured many pages ago on this thread and I instantly loved their look. If you'd be kind enough Greg would you shed light upon the ordering process (feel free to PM me) as I would love to acquire a pair at some stage. Thanks!

Not sure if appropriate here as you’ve not mentioned it in a while, but I hope you’ve fully recovered from the flash fire incident?

The burns are all healed, thank you for asking. The back of hand has some fairly significant scarring where the skin looks more like saran wrap that skin but my face and my other hand look as good as new. I still consider myself very lucky, I can still look at the camera when I post WAYWT pictures. :) I'm keeping the very short hair for a while, we'll see how that goes.

Do let me know if you need those insoles. It's really not a big deal to pick them up and then drop them at the post office.

i am getting a pair ASAP

yeah man, I'm gonna hold off until the first of April, because i've decided to suspend any unnecessary purchases for the rest of March. I'm really excited though, the thick leather on the quoddy trail's sounds awesome. And I really like the service to replace the soles; I can wear them outside all I want, which I don't do in my minnetonkas.

The next decision: brown or black...

Synthi - Yes, p. 83 had the White's boot picture. PM coming to you on the process.

LeicaLad - I'll definitely do a point-by-point comparison between RW 1911 and the Whites. The RWs are feeling better today, the width is settling in. But they are too long. You know how an overly long shoe will let your heel ride up and down too much, and causes your sock to crumple down around your ankle? There's some of that going on, and I've got some Dr. Scholl's inserts to reduce it a bit. I have an OK cobbler by my office with a pretty sturdy stretching machine that allows a width-only stretch. I'll bring them to him tomorrow. A wider width might allow me to put a heftier insert in like my Mephistos - great feeling. And they make the boot feel less long, less riding up of the heel, better for the socks!

By the way, my cobbler has the best shoe-shine guy I've ever seen in NYC - named George. He's got the toe-caps of my Crocket & Jones Conistons spit-shined, and they started out as a mild Scotch-grain!

greg----just read up on the white's ordering process in free & easy; look great. maybe once my taste in boots is better developed, i will give it a shot.

batorizer---at first i was going w/ brown, but the black looks brown-ish enough, so i think i will get that; does that make sense?

nemo----nice boots!

ddml - was that the same free & easy from Feb, w/ Steve McQueen and all the boots? Great issue that. For the Whites, my wife helped me by tracing the outlines of my feet. She's tolerant of this madness, and actually appreciates good quality in boots and denim and stuff...

nemo - they look warm and comfortable, and look pretty good with those jeans! Hope the mink oil isn't an indigo magnet!

the mention of Free & Easy just reminded me - i can't find it in the kinokuniya here. perhaps i'm looking in the wrong section of the magazine stand? i looked at the section with all the non-no, men's style etc magazines, which also contains lightning.

I wish my 1911s fit me... :( They were so nice

.. ill have to post some pics. im not being to kind to them at all... twelve hour work days in a kitchen.. but they were more irregular then you thought. one shoe is a liter color and the other is a bit wider., but they are so dirty and broke in it doesnt matter..im one happy customer..

would love to trouble you to get a copy for me as well, chicken, but shipping would be prohibitive. perhaps i will get kinokuniya to order the issue for me, at the same time also ordering the lightning denim guide vol 1 and the mccoys' funbook. someone should create a guide to lightning style books with the issue # and the feature of the month.

Tweedles - yeah, that's right, that's the section of the store where the Free and Easy is. I should give you mine, I'm finished with it. We're talking about the 100th issue, correct. I have it right here, you can PM me to pick it up in the city somewhere....

Just wanted to plug Leather Soul. Most here already know that Tom is a great guy with excellent customer service. Being that I have the luxury of stopping by his store and chewing the fat with him, I gotta say that he really knows his stuff and is a down right nice guy.

Just ordered a pair of wingtips (like familyguy's but in a #8 instead of cigar) and can't wait for them to get here!

Greg - thanks for the offer, but i'm in singapore. :) that would be the reason i can't trouble any of you to pick up a copy for me, the shipping would be ridiculous.

I'm checking the shipping $$ tomorrow, will let you know if it's not sky-high. Esp. if you can read Japanese, you'll make better use of it than I! I don't know where Chicken is, but maybe we can make up a care package for you!

Countchoc - Those Red WIng 1911's come from Dejan (cultizm.com) for $225. But you know what? They ain't fitting so well. They are marked 9.5D but are fitting like a 10.5C, a little long and narrow. I have them at my cobbler's now on the stretcher, but that's only to increase the width. They'll still be long. I'm hoping insoles from Mephisto will even things out. I'll know tomorrow.. If they don't fit, I'm gonna offer them for sale for like $125.

I've ordered the Whites semi-dress. And just today I went back and ordered a new pair of Indy boots, which do fit. I I had to return my pair a few weeks ago because the right-side heel cup was jutting into my heel. Today I talked to Alden's manager this time, and he acknowledged that some Aldens do indeed have that heel-cup problem. So they're getting me a new pair - I'll see next week.

At most, I'll have 3 pairs of good old-skool non-black boots. Or, I'll have 2 that fit well, and will try to sell the RedWing 1911s.

chicken and greg--thanks for the thought! i can't read japanese either, but i plan to start learning once i get some stuff out of the way by june. i will get back to you guys regarding a bulk order...in all likelihood i can just go look for kinokuniya customer service and place an order. might be cheaper and less hassle (on both your parts) as well.

does anyone know a site (amazon or something) where i can find out the ISBN of all these magazines? :)

Shot a lot of film this week. This was earlier in the week. These are my favorite for looking good, but, frankly, they're a size too big - even with huge insoles. sigh. I just can't bring myself to part with them.

Anyway, I wear these with a blazer for the official reception stuff. Vaguely radical.

TrickersSammies.jpg

Tricker's Keswicks and Samurai S5000BKs.

^ imo doesnt go very well with the "baggy" calf / lower leg (?) part...

Probably would kill with dress pants as you said or maybe even slim jeans..