Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

nice shoes, guys.

just came back from my greek shoe guru. had some new taps put on my shell cordos.

told him about my lost shell cordovans, and he gave me his condolences.

but, on the bright side, whilst shopping with chicken and coleslawyum, i found a pair of frye engineer boots! they were brand new and half price at a japanese used clothing store. anyways, my greek shoe guru told me to bring them in because if they've been sitting in a box for who knows how long, the leather might need to be reconditioned.

he also told me that he does complete refurbishing of shell cordovan boots. he says he does it cheaper and better than alden does. also, i won't need to worry about shipping them.

familyman, those shell cordovans are crazy.

kinda off topic, but the way people wear fashion is so interesting to me... i'm not really talking about the people in this thread--the people in this thread are the realest mutherfuckers on superfuture ;) but definitely about people in the street and other parts of this forum.

it's interesting to me how 90% of people who wear western fashion have never stepped foot on a ranch or ridden a horse or had to walk through acres of sweet-smelling, fresh manure. or 90% of people who wear logger fashion have never walked around on a log yard. most interesting to me is how 99% of people who wear white trash fashion have never been in a trailer park. same with 99.99% of the suburbian kids who wear clothing with guns on them never packed heat.

can't blame them. i wear military stuff sometimes but i've never served.

what do y'all think about this?

kinda off topic, but the way people wear fashion is so interesting to me... i'm not really talking about the people in this thread--the people in this thread are the realest mutherfuckers on superfuture ;) but definitely about people in the street and other parts of this forum.

it's interesting to me how 90% of people who wear western fashion have never stepped foot on a ranch or ridden a horse or had to walk through acres of sweet-smelling, fresh manure. or 90% of people who wear logger fashion have never walked around on a log yard. most interesting to me is how 99% of people who wear white trash fashion have never been in a trailer park. same with 99.99% of the suburbian kids who wear clothing with guns on them never packed heat.

can't blame them. i wear military stuff sometimes but i've never served.

what do y'all think about this?

Hmm, here is the funny thing. I like military style stuff but primarily older things. I actually more often feel uneasy wearing military things because I have served.

For instance I would not wear any of my issued fatigues or boots casually. Nor anything with similar camouflage or colourations.

Strange.

I know.. I just bought a pair of Red Wing 1905 and would never wear it near a construction site. Fashion is influenced by what goes on in current events, cultural and artistic environment. Whenever I"m in Europe ( Paris, London ), I almost always wear a sports jacket because it makes me feel more 'continental'. Here in L.A. I just wear my jeans, t-shirt and lately been wearing lightweight jackets. I've just developed my own personal style as I've expanded my wardrobe. With at least 10 new raw denims in my arsenal I just have to find ways in getting creative on how to wear them other than just a simple t-shirt. The Japanese seems to have an innate sense of personal style. I do admire that about them.

Speaking for me, I don't have any kind of footwear that would be 'authentic' to my life. I've done a bit of work in a log yard though I'm not a lumberjack. We had half a dozen cows and 2 or 3 horses when I was a kid and I've strung some barbed wire but I'm not a cowboy. I've needed steel toes for several jobs but I'm not a laborer. I've been hunting since I could walk but day to day I'm not a woodsman. I've sailed boats in a few races but I'm not a sailor. I was a rock climbing instructor and have spent time on glaciers and mountains but I'm not an outdoor adventurer. I've worked a regular 9-5 suit level job but I'm not that guy any more either.

I think that most people today have a larger range of experiences than people of even 50 years ago. It wasn't too long ago that you wore what you wore for your job and/or your particular place in life and that was it. I've done more, been more places and have seen more than anyone in my family from a prior generation. My influences in fashion come from a much wider background that enables me to take what I like from different parts of my life and incorporate it to the plain suburban life that I now inhabit.

i think that's one of the great things about fashion, that people can wear something that is outside their social realm and it helps people possibly accept others who are outside their sphere. i think all the people who are rocking japanese clothes now probably have a better view (or A view) of japanese people than they did before.

i love motorcycle jackets, but i don't ride, so i don't wear a perfecto or cafe racer. i know it's kinda weird, but i just wouldn't feel right.

i never wore surfer clothes until i got into brazilian jiu-jitsu. most BJJ fight wear is a form of surfer clothing. now whenever i work out, i look like i just came from the beach. i probably wouldn't rock surfer clothes if i didn't get into BJJ.

i did a lot of construction when i was younger, so i don't mind wearing construction gear. i also grew up around white trash and spent a lot of time in trailer parks--i was rocking real trucker caps when i was in middle school. for a long time though, i shyed away from wearing that style cuz being associated with white trash wasn't really a cool thing until recently.

i'm also asian-american which adds a whole nother dimension to the mix. growing up, i hated wearing japanese clothes since it felt so "unamerican" and kids would make fun of me. now, it's all i wear. :)

it took a while for me to grow up, but i finally just wear what i want to.

Speaking for me, I don't have any kind of footwear that would be 'authentic' to my life. I've done a bit of work in a log yard though I'm not a lumberjack. We had half a dozen cows and 2 or 3 horses when I was a kid and I've strung some barbed wire but I'm not a cowboy. I've needed steel toes for several jobs but I'm not a laborer. I've been hunting since I could walk but day to day I'm not a woodsman. I've sailed boats in a few races but I'm not a sailor. I was a rock climbing instructor and have spent time on glaciers and mountains but I'm not an outdoor adventurer. I've worked a regular 9-5 suit level job but I'm not that guy any more either.

I think that most people today have a larger range of experiences than people of even 50 years ago. It wasn't too long ago that you wore what you wore for your job and/or your particular place in life and that was it. I've done more, been more places and have seen more than anyone in my family from a prior generation. My influences in fashion come from a much wider background that enables me to take what I like from different parts of my life and incorporate it to the plain suburban life that I now inhabit.

^^^ that's an awesome run-down and explains your wide variety of interests, familyman. these days, we're much more than what we do--even if you DO do, it's not necessarily what you is. back in the day, you only were what you did.

This way they are versatile enough to use for riding and for walking. My family has ranches in NorCal and at least 50% of men wear these.

Good info. In all my years, I never ran across anyone wearing lace-up Western boots. My grandfather was a cowboy, then a rancher and I used to visit him every year - I only saw the pull-on style. But White's has lace-ups too, and they don't mess around, so I knew *someone* must use them!

it's interesting to me how 90% of people who wear western fashion have never stepped foot on a ranch...

It's true - workwear styles are some real stuff! I love Western clothes too, especially the boots - I spent summers as a kid on a ranch. But heer in NYC, it can look a little Midnight Cowboy/Village People!

i never wore surfer clothes until i got into brazilian jiu-jitsu.

i did a lot of construction when i was younger, so i don't mind wearing construction gear.

i also grew up around white trash and spent a lot of time in trailer parks

i'm also asian-american which adds a whole nother dimension to the mix.

it took a while for me to grow up, but i finally just wear what i want to.

Miz, you are one fascinating cat! I think many folks on this here thread are multi-cultural. I spent lots of time on a ranch. About 10 years ago, my social circle at that time included mostly transsexuals. I was in the Army almost a decade. Then several years in a Ph.D. program at a small Eastern university, very preppy with tweed, penny loafers, and the OCBD shirt. I'm an Asian Culture buff and follow Buddhism East Asian style. I've lived 3 years in Panama and one year in Germany, speak both languages. But most of my personal style is influenced by retro mid-century WWII-era and Vietnam-era work and military wear.

This thread is actually the only place I know where folks can relate to all of this (well, almost all! :-) )

Miz, you are one fascinating cat! I think many folks on this here thread are multi-cultural. I spent lots of time on a ranch. About 10 years ago, my social circle at that time included mostly transsexuals. I was in the Army almost a decade. Then several years in a Ph.D. program at a small Eastern university, very preppy with tweed, penny loafers, and the OCBD shirt. I'm an Asian Culture buff and follow Buddhism East Asian style. I've lived 3 years in Panama and one year in Germany, speak both languages. But most of my personal style is influenced by retro mid-century WWII-era and Vietnam-era work and military wear.

This thread is actually the only place I know where folks can relate to all of this (well, almost all! :-) )

Woah, some interesting things there!

usually called a packer style boot.

Good info. In all my years, I never ran across anyone wearing lace-up Western boots. My grandfather was a cowboy, then a rancher and I used to visit him every year - I only saw the pull-on style. But White's has lace-ups too, and they don't mess around, so I knew *someone* must use them!

This is a fairly standard western-style laceup boot that you can find at any western store. Alot of cowboys wear that style as they are a little more practical for long workdays on the ranch/farm than regular cowboy boots (if you are going to be driving tractors/walking alot, etc.). The reason they have that little "shelf" in the back is indeed, for use with spurs. This way they are versatile enough to use for riding and for walking. My family has ranches in NorCal and at least 50% of men wear these.

Mahalo for the education.

greg, you're a crazy dude. after all that, you ended up in nyc. good stuff, man.

superfuture has got to have the most eclectic motherfuckers on the web.

nice green sub, by the way. man, after all those watches, japanese selvage jeans must seem like an inexpensive hobby for you!

none of us are motherfuckers .. except cheap aka cmf

Hah! He's s trip!

Miz - Yeah, jeans ure are cheaper. And leather jackets, and footwear too! And all this stuff goes really well together, since jeans go with about anything. This is a great and eclectic thread you started. All the shoes posted here go fantastic with jeans, even when there are lots of different shoe styles represented.

Hey, what shoes and jeans do you wear your Baracuta with? Any pictures?

hey guys, hoping if y'all could help me out. i just got a pair of those gucci 875 knock offs. just wondering how i could take care of them, as they are not raw leather or the kind that you polish (i think?) the leather is thick but soft to the touch, looks to by dyed a dark brown? treated leather? dunno