Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

k synthi just fucked my head up with his Crockett & Jones pick up ..

VERY nice ..

dito, those skye's are the shit. Are C&J's available anywhere on the web besides pediwear?

Synthi, I'm a big C&J fan too, and know what you're saying about the Dainite soles. I have the Conistons. Sometimes you want the dressy (or in my case the retro) look of a hand-crafted leather sole. So the C&J rep here in NYC told me you can special order them in double-thickness leather sole too. I might do that!

Hi Greg. Nice to see another C&J fan on here! ;) The day I stumbled across the Skye's I was actually on my way to Trickers on Jermyn St.to check out the Maltons but the store staff were so rude I left a bit disappointed only to wonder into C&J and a clerk there called Michael was the total opposite. This was juat before xmas and I told him I wouldn't be buying on the day yet he still passionately chatted away with me about 'real shoes' being something of a dying black art, the Goodyear welt process, cordo shell leather etc. A real gentleman, they'll definitely be getting my custom again. Like the NY store you mention, Michael also mentioned that many options can be possible and to just enquire. You thinking about going with a double leather sole when it comes to resoling your Coniston's?? They would look hot.

k synthi just fucked my head up with his Crockett & Jones pick up ..

VERY nice ..

lol, thanks, I'm glad you like them. After shipping and customs I imagine C&J in their NY branch becomes unfavourable against Alden equivalents but if you're interested just ask the store Greg mentions to send you a catalogue. Or on second thoughts don't cos your head will be messed up some more :D

batorizer, thanks for the comments. btw the C&J catalogue proudly mentions that they'll ship anywhere in the world and accept returns. However, assuming you're in the states visiting or getting in touch witht the NY branch may be a better idea, especially to sort out sizing. I find C&J lasts very aesthetically appealing.

Are those Eric Clapton ones available in the US? It's not listed in their website, unless it's a # that I need... superB has a pair too, along with... 875s? So are these fuckers available in foreign (not US) markets?

Thanks.

Notice how these things darken with age? My RWs are already getting halfway there and I've had them less than a month.:(

Quick qustion about an ebay acution for some Docs.

The sole says made in England on these, does that mean that they're the good ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DR-MARTENS-BROWN-7-EYE-BOOTS-SHOES-LIKE-NEW-UK7-US-M8_W0QQitemZ150095367286QQihZ005QQcategoryZ63850QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I usually don't ask truly annoying questions like this but they're in a color I like and theyr'e CHEAP. No affiliation, might just be a nice pair of boots for me to kick around in. Nobody swipe them from under me ok?

red wing sizing is troublesom, cuz different styles fit diffrently, even though they are the same size and last..

my 875 in D are still pretty tight, hope that theyll get broken in soon.. actually given me a bloody heal several times... Kinda wish I got some wider ones.

So how do the Claptons fit compared to the 875s? The bloody heel didn't put you off I see, or did you get those first and the 875 afterward?

Of course a bloody heel don´t put me off RWs :)

Actually I got the claptons earlier, in a wider last (EE). They fit roomy and comfy, but the overall shape is pretty similar to 875s so its probably safe to get the same size/width. The plain toe might make the toebox a littler roomier perhaps.

The 875s are starting to get broken in, and with out an insole they don´t eat away at my heels atleast.

Familyman and Bijan,

I didn't know too much about the sole issues in Docs. One thing I like about them *is* the sole. One thing I don't like about them is the soft heel-cup. I've seen people wearing Docs that have a horizontal squish and a wrinkle at the back of the heel, right about 1/3" above the heel stitching. Like they never reinforced the heel cup. In other words, no support, flimsy, moving against the foot. So among all the boots I've sought after, I never bought a pair of Docs. But that crepe sole must be great!!

Greg- the Doc soles are PVC or something similar. I hear ya on the heel- they seem to collapse easier than other brands.

familyman- glad I can help out. Those are decent looking Docs, snatch em up!

I bought a pair of the 1905's but returned them. They're almost the same to the clapton, but it doesn't have the moc toe. Also the 1905's have a double stitch or something if I remember around the sole.

I also got my clapton's on ebay. They looked a little newer when I got them.

One note on Docs. It's been a while since I bought mine, but in the US you can't get half sizes. In the UK and Canada you can. I ordered mine from Canada and got my right size.

Freak me, starting reading this thread 4 hours ago and now it's 1am, and i have to go to work tomorrow.

don't know too much about baxter boots. tried them on when Gowings was still open in Sydney (before they opened like 3 stores and then went belly-up) - I think. It was about 6 years ago - could have been some other boot, but I'm pretty sure it was the Baxters. Remembered the quality to be excellent, just as good as RMW for about 2/3 the price, but way too narrow for my foot and ended up getting a pair of RMW Henleys. Then Gowings had their annual sale and I ended up buying another pair of Henleys in the space of a month. One brown and one black. for an unemployed uni student, that probably wasn't one of my best decisions.

I'll try and post some pics later. I've kept them in great condition, mainly due to me babying them outrageously. trying to get some wear in them now, so that I won't feel so guilty when I fork over $800AUD+ for my shell cordovans.

This thread's going to destroy my credit rating. :(

anyone ever hear of quoddy trail...

www.quoddytrail.com

A number of trads over at AAAC have their boat shoes and camp mocs. High quality hand made stuff, very well spoken of. I really want a pair of their penny loafers for super casual sockless wear.

They are apparently a really good company to work with and can accomodate slight changes to their designs for no additonal cost. They basically make the shoe when you order is so there's a 2-4 week wait time on delivery usually. It's just two guys in a shop making shoes in maine.

Yes, I bought the 11s as the 11.5's were too big. Then after a day the 11's were too tight. So I got the 11.5's claptons and the fits nice. A bit roomy, but nice. But I'm always a stickler for shoes fitting right.