Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

just curious, are these legit? can't imagine why they would be going for so cheap. there's a ton of different sizes in this model from the same seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-WING-875-IRISH-SETTER-BOOTS-SHOES-SIZE-10-D-NEW_W0QQitemZ220285358793QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220285358793&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A16|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

i think those are legit. From past few years, there have been alot of 875, 877, or other floating around. And past few days, there is a BUNCH of j.crew x RW on ebay as well. All going for low prices. But most of the time, the item can be factory second.

The funny thing is that I usually wear a size 8 B/D in the handful of Aldens I've owned and tried on, but these are a 7 C/E and fit me very well.

This isn't too surprising. Those look like Barrie last, so sizing down makes a lot of sense. I tried really hard trying to find the right size in those as well, but didn't have much luck. I tried sizing down, going down in width, etc, but none of the options has worked well for me yet. I'm glad they've worked out for you.

fattybfat: Totally agree about the RWs on eBay, especially about the ton of J.Crew ones out there now. You and I spend way too much time looking at RWs on eBay, dude. Ha! I'm kind of hoping that some of those RWXJ.Crew 899s will eventually show up on eBay. They look interesting to me, but I don't want to spend $325 on them.

MiniW: Terrific pickup. I think you lucked out on the fit because of the last that Alden uses on their chukkas. They look great! [edit: I see that amlai has beaten me to it -- sorry.]

a cross post from recent purchases...

After staring at Bill's feet for so long, I decided to pull the trigger on these:

DSC_0052.jpg

They are cigar shell, originally from the Alden shop in San Francisco. The funny thing is that I usually wear a size 8 B/D in the handful of Aldens I've owned and tried on, but these are a 7 C/E and fit me very well. I was anxious about the fit as they came half-way around the world from Korea, but it ended up working out great. I wanted to post this in this thread so that I can post pictures after they have been worn a bit. Cheers.

I bid on those...glad to see someone was willing to beat the reserve and pick those up...I would have if they were not a width and a half size bigger than ideal. Congratulations on a great pair of shoes!

i think those are legit. From past few years, there have been alot of 875, 877, or other floating around. And past few days, there is a BUNCH of j.crew x RW on ebay as well. All going for low prices. But most of the time, the item can be factory second.

For those interested in operation de-stink the boots, I've had some success. First up was a couple of days in the freezer with some baking soda. Definitely took the edge off of the odor, but it was still there. Another couple of days stuffed with cedar bedding in a box did the trick. I just soaped/scrubbed them really well, after they dry they'll get another coat of LP and then back into the fray they go (although I'll try to rotate them...).

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

DSC_0003.jpg

Got them in today, C&J Conistons. Bought them on Ebay UK for 150£ shipped.

Those are real beauties. They're subs from the North Hampton shop. The stitching holding the tongue to the inner is gone on one shoe, but nothing else. The quality and the color are just crazy. Have to give them some wear now.

just got back from a whirlwind Japan trip- Osaka & Tokyo in 3 1/2 days... my wallet got a bit of a bashing:( but i got loads of cool stuff:)

first off, all the lightnings and free&easys I could carry

2901084231_e5be574896.jpg?v=0

including lightning's THE BOOTS BOOK which I think you guys might appreciate, so I started scanning some of it at work. it's all so great that i ended up scanning the whole thing- I had to pretend to be doing something important every time my boss walked past, but i think i got away with it:D

(I'm posting this over a few posts, as I just nearly finished putting all the links in, when I lost the whole lot- which was really annoying...)

I would have used the "this or that" thread, but I feel a lot of people have this question as well:

so I've got a budget of $250, am I better off getting the red wing iron rangers or the gentleman travelers? I like the look each provides, but I'm looking for a nice everyday boot that I can wear year-long, maybe even sneak a few days in super steamy boston summers. what are the differences between the two and which one would you guys recommend?

I also like these a lot http://www.shermanbrothers.com/product.php?ItemId=5899&ProductId=9822

but I feel the IR's/GT's have a more versatile look to them. what do you think?

I wear the GT every day,its a great boot with a very classy look and fitwise some of the most comfortable I ever had,even though some people had problems here.

I had a look at the Ironworker and tried them on,they even felt more comfy because of the cork(?)sole,when you compare them,the GTsole is more stiff,they prob. last longer.RedWing had some quality problems with the GT, I recommend to have a look and try before you buy.So its really up to you, both boots are very nice ,I think its more a personal preference, I just could not justify myself to spend the same amount after owning the GT.

^^thanks coleslaw, and you're right- it's that mentality that I love about Japan, among other things. Still, I think we're giving them a run for their money here don;t you?:D

My big buy in Tokyo was these Yamane Deluxe bowling shoes:

2901075207_ac4cd25fe6.jpg?v=02901075591_a1111fa335.jpg?v=02901075331_1747833fed.jpg?v=02901075447_71e19a7fc9.jpg?v=02901918886_5bf48b93fc.jpg?v=02901075067_97b5cb3a06.jpg?v=02901918002_908ac2d21e.jpg?v=0

they're made in England by Cheaney, although the leather, build, and finishing is all much better than I've seen on regular Cheaney in the UK. They're super-comfortable too- I wore them straight out of the box for a whole day slogging around the shops in Tokyo, and I realized afterwards that would normally be really stupid without breaking them in first, but 12hours later I was remarkably not hobbling:)

With my new Japan Evisu Silver SelvageNo1SPECIALS, bought and painted the day before in Osaka, soaked in the bath that night, and chainstitched in Tokyp the following day:

2901918760_751ddeb42b.jpg?v=0

Good stuff Bill. Those bowling shoes look great.

Nice conistons Mr wiwi, and a pretty good bargain. I wouldn't worry about those stitches, I broke mine on my skyes the very first time I pulled them on.

Thanks a lot Fresco. I'll see if the tongue is not moving around. If it does I may re-stitch it a little.