Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

The Whites are on the same Cat's Paws combination as the Cigar 405s.

The Ravello Chukkas are a 6.5E, so I am guessing it will be difficult for me to find a buyer on SuFu if I do decide to sell.

I know there are all sorts of reasons why I shouldn't sell a pair of Ravello Aldens, but if I can get 600+ it would be silly of me not to do. Now, if they were a pair of cap toe boots, indy boots, or a pair of Whiskey Split Toe Norwegians...i doubt I would even think of selling.

looking for a pair of 6" white's northwest like ^^ can someone tell me where to get 'em please. thanks.

ogboots.jpg

almost 10 yrs. old. i remember getting these because i thought the goodyear tire outsole was a nice touch. love 'em.

gdyearboots.jpg

PEACE!!!

That's pretty cool, who makes these?

been reading through the archives of this thread for a few days now, thought i might contribute with what i have...first up are a pair of three-month old suede eddie bauer

chukkas i found at goodwill for five bucks, worn probably three or four times a week.

5poj0y.jpg

23m7rlv.jpg

next up are some leather work boots i also found at goodwill, for eight bucks...they were in pretty much new condition when i got them. i've used them sporadically for about six months now, they've seen some hiking and expeditioning but nothing too dramatic or frequent. i have no idea what brand they are; the only tag on them says "cushion insole" in something that looks like the irish setter font. anybody got info on em?

1zq8pk6.jpg

2n8ro9h.jpg

b7gor6.jpg

reading this thread has given me incredible boot envy...i would kill for some cordovan aldens now, but 500+ is a bit out of my range right now.

reading this thread has given me incredible boot envy...i would kill for some cordovan aldens now, but 500+ is a bit out of my range right now.

Don't feel bad...

$500+ for amazing shoes < $5-8 for respectable goodwill finds

I hear you, though. I wish I had the money to get a pair of Alden Indys or Whites semi-dress.

I wish I could make respectable goodwill/thrift finds...then I wouldn't be inclined to blow so much money on shoes. Over the short term, I would definitely prefer cheap cool finds to uber-expensive shoes and boots.

However, I feel like the big payoff for buying expensive shoes new comes down the line when they have been resoled a couple time, have all sorts of patina, and have been on your feet for the whole thing.

Pretty sweet.

This thread is out of control since last time I read it, like 6 months ago. Some really nice shoes/boots in here.

My most recent boot pickup.

bootszd6.jpg

The barney's boots, after a year and a recent oiling:

boots1yr.jpg

Also got my quoddy ring boots recently. Guessing these will age well:

quoddy1.jpg

quoddy2.jpg

quoddy3.jpg

I know a few of you have been waiting for/requesting a review of the WWIIimpressions Corcoran built boondocker boots.... I THINK I have a pair now, and here're my thoughts:

First of all, I say I "think" I have the Corcoran boots because thats how they were described in the ebay auction from which I bought them. They seem to match the wwiiimpressions website pictures and descriptions without exception, but there is no manufacturer label in them anywhere... The size is handwritten inside each boot.

The shape of the boots are great, the lasting looks and feels authentic to the origional boondockers that I have seen. The toes are broader and rounder in my opinion than the picture leads you to beleive...more like the Army Roughout boot is pictured on the WWIIimpressions site...

Fitting: On the inside of each boot there is a "10" in red ink, overwritten with a "9.5" in black ink, presumably a factory correction, and not the previous owner changing the stated size of the boot.... Assuming they are infact the 9.5, the boots are cut generous, both in length and width... I would say get your regular Red Wing/White's size in length, but expect them to feel more like E if not EE in width. I put a nice full length insole in mine and they feel dreamy now...

Construction is solid and orderly....none of the sloppy stitching that you'll see in the At The Front boots. Being that these come from Corcoran, they are built to the same standards as the other military boots they make.... They look and feel like REAL boots, not costume boots, or dress up boots.

The only glaring inaccuracy in the design is the incorrect sole tread pattern...but for me personally....I could care less. The only boondocker repro's of merit that have the correct sole are the Buzz Ricksons and Steve McQueen editions.... Both about $600.... These are $150 from the website...I paid less than $100 in the condition you see them pictured.

photo-67.jpg

photo-68.jpg

photo-73.jpg

photo-74.jpg

^^Bill that toe box looks so jacked up. Like the leather is really thin there. I guess that how they are supposed to look?

New issue of LAST magazine:

Has a cool feature on Red Wings Factory and as usual a lot of nice shoes.

Also Takeshi Okuyama-san is in here. More work boots than usual.

last_mag.jpg

^^Bill that toe box looks so jacked up. Like the leather is really thin there. I guess that how they are supposed to look?

The toe box has no reinforced toe in it whatsoever, much like the Reg Toe Smoke Jumper... The leather is nice and thick, but broken in and supple. They tend to flatten out as they break in...

Another new find:

Nearly deadstock California State Prison issue boots.... These are only issued to inmates, and are supposed to be collected before release, so its rare to see these out in "civilian" life...

photo-75.jpg

photo-76.jpg

photo-77.jpg

sorry it's taken such a longt time, but I'm back home now, and I've finally taken some photos of my boots that I think match these ones:)

2915627273_170a1d8540.jpg?v=0

2916473588_6f5cbdcc54.jpg?v=0

2915627957_4e8317542f.jpg?v=0

2915630009_1c5653f17b.jpg?v=0

2915630473_1ee83dd607.jpg?v=0

2916477102_11c00f11fb.jpg?v=0

2916479846_5b763235ee.jpg?v=0

2916479420_9af93afcfe.jpg?v=0

2916482622_592e8c9c8a.jpg?v=0

2915637527_7c051584e4.jpg?v=0

I bought them unworn army surplus, and I was told they were Swedish Army, although I don;t really have a clue, and some people here thought that was unlikely a few pages back. The soles are marked 'CONTINENTAL', and also at the toe, it looks like 'randstorsplatte'- does anyone know what language this is? sounds like it could be German?

2916482992_cec80a3f01.jpg?v=0

2915637151_f8aa0cdb14.jpg?v=0

Whatever they are, I'm really happy with them- I bought them for a holiday in Russia in January 2005, and they were great in the cold and on ice & snow, and for riding. Now I use them as wellington boots in mud, so they don't get a lot of wear, but I tink they've improved and are looking quite nice

27023701a91bd3d0ae47658ee7042e6f8578911.jpg

Anybody know how I could darken the leather on these?

Apologies in advance for the rookie question, new to the whole boot/leather care game.

Oh and I own both lexol conditioner as well as cleaner. Conditioner didn't darken them though.

Those Grey Whites are absolutely gorgeous...they are confusing to me because they look far too elegant for the kind of boot that they are, but I really enjoy them regardless.

Also, I sacked up and wore the Ravello Chukkas around for the first time today, and I am glad I am keeping them...I will have some cool evo pictures soon I think.

crockett and jones connaught i used in my wedding came in via singapore on the morning of my nuptial

these are nice and these are very comfortable very very very comfy

IMG_0114.jpg

I bought them for fall/winter! A version in chromexcel with a camp or double-leather sole might work better in the summer.

http://www.southwillard.com/designers/accessories/quoddy-shoes/brown-ring-boot/

Stunning!!!

They're on my ever growing list as of.... NOW!

I bought them for fall/winter! A version in chromexcel with a camp or double-leather sole might work better in the summer.

http://www.quoddytrail.com/RingBoots.html

http://www.southwillard.com/designers/accessories/quoddy-shoes/brown-ring-boot/

I tried these on up in Kennebunk and the leather is unbelievable - couldn't be thicker. I tried the ones on the left, with no real sole, you're just walking on almost a 1/2 inch of leather.