Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Good to see the talk about the AldenxSufu boot is back up again.

but MiniW, you're mentioning Tom only sells the cigar shells in store, so does that mean there is no chance to get the custom boots in that color?

It's just got to be cigar, on plaza or leydon.. whatever.. that's all good

plain toe... maybe even, like some suggested, captoe! after some consideration i'd defenitely be up for that.

Great. More LSXSuFu special boot talk. I'm definitely in for a cigar, plain toe, plaza or leydon, blind eyes all the way up, double sole, close heel. That would be the perfect for me. But I am up for other options, but it has to be cigar and plain toe. The pair on the modified last a few pages back were awesome.

You all talked me into it...A plain toe would be better for casual wear...Gotta have double leather souls though...and of course I'm a big fan of the blind eyelets (even though it looks like those are a no go)...I can go either Cigar or #8 but from what you all have been saying LS dosen't do Cigar for shipping orders...That would make it very hard for us who are not able to get to their store to pick a pair up...

I don't think it would be a problem with shipping if this thing does happen. But then again tom never shared his input here yet. Well see.

And Edmond^ I can't wait til u put fit pics up. Gonna be interesting.

You all talked me into it...A plain toe would be better for casual wear...Gotta have double leather souls though...and of course I'm a big fan of the blind eyelets (even though it looks like those are a no go)...I can go either Cigar or #8 but from what you all have been saying LS dosen't do Cigar for shipping orders...That would make it very hard for us who are not able to get to their store to pick a pair up...

I love that there are more ppl interested in a group order of the Alden boot, but this is what I have gathered from looking into placing a custom order for the past 2 months, and should be helpful...

Just to keep the talk on track, Cigar Shell is out of the question. Not only will Leather Soul not ship them out from what I've read, but there is a shortage of cigar shell leather and waiting time may range from over 1 year to infinite. PLUS when I was at the Alden store on Madison 2 days ago, I talked to the salesman about custom orders in shell cordovan, he said that standard colors take 4-6 months to arrive, for cigar shell it will definitely be longer, and it would be an additional $150 surcharge for the shoe just to make it with cigar shell. Of course we were talking about 1 pair of boots, but if it would take a long time to complete one pair of boots, imagine multiplying that time period by 10 or 15. Basically we'd all be at least 5 years older and who knows if we'd even want or can afford the boots at that time.

As for the modified last, again this would be nearly impossible to get. Please read what Rodeo Bill wrote about it after talking to the Alden salesman in HK. The shoes are indeed comfortable (I personally tried them on at Moulded shoe in NYC), however asthetic wise I think they are in no way better than some of the other standard lasts that Alden sells to the U.S. public (Grant, Plaza, Leydon). And personally I prefer the look of the sleeker lasts which happen to be easier to obtain as well. Yes I know Modified Last is rare and that there is some bragging rights to owning a pair in them, but in all seriousness, unless you have really strong orthotic needs, I don't think it is worth it to jump through the extra hoops to get a batch ordered in that last, if it is even possible. The bottom line is that all Alden shoes are pretty comfortable if you get the right size, that is part of their charm. If the modified last is the only last that is truly comfortable, then why would Alden not sell it readily in the U.S.?

Anyways, I think the most realistic, and feasible way for a group of us to get something we'd be very happy with is to see what shell cordovan boots Leather Soul or Alden of Camel have ALREADY made in the past (which if popular enough, is currently sold out), and get enough people interested in that one design so that the order can be processed to Alden.

Sorry I did not mean to shoot down any dreams of the perfect boot. Talk of your dream boot is always welcome and if you can make it happen by some other means, then go for it!

BTW the following boots are all close to perfect IMO and I'd be willing to send a deposit for anyone of them right now! If you care to read the comments, you can see that they are all pretty much sold out :(

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/2008/08/04/alden-shoes-plaza-cap-toe-dress-boot/

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/2008/06/26/alden-shoes-the-sf-boot/

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/2008/06/08/alden-shoes-plaza-wing-tip-boot/

I love that there are more ppl interested in a group order of the Alden boot, but this is what I have gathered from looking into placing a custom order for the past 2 months, and should be helpful...

Just to keep the talk on track, Cigar Shell is out of the question. Not only will Leather Soul not ship them out from what I've read, but there is a shortage of cigar shell leather and waiting time may range from over 1 year to infinite. PLUS when I was at the Alden store on Madison 2 days ago, I talked to the salesman about custom orders in shell cordovan, he said that standard colors take 4-6 months to arrive, for cigar shell it will definitely be longer, and it would be an additional $150 surcharge for the shoe just to make it with cigar shell. Of course we were talking about 1 pair of boots, but if it would take a long time to complete one pair of boots, imagine multiplying that time period by 10 or 15. Basically we'd all be at least 5 years older and who knows if we'd even want or can afford the boots at that time.

As for the modified last, again this would be nearly impossible to get. Please read what Rodeo Bill wrote about it after talking to the Alden salesman in HK. The shoes are indeed comfortable (I personally tried them on at Moulded shoe in NYC), however asthetic wise I think they are in no way better than some of the other standard lasts that Alden sells to the U.S. public (Grant, Plaza, Leydon). And personally I prefer the look of the sleeker lasts which happen to be easier to obtain as well. Yes I know Modified Last is rare and that there is some bragging rights to owning a pair in them, but in all seriousness, unless you have really strong orthotic needs, I don't think it is worth it to jump through the extra hoops to get a batch ordered in that last, if it is even possible. The bottom line is that all Alden shoes are pretty comfortable if you get the right size, that is part of their charm. If the modified last is the only last that is truly comfortable, then why would Alden not sell it readily in the U.S.?

Anyways, I think the most realistic, and feasible way for a group of us to get something we'd be very happy with is to see what shell cordovan boots Leather Soul or Alden of Camel have ALREADY made in the past (which if popular enough, is currently sold out), and get enough people interested in that one design so that the order can be processed to Alden.

Sorry I did not mean to shoot down any dreams of the perfect boot. Talk of your dream boot is always welcome and if you can make it happen by some other means, then go for it!

BTW the following boots are all close to perfect IMO and I'd be willing to send a deposit for anyone of them right now! If you care to read the comments, you can see that they are all pretty much sold out :(

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/2008/08/04/alden-shoes-plaza-cap-toe-dress-boot/

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/2008/06/26/alden-shoes-the-sf-boot/

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/2008/06/08/alden-shoes-plaza-wing-tip-boot/

I have to agree with on this as it seems like it could possibly take forever to get a pair done up in a Cigar...I'm def more interested in the #8 as it seems more realistic that we could possibly get a pair done up...I also agree with you that all of those boots are very nice (esp the pair that I orginally saw - SF x LS - and I would also be willing to send a deposit right this minute if any of them were to be offered...

MiniW it would seem that you and I have very close taste as far as Alden's are concerned as I too agree that those 3 pairs you posted are near perfect...They are really what I have been thinking about for my first pair of Cordoven boots...Great stuff all around...Though through talking with some of you on this thread and in pm I'm really starting to like the plain toe as well...TOO MANY CHOICES!!! Maybe a SF x LS type boot with a plain toe in #8 would be fairly great as well...

soooo tongue on my boots slipping to the side. How to fix? I know people do some subtle stitching to hold it in place.

Actually the tongue on both the right and left shoes of my oldest pair of 405's slip very bad...When I get them re-heeled in the near future I'm planning on getting the small stitch placed on the inner portion of the boot near the speed lace hooks...Most good coblers can place the new stitching over the pre-existing stitches so that it's seemless...

Hi guys, I think you are all on the right track. My opinion is to work out a new design for the SuFu crowd. Then it will be something new, not just a remake.

Cigar is 99% impossible. We can't get guaranteed completion timeframes. Most likely 3-5 years so I don't think it's worth it. Modified is 100% impossible. Especially for me since I deal mostly with Japanese.

If you guys like the Plaza, why not a Plaza #8 high boot, plain toe, w/double leather sole, close welt? If there is an artist in here we could even do a special heel pad design which I'd pay for. SuFu x LS with some design.

One thing to remember too is the Plaza doesn't come in anything wider than an E.

That's it for now, let me know if there are any other questions.

Hi guys, I think you are all on the right track. My opinion is to work out a new design for the SuFu crowd. Then it will be something new, not just a remake.

Cigar is 99% impossible. We can't get guaranteed completion timeframes. Most likely 3-5 years so I don't think it's worth it. Modified is 100% impossible. Especially for me since I deal mostly with Japanese.

If you guys like the Plaza, why not a Plaza #8 high boot, plain toe, w/double leather sole, close welt? If there is an artist in here we could even do a special heel pad design which I'd pay for. SuFu x LS with some design.

One thing to remember too is the Plaza doesn't come in anything wider than an E.

Where do I sign and send the deposit Tom? Let's get this boot going because that sounds like what I wan't...

The Mod Last sounded intersting to me but since I have a low arch on my feet It's not going to fit me right no matter what size I get anyway...Just give me what you outlined above in an 11E please...

Actually Tom what about a Leydon Last? It's sounds very nice and I think it might look very good with a plain toe...I don't think I've ever seen a pair of the Laydon Last in person and since you wan't to make this boot different than your previous specials why not make it a special last as well...I agree with YounPunch as that would be something special in this boot...

soooo tongue on my boots slipping to the side. How to fix? I know people do some subtle stitching to hold it in place.

I posted some pics of my 405's that I had that trouble with the right tongue... check back a few months to see.. I put a few stitches and it worked great.

I think we should still do a special sufu x LS x Alden boot in cigar shell. Only sufu would be crazy enough (and stupid/ fanatic enough) to wait 3 years for boots! But I'm open to #8 if thats the only "feasable" option.

Oh, and just to throw this out there, my dream Alden would be a NST High boot in whisky shell cordovan, 360 welt with crepe sole.

I just got the WWII Impressions boots! I know quite a few guys are curious about the fit, so I took a few photos and tried them on.

Short-ish review:

There's no information about the manufacturer except for a "Made in the USA" tag. A quick google seems to say this is indeed a Corcoran tag.

The fit is... odd. I can see why some guys on the forum say the Munson last feels blobbish. It almost feels as if there's no real defining shape to the boot. The Alden 405s were an instant "Ah" when I pulled them on and felt very structured around my foot. The service shoes just seem sort of blobish and not very well defined. the toebox is more generous than the 405. I wear a size 7.5EEE in the Alden, I ordered a 8D for the service shoe, and the toebox was still a tad spacey over my toes. There's about a little under an inch of space left in front of my large toe. Arch support feels a tad weird... it's there, just not as great as the 405s. I would describe it as a tad flat for my tastes. Laced up the leather closes pretty comfortably over my ankle, but it still feels as if there's space in there. Once I slipped in a set of inserts the space filled up better.

The construction inspires confidence. Triple and quadruple stitching everywhere, sole nailed to the bottom of the shoe, and generally thicker leather than the 405.

If I really had to sum it up, I guess here's what I'd say. With the Aldens, they were comfortable from the get-go. With the service shoes, I figure I'll have to do some serious breaking in before I can start doing PT in these. Overall, I'm happy about the $150 I paid for them, and won't have any hesitations about wearing them out in the snow with thick wool socks when I don't want my Aldens to suffer, while still looking retro-stylish.

service01rj3.jpg

Straight out of the box, with a big "Made in the USA" tag. "Handcrafted in the Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania..."

service02ww7.jpg

Inside of the boot. "Made exclusively for www. wwiiimpresions.com".

service03ls8.jpg

And the other side. No sign of who the manufacturer is. Sized 8D.

service05fh3.jpg

The sole.

service08hx5.jpg

Compared to the Alden 405. Noticeably rounder toe, makes me want to wear these with fatigues or dungarees.

service09wt9.jpg

Closeup on the quadruple stitching of the cap-toe and the shoe. The stitching on the welt is actually neater than some parts of my 405s.

If anybody wants to see any other part of the shoe or got any other questions about the fit, I'll try my best to answer!

Quick edit: Just for kicks I pulled out a pair of Merino wool winter socks and tried on the boots without inserts. They instantly felt a lot better, very nicely wrapped around my feet, so I suppose that's how they were meant to be worn, i.e. with padded wool Army socks. With cotton crew socks, I'd still need to stick in my cork inserts.

Tom,

Have you ever had a plain toe plaza boot in your store yet, or is that combination a design that would be new for you?

And what do you think about the leydon last?

Never had a plain toe Plaza boot yet.

I don't know. I like the Leydon for fitting purposes because it is such a neutral last that fits pretty much everyone. But, I don't really like the look on a high boot. A low cut shoe yes, but high boot, not the best imho.

I think we should still do a special sufu x LS x Alden boot in cigar shell. Only sufu would be crazy enough (and stupid/ fanatic enough) to wait 3 years for boots! But I'm open to #8 if thats the only "feasable" option.

Oh, and just to throw this out there, my dream Alden would be a NST High boot in whisky shell cordovan, 360 welt with crepe sole.

Whiskey shell NST...hehe...I've seen it in Japan a few years ago. It was like seeing Bigfoot.

hey tom. i do typography. i would love to do a design for this hee lpad.

hey tom. i do typography. i would love to do a design for this hee lpad.

as an interested non-investor, I'd back ?uestionmark to do the liner graphics:). Also reposted Leydon last pic for those who haven't seen it. It's definitely slimmer than Truebalance (even though I sized up a width from D to E), even if I wouldn;'t really call it a true 'dress' shoe. 3016144973_da264ea459.jpg

What if you do a Trubalance Last then? It's seemingly popular on here and since it is going to be a boot collab with this forum why not?

Trubalance Last...Double Leather Sole...Close Welt...Blind Eyelets (If possible) and Speed Lace Hooks...#8 Shell...Plain Toe

I say YES to high boot, #8 shell, and plaza last! Plain toe? This gave me some pause, but in the current time of financial hardship, a plain toe may be just the type of understated elegance that would be appropriate.

Anyways this I guess would be a very rough sketch of what they'd look like

Library-371.jpg

Library-372.jpg

(haha btw I am actually very skilled with photoshop, but I don't have it anymore since I got my mac, this is iphoto skills here. cheers)

I say YES to high boot, #8 shell, and plaza last! Plain toe? This gave me some pause, but in the current time of financial hardship, a plain toe may be just the type of understated elegance that would be appropriate.

Anyways this I guess would be a very rough sketch of what they'd look like

Library-371.jpg

Library-372.jpg

(haha btw I am actually very skilled with photoshop, but I don't have it anymore since I got my mac, this is iphoto skills here. cheers)

That looks really good actually...The Plaza might be the better last to go with here...With the Plain Toe it really accomidates the last very well...I have to agree with Tom and everybody else here that this should be the SF x LS Boot...

I think that's a great boot. I did hear that if it's going to be blind eyes, it has to eyes all the way up. No speed hooks. On a plaza lasted boot, I prefer blind eyes.

That looks really good actually...The Plaza might be the better last to go with here...With the Plain Toe it really accomidates the last very well...I have to agree with Tom and everybody else here that this should be the SF x LS Boot...