Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Yardsale,

Have you considered RM Willaims? Dealer boots (wholecuts with elastic sides) are their specialty. Plus their boots are literally wholecuts - ie. the uppers are from a single piece of leather with only a single seam at the back.

More info on the other SF.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=21179

edit: They have a couple of styles of belted ankle strap boots too. The 'stockman' i think it was called. Excellent quality while decently priced too.

Hey guys...I though I would write up a quick post on what I have finally settled on as my regimen for keeping my shells looking tip top. This is basically just an amalgamation of things from different resources online, but I am going to break it down step by step and put it all in once place.

The "don'ts" of shell cordovan care(from Alden of Carmel):

1. Do not use 'neutral' polish

2. Do not clean cordovan shoes using saddle soap

3. Do not attempt to clean cordovan shoes using petroleum distillates or cleaning fluids

4. Do not use any spray shines or aerosol type waterproofs

5. Do not attempt to dry wet shell cordovan shoes with heat or a heater. Wipe them dry, and allow them to dry naturally

6. Do not attempt to polish shell cordovan shoes while wet

The "do's" of shell cordovan care:

1. Always use cedar shoe trees when you aren't wearing your shoes, this prevents interior deteriation from sweat and the resultant bacteria.

2. After each time you wear your shell cordovan shoes, utilize the following routine(from mcarthur, poster on Ask Andy forums and shell afficionado/addict):

1-wipe with damp cloth

2- brush vigorously with a horse hair shoe brush

3-buff with a smooth cloth

3. Every 10-30 wears depending on how you wear your shoes and whether or not you want them at their most crisp at all times, it is time for a polish:

1-wipe with damp cloth

2-brush vigorously with a horse hair shoe brush

3-use a damp cotton ball to apply a thin layer of Cordovan colored Kiwi wax

paste polish to the entire shoe.

4-wait 2-5 minutes

5-apply small amount of polish to damp cotton ball and start buffing the dried

polish with small, quick, circular motions

6-once you have polished to the point where there isn't residual polish, brush

vigorously with a horse hair shoe brush

7-buff with a smooth cloth

I know there isn't anything ground-breaking or surprising in this regimen, but adherence to all of the "do's" really does yield a post-polish pair of boots that look like they are brand new minus any wear on the soles and the trademark cordovan creases. Enjoy!

Whiskey Alert!!!! 10D Split Toe Bluchers New In Box...Not my auction...do us all a favor and pick these up, wear them, and take pictures for us.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALDEN-SHELL-CORDOVAN-NORWEGIAN-BLUCHER-WHISKEY-10D_W0QQitemZ390011563258QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Men_s_Shoes?hash=item390011563258&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318

hey guys - I'm a long-time lurker to this thread. I've learned tons from you regular dudes about boots and shoes.

I just got some Peal and Co. monk straps off the bay, but my feets are just too wide! they are up in the supermarket, but I thought you gang might want to have a gander:

MWSnap015.jpg

MWSnap012.jpg

MWSnap013.jpg

MWSnap014.jpg

@tmadd

why shouldnt I use neutral or clear polish?

I figured that would be best for my alden AF60's (I thought that kiwi's cordovan colored polish would darken them to a blackish color...mine are the cordovan #8)

It is a "don't" that I have heeded since owning shells, so I can't offer proof that it is necessary, but according to reputable places on the net, neutral can leave a white film on shell. I don't have any info one way or another about the use of clear polish on shells, but since Cordovan color Kiwi works so well, I don't see much point in fooling around with Clear...especially because the less polish you can use to shine a pair of shells, the better. Using Cordovan Kiwi doesn't result in any darkening of #8 unless it has gone a long long time without polish or has seen a lot of sun. The last thing Alden does before they send a pair of shells out is polish them, and the polish they use is similar to if not actually Kiwi. Have you used neutral or clear polish on your AF60s? I would love to hear your experience...and see pics of your AF60s.

hey guys - I'm a long-time lurker to this thread. I've learned tons from you regular dudes about boots and shoes.

I just got some Peal and Co. monk straps off the bay, but my feets are just too wide! they are up in the supermarket, but I thought you gang might want to have a gander:

MWSnap014.jpg

If it's a close fit I'd recommend taking them to your local cobbler and getting them stretched wider. I had that done on some dress boots and it turned a poor fit into a perfect fit.

hi folks,

i have a problem with my new iron rangers boots which i bought from a onlinestore in germany, the model number is called 8112.

I put them on and took a step forward. I heard a loud "pop"...then another loud "pop."

I took that right boot off and found that although the sole was indeed stitched on, it had no glue (or the glue had given way) on the forefoot. The loose section of sole created an air bubble, then popped it each time I took a step.

i have already contacted the red wing customer service in USA and Germany but they can´t say anything about this popping sound.

has anybody the same issue and can give me a hint how i can resolve this issue, or should i walk some miles with the new boots on ?

i have make a video, after that you should know what i mean :)

iron2tb5.jpg

w1024.png

regards,

indynoob

thats not a bad idea, thats where i've gotten both my red wings and they have great service. I'm guessing you got those from Cultizm, if so, dont be discouraged from using cultizm, they have a really good reputation and this isn't a normal occurance from them. good luck, and cool boots.

drooling over these (in black!)

1014alden_l.jpg

info from Beams.co.jp site ->

Known as the "military last" uses the 379X, the best selling model arrives in 2 different types.

Elegant looking black 6 inch Boots Calf comes in Cork Sole, BISON GRAIN comes with the light and maximum cushioned Super Light Sole