Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

coleslawyum; beautiful collection & especially the Mccoys are amazing. I had the opportunity to check them in person myself and can only attest to the workmanship of these boots.

btw what is the difference between suede and roughout leather? Is it in fact the same leather and just processed differently or is it a different hide altogether? sorry if this was already answered before (searched for it on sufu but didnt find anything)

coleslaw —

Those LWs the blacks or are they brown? Not the brown on BiG, so I'm assuming they were something bought directly from Japan, right? How's the sizing? I'm sure there's a post of all these deets somewhere in here, but this thread's gotten too massive for its own good, and mine.

Will +rep when they let me.

btw what is the difference between suede and roughout leather? Is it in fact the same leather and just processed differently or is it a different hide altogether? sorry if this was already answered before (searched for it on sufu but didnt find anything)

I may be totally wrong here but I always thought roughout was simply reversed leather - rough side out. Suede on the other hand is split so you have two 'rough' sides and no smooth face.

Thanks everyone for the comments! The McCoy boots indeed have the best quality but are totally impractical for actual work.

The Lone Wolf sizing is about a half a size too big. So 9 = 9.5. fre$co, your suede definition is spot on. Let me add that nubuck is leather where the top coat is sanded to create a suede like finish similar to suede, though not as soft.

I may be totally wrong here but I always thought roughout was simply reversed leather - rough side out. Suede on the other hand is split so you have two 'rough' sides and no smooth face.

I had a talk about that with the counter clerk in the bespoke shoe factory in my town a couple of weeks ago. Suede is indeed split leather but not necessarily without a smooth face, the "velvety" outside is the split sid in any case. Roughout is unsplit leather with the original skin side facing inward.

Cordovan essentially is highly treated and polished roughout leather, that's why it's surface behaves so different from other types of leather.

I had a talk about that with the counter clerk in the bespoke shoe factory in my town a couple of weeks ago. Suede is indeed split leather but not necessarily without a smooth face, the "velvety" outside is the split sid in any case. Roughout is unsplit leather with the original skin side facing inward.

Cordovan essentially is highly treated and polished roughout leather, that's why it's surface behaves so different from other types of leather.

I agree with everything you said, and would just add that cordovan isn't like most other leathers in many ways. Much of that is because it's not actually the skin of the animal like other leathers, instead it's a layer of muscle underneath the skin.

I agree with everything you said, and would just add that cordovan isn't like most other leathers in many ways. Much of that is because it's not actually the skin of the animal like other leathers, instead it's a layer of muscle underneath the skin.

Really? I saw a clip of the horween factory where they are cutting the shell off of the horsehide. They were saying that it is almost impossible to find on the hide, except that it is noticeable because the hairline of the horse is slightly different from the rest of the hide.

I would still like to find a company that makes normal horsehide boots. Anyone out there. I was under the impression that Buco does.

I would still like to find a company that makes normal horsehide boots. Anyone out there. I was under the impression that Buco does.

these are horse hide

http://iceclimber.net/SHOP/SKB-02H.html

as are these....

www.the-steam-locomotive.jp/main/PRESSRELEASE/.../engineer.pdf

more:

http://celluloid1984.com/41_2243.html

and buco:

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/three-eight/rmc-ba6010-030/

Really? I saw a clip of the horween factory where they are cutting the shell off of the horsehide. They were saying that it is almost impossible to find on the hide, except that it is noticeable because the hairline of the horse is slightly different from the rest of the hide.

I saw the same vid I think it was posted here awhile back. And yes, the shell was cut straight from the hide, not a muscle underneath.

Thanks for the posts. I believe the steam locomotive link wasn't coming up for me, but unfortunately the other boots ain't my cup of tea. I like engineer style boots, but for some reason the bucos don't tickle my fancy.

Thanks for the posts. I believe the steam locomotive link wasn't coming up for me, but unfortunately the other boots ain't my cup of tea. I like engineer style boots, but for some reason the bucos don't tickle my fancy.

steam loco link did not work for me as well, here is a photo of the limited release wesco dirt master. horeshide beauties .

WE-DM129.jpg

Here123456

I know Red Wings aren't exactly a "top tier" boot, but they're damn solid. I've been wearing these GTs every day for a year and have put them through hell: 10+ mile hikes, biking, and a 3-month stay in Europe. I love them (though I'm psyched that my Bounty Hunters will be arriving soon...).

IMG_3063.jpg?t=1249928210

IMG_3068.jpg?t=1249928220

IMG_3069.jpg?t=1249928232

The steam locomotive boots were in a PDF link advertising upcoming releases. I'll try and find it again. They are an engineer boot. Kiya might know something since he sells their stuff now. Incidentally, those wallets and leather goods he posted from steam locomotive are also horse hide.

?i=http%3A%2F%2Fpds.exblog.jp%2Fpds%2F1%2F200805%2F29%2F48%2Fc0090448_15164896.jpg&maxsize=-3000

I just picked this last pair in stock that just happened to be in my size.

Never seen low-top red wings like these before. I can't find any info other than one Japanese blog. It doesn't seem to be part of the current regular line. Does anyone have any info on this?

thanks for the explanation Fresco! Is it safe to assume that roughouts need the same treatment as suede? Is it just as 'fragile' as suede or can it be worn hard?

thanks for the explanation Fresco! Is it safe to assume that roughouts need the same treatment as suede? Is it just as 'fragile' as suede or can it be worn hard?

Wear them hard! they are work boots.

The characteristic of roughout is that it won't scuff from heavy wear like full grain leather.