Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Most Alden lasts look exactly the same to me. You guys can really tell the difference just on sight?

The only distinct lasts that I can tell by looking are Aberdeen (looks like a elongated potato), and Plaza (slight chisel).

I understand if there are fitment issues but I don't get all the last debate. They are all moderate, rounded, traditional, and look almost exactly the same...

Actually being asked by myself, how I should size on the other lasts, based on my perfectly fitting 12 A/C Trubalance shoe, Alden of Carmel stated this:

'You could try size 12 D in the Leydon, Plaza and Aberdeen lasts, and 12 C in the Van and Barrie lasts.'

and

'If your feet are very narrow, then we might not recommend 12 D in those first lasts [Leydon, Plaza and Aberdeen lasts - TT], and instead, might recommend 12 1/2 C'

Good to know!

Actually being asked by myself, how I should size on the other lasts, based on my perfectly fitting 12 A/C Trubalance shoe, Alden of Carmel stated this:

'You could try size 12 D in the Leydon, Plaza and Aberdeen lasts, and 12 C in the Van and Barrie lasts.'

and

'If your feet are very narrow, then we might not recommend 12 D in those first lasts [Leydon, Plaza and Aberdeen lasts - TT], and instead, might recommend 12 1/2 C'

Good to know!

This is pretty much how I was informed to size up the other last's of Alden to the Trubalance...basically take your Trubalance size and go up a half size from your Trubalance and keep the same width...

I wear an 11E in the Trubalance Last and the only other last that I have actually worn is a Plaza...In that Last I had an 11.5 E and it fit just fine to me...I'm sure most of the similar last's are generally the same as far as sizing goes...

Speaking of homages to vintage Alden...I don't know what you are cooking up for the heelpad ?mark, but I was just looking at pictures of vintage Aldens, and though I admittedly don't have much of an eye for these things, I think there might be some interesting things you could do based on the old school Alden "4 As" Logo.

yah i am going in that direction but sufu has got to have its presence as well. gotta be balance. im going for a more typographic treatment instead of an image graphic. ill cook something up for you guys to see in a couple of weeks. but til then if anyone has suggestions, pointers or links for me to look at.. send them over. i need all the research i can get.

?mark,

its guys like you who make this place such an adventure!

(.. and guys like me who make it suck by always asking questions, i know!)

i partly solved my above question by adding inlays.

should go back to the 'think first, ask later'-routine.

kind of relied too much on sufu lately, waiting for answers instead of acting :(

Does anyone have any good comparison shots of TruBalance and Grant last. I like the idea that was responsible for Tom's suggestion of the Grant, but so far, the photos we've seen have made the TruBalance look like a great option for these boots.

I can probably cook some up, but this was my Plaza & Grant last comparison post that should help you out:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=906281#post906281

MiniW,

Gorgeous shoes...thanks for the comparison shot. Seeing them side by side, I really think that for a beefy vintage style captoe, TruBalance is great. It also appears that TruBalance is probably as close to modified as any of the US available lasts are...not nearly as crazy, but much closer aesthetically than anything else available.

After about 6 months on the waiting list, I finally got some Cigar Indys in from Tom at LeatherSoul. (Tom and LeatherSoul, you're the best!) Completely uncensored NSFW content coming up ;):

Full frontal shot:

img0561sizedcq5.jpg

Showing some sole:

img0564sizedhk3.jpg

w/ Sorahikos:

img0570sizedwj6.jpgimg0570sizedvy6.jpg

The whole happy family:

img0573sizedcw6.jpg

As you can tell, my #8 Indy's get most of my attention, but I think soon enough, the pair in cigar may become the new favorite.

:eek: there was a cigar shell indy at leather soul?:eek:

you gotta be kiddin' me!

i want to die ...

Trubalance perf cap toe sounds awesome to me! Would be a vintage look, definitely.

As far as closeness to the Modified, I think the old Hampton would fit the bill but I'm not sure if Alden would approve a boot made on it.

So what does everyone think of:

Trubalance Last

Perferated Straight Tip High Boot

#8 Shell Cordovan

Double Leather Sole

Regular Welt, Close Heel

Metal Eyelets all the way up

Flat Waxed Laces

That sounds just like I was thinking when I thought about the 86 boot...With the eyelets all the way up and the double leather sole in #8 it sounds perfect...

Trubalance perf cap toe sounds awesome to me! Would be a vintage look, definitely.

As far as closeness to the Modified, I think the old Hampton would fit the bill but I'm not sure if Alden would approve a boot made on it.

So what does everyone think of:

Trubalance Last

Perferated Straight Tip High Boot

#8 Shell Cordovan

Double Leather Sole

Regular Welt, Close Heel

Metal Eyelets all the way up

Flat Waxed Laces

I think that is absolutely perfect!

I think that covers most of our bases really...It's unique as in general you don't see the 86 model in a #8 Shell with eyelets all the way up....It's def a vintage boot as it's been in the Alden Catalog for a great many years now...It has the last of our favorite 405 boot (Connection to this forum as we all seem to love the "Indy" boot)...and the wider last makes it look more like a military boot than say a Plaza last...That pretty much covers us right?...Plus with the Perf Toe Cap it also adds an element of class to the boot as well...

Tom where do I send you a deposit for an 11E?

http://www.beams.co.jp/beams_e/html/topics_0802.php

Does anybody know what type of last the "Military Last" is that was used on one of the pairs on this page? It lookes to be a bit intersting...Plus as Bill was just stating this pair has Eyelets all the way up and no speed lace hooks...This could be a nice look....

0122alden1_l.jpg

- i know this is the modified last but I seriously adore this profile and im sure it would appeal to many japanophiles, goth ninjas and denim heads.... lusting after items exclusive to japan is what SuFu is about ( I thought hehe )..

If I could make my own boot thats pretty much how id like it minus a slight sole curve.

just my two cents.

Currentlt lusting after the more accessible trickers burford in black - post pics if you have them please...

may i inquire, what is the 86 model? pics appreciated!

It's that black pair with the perf toe cap a few posts up...That is the 86 Trubalance Last model...

We could always do 2 versions, 1 with perf straight tip 1 with a plain toe. ;)

I better start smooth talking the wife now then...Maybe if I tell her that the SuFu Code of Ethics (Imaginary......) demands that I buy both pairs....Just on general principle...You all would play along right? Right?.................................