Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Trubalance perf cap toe sounds awesome to me! Would be a vintage look, definitely.

As far as closeness to the Modified, I think the old Hampton would fit the bill but I'm not sure if Alden would approve a boot made on it.

So what does everyone think of:

Trubalance Last

Perferated Straight Tip High Boot

#8 Shell Cordovan

Double Leather Sole

Regular Welt, Close Heel

Metal Eyelets all the way up

Flat Waxed Laces

i must say, i'd put myself further in debt for those...

We could always do 2 versions, 1 with perf straight tip 1 with a plain toe. ;)

The only concern that I would have is that the plain toe will look a lot like this one:

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/Shoes-Shell_Cordovan_High_Lace_Boot_160.htm

However, the variations from that one would be that the footbed is not removable, double leather instead of commando, and eyelets to the top. I've been considering the AF53 for some time now as I should probably have a shoe with a commando sole and a soft removable footbed is nice sometimes too. (Especially right now since it seems that I may have broken my heel.)

I do like the perforated captoe idea though.

:eek: there was a cigar shell indy at leather soul?:eek:

you gotta be kiddin' me!

i want to die ...

If you take a 7D you can cease wanting to die, and start sending me money and soon you will have lightly worn Cigar Shell Indy boots. I love them and they are gorgeous works of art, but Cigar just isn't for me. Anyone with #8 405s in size 7, I would also be up for a trade.

We could always do 2 versions, 1 with perf straight tip 1 with a plain toe. ;)

I don't think thats a good idea...for my wallet. That would actually be amazing though, and probably no too much of a risk because they would essentially be boot versions of two of Alden's most classic, versatile shoes. Great Idea! Hopefully the wait time would be somewhere between 9 months and a year.

Are we going with a rear loop or no loop? I prefer no loop... I always get my pant leg caught on the silly loops...

Or since we are on the idea of 2 boots why not make one pair with the heel tab and one without?....Just to further make each pair special in their own way...

Does anybody have a definitive answer on what soaking a boot in water does to the leather? I'm really thinking about going WWII on my boots and soaking them to break them in, but I'm getting conflicting statements on what does to the boot. Some people say it will destroy the leather when the boot dries, others say it's quite fine.

The only concern that I would have is that the plain toe will look a lot like this one:

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/Shoes-Shell_Cordovan_High_Lace_Boot_160.htm

However, the variations from that one would be that the footbed is not removable, double leather instead of commando, and eyelets to the top. I've been considering the AF53 for some time now as I should probably have a shoe with a commando sole and a soft removable footbed is nice sometimes too. (Especially right now since it seems that I may have broken my heel.)

I do like the perforated captoe idea though.

thanks for this post, I had a hard time imagining what the Tru-Balance Last looked like other than on an Indy boot. They looked better than I had imagined. And since it is a wider last, if these boots do make it to production, I would order a narrower size which would also improve the look of them IMO. BTW since these are "rugged" boots, wouldn't a commando sole fit them better than double leather soles? Something to consider I guess...

Tom-

Is there any precedent set for a Balmoral Boot from Alden? Its something that I can't remember having every seen from them....

A Bal boot in #8 on Leydon, with a perf captoe and a double leather sole could be neat

I've been kindof inspired by the Hobo bal boot pictured here.... The alden being a lot more traditional and finely constructed mind you.....

http://hoboshoes.com/index.php?de_schuh&kid=4&sid=32

If you guys are ready, let's do it.

SuFu x LS #1

Perf Straight Tip

Tru-Balance Last

Double Leather Sole

Regular Welt w/Close Heel

#8 Shell Cordovan

SuFu x LS #1.2

Plain Toe

Tru-Balance Last

Double Leather Sole

Regular Welt w/Close Heel

#8 Shell Cordovan

If this is good, let's do it.

$595.00

6 months from confirmation from Alden

$100 non-refundable deposit to hold or order a non-stock size (other than 6-11D)

Must be registered member of SuFu to order

email to [email protected] if interested, I will email you an order form to fill out. Previous customers don't need to fill out an order form unless info has changed.

Email sent Tom...Thanks for this too I can't wait...

It's going to look great having basically an 86 boot in #8 Shell and with the eyelets all the way up...

Non-stock sizes? So... I'll have to pay a deposit if I wanted a 7.5EEE?

Also, the last time I talked to an Alden sales associate, I was told it wouldn't be a bad idea to size down even further, give how "Cordovan actually stretches even more than regular calf." How much credence should I give this statement?

Boot saving fund starts now...I might need to start a separate thread soliciting suggestions to make my new Top Ramen diet more palatable. There is no way that I can choose between the two of these.

its official!

tom, when do you need this heel pad by?

ASAP!

Non-stock sizes? So... I'll have to pay a deposit if I wanted a 7.5EEE?

Also, the last time I talked to an Alden sales associate, I was told it wouldn't be a bad idea to size down even further, give how "Cordovan actually stretches even more than regular calf." How much credence should I give this statement?

Yes, I won't order a 7.5EEE without a non-refundable deposit. Normally I charge either half or full for a size like that. I've been stuck with EEEs and Bs in the past that I couldn't sell for months and ended up selling for less than cost.

Shell does not stretch more than calf. That is false. In fact it hardly stretches at all, that's why the same pair of shoes made in shell will fit slightly larger: it doesn't stretch and tighten up on the last when the shoe is made. I would just stick to what you would normally wear regardless of shell or calf.

Boot saving fund starts now...I might need to start a separate thread soliciting suggestions to make my new Top Ramen diet more palatable. There is no way that I can choose between the two of these.

You know how much sodium is in those instant ramens!

its official!

tom, when do you need this heel pad by?

I had a great idea ?mark...I'm sending you a PM right now sir...

Finally got back on here after a few weeks of being gone.

For some reason my modem was preventing me from connecting to this site. It was a piece of shit, and I got a new one so its all good. I can connect to sufu now without using a proxy server...haha

Anyways,

in regards to the boot soaking.

everything I've seen about that is conflicting.

I know that the Alden restoration service will generally not repair boots that have had this done to them. Basically from my understanding, it gets into the cork foundation underneath the insole of the boot, and actually rots the cork, and welt connection from the inside. Leaving them nothing to fix your boot with. It can also dry rot the internal stitching, and make the liner inside tALDEN-86007-1.JPGhe boot become moldy. I remember Alden receiving boots from someone that had gone on a trek of the amazon with, and they had walked though the amazon shallows with them on. (yes a pair of 405's, terrible choice) and the entire interior was destroyed apparently, even though they looked fine on the outside. The liner had held in moisture dry rotting it from the inside out. That's only with Alden construction though.

With the WWII type boots the fact that there is no liner prevents many, if not all of these factors from happening. Keep in mind that soldiers often had the ability to get a new pair of boots every 6-8 weeks so they could care less if they soaked them if it made them more comfortable. They were expendable.

Alright, in regards to the 86, boot, here are some pictures from my endless super cosmic galaxy of Alden boot pictures. The 007 means these have a full leather liner, compared to the standard model which is canvas. This boot has been produced since Alden opened.

ALDEN-86007-1.JPG

ALDEN-86007-17.JPG

ALDEN-86007-3.JPG

ALDEN-86007-6.JPG

P1010006.JPGcopy-vi.jpg

P1010007.JPGcopy-vi.jpg

P1010008.JPGcopy-vi.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Hope that's enough info and pictures.

Does anybody have a definitive answer on what soaking a boot in water does to the leather? I'm really thinking about going WWII on my boots and soaking them to break them in, but I'm getting conflicting statements on what does to the boot. Some people say it will destroy the leather when the boot dries, others say it's quite fine.

I didn't soak my garison boots because they were lightly broken in, but I did do a full soak on my wesco boss boots as they were making my shins bleed after a week of wear...

I soaked them and wore them around the neighborhood for a few hours till they dried and it made a huge difference. Been going on 4 years or so now and I don't have any trouble with them...

Actually being asked by myself, how I should size on the other lasts, based on my perfectly fitting 12 A/C Trubalance shoe, Alden of Carmel stated this:

'You could try size 12 D in the Leydon, Plaza and Aberdeen lasts, and 12 C in the Van and Barrie lasts.'

and

'If your feet are very narrow, then we might not recommend 12 D in those first lasts [Leydon, Plaza and Aberdeen lasts - TT], and instead, might recommend 12 1/2 C'

Good to know!

Add-On (FYI):

'The Grant last fits larger than the Aberdeen, Plaza, and Leydon lasts, but smaller than the Barrie and Trubalance last. You could try size 12 C in the Grant, but we can't be certain, and the shoes might be a little small.'