Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Could you guys recommend a decent pair of oxford boots? I'm looking to replace my Skechers oxfords that finally cracked and peeled, but really hating how their latest oxfords (Alley cat) are all overdesigned with cushioned bands around the ankles and leather loops... just a nice, uninsulated, Goodyear welt outsoled oxford would be nice...

Does anyone have any thoughts or information on Jodhpur Boots?

MBAJOD?$278$

I belive they're basically riding boots, and from the name I;d guess they originated in colonial India. Most of the big name UK makers do them (C&J Trickers Edward Green Alfred Sergeant etc). They're open at the sides, and you do them up by wrapping the strap round your ankle twice and doing up the buckle at the side.

I always thought they were a bit too fancy looking for my taste, but today I was in George Cleverley in the Royal Arcade in London (http://www.gjcleverley.co.uk/) and they had some really amazing bespoke Jodhpur boots made from black pigskin in for repair (sorry no photo). Obviously the fact they were bespoke, oldish, and made from really grainy leather made them look extra nice, but it made me think that even a more basic version might get really nice after a bit of wear:rolleyes:

I won;t be buying anything more for a while, but these might be moving up my wish list... what do you guys reckon?

^^ those are gorgeous Coleslaw! Edgward Green right? I'm eating my words about EG from a few pages back:o

by the way Akilae I'd be interested to see what your Sketchers were- I only know them for padded-up skate trainers. What do you mean by oxford boots? I have these ones, from Foster & Sons in London, which is what I'd call an Oxford boot (same idea as the ones Coleslawyum posted)

2831772643_c8364d2883.jpg?v=0

RB, those Foster & Sons are beautiful. Coincidently, I was just looking into getting some plain toe lace less boots. I think that the Jodhpur Boots are very elegant. Couple that with some slim jeans and you're good to go.

As far as EG's, I'm probably going to trek down to the West Village this afternoon to take a closer look.

I've been checking out jodhpur boots too, having owned some in the past. They used to be cheap and well-made, given that you had to wear them while running thru country fields trying to catch your nag, At one time you'd also get the name applied to a Chelsea-style boot, but with the old-school Brit makers you always seem to get the strap.

I didn't notice your link was for Charles Tyrwhit, (sp?) , I had another pair bookmarked in a burgundy-ish leather which looks a bit less prissy. Sadly for me, though, it has a gold buckle and is therefore not worthy of consideration. Sorry, can't get this to link in properly:

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/p/gbpdefault/pr/MCABJB/Bordeaux-Jodhphur-Boot/s/Men's-Shoes/productdetail.aspx?ppp=12&sortBy=Relevance&page=3& back=False&canned=&Top=1&browse=Y

I would be hopeful that the Trickers' are well-made, but I find the leather on theirs - which is called the Chepstow - too high-gloss; they're part of their swanky 'Corniche' collection, whereas I'd like to see them in a more workmanlike leather like you'd get on, say, the Burford.

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/trickers/products/724.php

The same site also has riding boots by Sanders (also with prissy gold buckles):

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/sanders/products/538.php

There must be a perfect pair out there somewhere...

thanks a lot Paul T- same as you, these have been at the back of my mind for a while.

to be honest, the Tyrwhit link was just the first that camu up from Google images, I'm pretty busy today! I agree with you that they can look a bit feminine, and that's partly what's put me off in the past. But seeing this beat-up bespoke pair in black pigskin today (silver buckle) made me think that the perfect pair must be out there (as you say!)

Funny that you mention Sanders- I;ve noticed them around for a while, and they're pretty nice, although not top level quality-wise I'd say. I've been looking at their George boot- P%20-%20KING%20GEORGE%208038.jpg

I've been told they also make these for the British Army, and I think these (from Gieves & Hawkes' uniform departmenr) are made by them too:

thumb021.jpg

On my recent Japan trip I saw a lot of Sanders boots in shops, including a quite nice Evisu/Yamane Deluxe pair of suede chukkas with red foam rubber soles

^^Hopefully, you don't have a Skechers budget. If so, looks like its off to the thrift shop!

When you say oxford boot, do you mean this?

Woops, should have been more specific. I meant oxfords such as these:

ogboots.jpg

For some reason "oxfords" seem to apply to two kinds of shoes...

My budget is much better than Skechers (those were college days). I just bought a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers, so I don't expect a pair of good oxfords to go above that?

These look great. What does a pair like this cost?

Jumping up to a leather lined calf skin Semi-Dress only adds a modest $30 to the cost of the boots.... For more specifics, email me directly for Sufu pricing... wink-wink

Bill, do they still issue these boots to prisoners? I mean quadruple stitched, leather welted boots? These sure are nice. I mean if you gotta go to prison, at least you got some sweet dogs to kick around in.

As far as I know, yes these are issued to inmates..... One of the owners of Stronghold has a pair and I've witnessed him stopped on the street by ex-cons who recognized them!....("How did you get out with those??") On my pair there is some sloppy stitching, and the leather less than amazing, but yeah.... for the look and to appreciate the old school construction, they're great

There's an awesome pair of White's roughouts on ebay right now.

If they were my size, I'd be all over them.

ba40_1.JPG

Roughout is the new Lanvin.....

Somebody PLEASE order a pair of Regular Toe Smokejumpers in all Roughout, but with smooth Toe Caps and Heels!! I want to see them and photograph them......and own them and wear them for that matter.....but I'm putting myself on 2008 lockdown on ordering more White's for myself...

^^Sweet. Got some new Wesco rough outs coming. Pics soon.

I took a trip down to Leffot's this afternoon on 10 Christopher Street. I was curious to check out some Edward Green firsthand. The finishing is top notch as well as the craftsmanship. However, the brands that really stood out for me were the French ones, especially Aubercy. Attention to detail was unbelievable. It was awe inspiring.

I spoke with Steve the shop owner for a bit. He is a nice gentleman and is really knowledgeable of the products he carries. You can check out his blog.

Speaking of Edward Green, they are having a trunk show at the store on October 18th. So if you have any MTO or Top Drawer questions for EG, that would be the day to ask them. Here are all the brands they carry if anyone is interested in checking them out.

Artioli

Aubercy

Church's

Edward Green

Gaziano & Girling

J.M. Weston

Pierre Corthay

I know a few of you have been waiting for/requesting a review of the WWIIimpressions Corcoran built boondocker boots.... I THINK I have a pair now, and here're my thoughts:

First of all, I say I "think" I have the Corcoran boots because thats how they were described in the ebay auction from which I bought them. They seem to match the wwiiimpressions website pictures and descriptions without exception, but there is no manufacturer label in them anywhere... The size is handwritten inside each boot.

The shape of the boots are great, the lasting looks and feels authentic to the origional boondockers that I have seen. The toes are broader and rounder in my opinion than the picture leads you to beleive...more like the Army Roughout boot is pictured on the WWIIimpressions site...

Fitting: On the inside of each boot there is a "10" in red ink, overwritten with a "9.5" in black ink, presumably a factory correction, and not the previous owner changing the stated size of the boot.... Assuming they are infact the 9.5, the boots are cut generous, both in length and width... I would say get your regular Red Wing/White's size in length, but expect them to feel more like E if not EE in width. I put a nice full length insole in mine and they feel dreamy now...

Construction is solid and orderly....none of the sloppy stitching that you'll see in the At The Front boots. Being that these come from Corcoran, they are built to the same standards as the other military boots they make.... They look and feel like REAL boots, not costume boots, or dress up boots.

The only glaring inaccuracy in the design is the incorrect sole tread pattern...but for me personally....I could care less. The only boondocker repro's of merit that have the correct sole are the Buzz Ricksons and Steve McQueen editions.... Both about $600.... These are $150 from the website...I paid less than $100 in the condition you see them pictured.

photo-67.jpg

hey bill, how do you think the leather will hold up with snow and the sole for ice?

I spoke with Steve the shop owner for a bit. He is a nice gentleman and is really knowledgeable of the products he carries.

I agree. I spoke with him for at least 30 minutes and he was very knowledgeable. For some reason, they keep planning their trunk shows when I have to travel... and I don't travel that often. Argh... I really wanted to go to the EG trunk show.

2780401136ba9ce4adacebe53341abbae29694f.jpg

Picked up from the same little Italian boot shop as my recent chukkas, and a pair of brown suede desert boots a while back. No name, they just say "steer oxford" and the size. Interesting for sure, what do you guys think? I think these will age well.

Woops, should have been more specific. I meant oxfords such as these:

ogboots.jpg

For some reason "oxfords" seem to apply to two kinds of shoes...

My budget is much better than Skechers (those were college days). I just bought a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers, so I don't expect a pair of good oxfords to go above that?

I like these! and i think they;re looking great beat up:). nice photo too.

I'm not really that knowledgable about work boots- I tend to wear dressier, but I'd say Red Wing, Chipewa etc would be the right area to look. Other people here know a lot more...

regarding the oxford name, I think it was discussed a while back in this thread, but I found this in a shoe-making book I'm reading at the moment:

2927135590_5046b54935.jpg?v=0

"OXFORD shoes have the vamp overlapping the quarters with the tongue being separately attached

DERBY or GIBSON [not a name I've heard before] shoes have the quarters overlapping the vamp which normally includes the tongue"

as far as I can make out, the British definition is as above, like the 'oxford boots' that Coleslawyum and I posted. By this definition your shoes would be Derbys, but from what I've seen, American companies seem to use 'oxford' to mean any formal-style laceup shoe/boot. Also, most American shoes that I've seen tend to be Derbys (by the definition above) rather than Oxfords (by the definition above)any info anyone?

Get what everyone else on this thread has.... White's semi dress @ $349 or Alden indies @ $320 just $70 or $40 more than the iron rangers and you won't regret it.

ugh... don't tempt me... I already had a hard time justifying the price increase from Red Wing GTs to iron rangers...

What do the indies offer over the iron rangers?

iron rangers are nice looking boots, indies are a little more refined, less hardcore work boot like, the leather is thinner and not oiled so you can polish them. You want more than 1 pair of boots and you could do a lot worse than indies.

If you want cheaper, look at the red wing 875.

ugh... don't tempt me... I already had a hard time justifying the price increase from Red Wing GTs to iron rangers...

What do the indies offer over the iron rangers?

Tempt I will. Get a pair of Semi-Dress w/single or double leather soles. They are so much more well built, both in terms of durability, workmanship, and attention to proper fit/othopedic function, that they are well worth money. Also, even if you wear them everyday, and are remarkably rough on boots, they will take longest to wear out, yield the best "beat up boots" result of the bunch, plus last I checked, Whites offered re-crafting for cheaper than Alden.

Here's a picture Bill posted awhile back that makes my argument for me:

IMG_0635.jpg

And these are whites that have NOT been treated with conditioner or whatever. God Damn. These are next on my list after a pair of 2009 jeans.

Tempt I will. Get a pair of Semi-Dress w/single or double leather soles. They are so much more well built, both in terms of durability, workmanship, and attention to proper fit/othopedic function, that they are well worth money. Also, even if you wear them everyday, and are remarkably rough on boots, they will take longest to wear out, yield the best "beat up boots" result of the bunch, plus last I checked, Whites offered re-crafting for cheaper than Alden.

Here's a picture Bill posted awhile back that makes my argument for me:

IMG_0635.jpg