Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

looking for a pair of 6" white's northwest like ^^ can someone tell me where to get 'em please. thanks.

ogboots.jpg

almost 10 yrs. old. i remember getting these because i thought the goodyear tire outsole was a nice touch. love 'em.

gdyearboots.jpg

PEACE!!!

penguin.gif

emmitbrown:

excellent post, +rep!

well, you only sand off the front/side, correct? not the heel right? i can see the heel still have the ink on it. Anyway, what i find it most intersting is that i actually really love the natural color of the side after it got sand down a bit. Indeed, i am looking to see if i can resole with a natural heel and base when mine worn out. Those are the expresso isnt it?

Hey Bill,

that's some fancy hem job on those bills... do you have another pic? What's the history on that?

Also how do the corcoran's fit run? I've hear a half size smaller...

On both my Bill's and my Stronghold Utilities I did a real simple loopstitched hem to keep the cuff in place... I thought a hand done/workwear-y repair job fit the vibe of both pants... Here's a borderline clearer pic of the Bill's hem..Shown with my new Gentleman Travelers! We'll be selling those at the shop along with the Iron Rangers very soon....

photo-55.jpg

looking for a pair of 6" white's northwest like ^^ can someone tell me where to get 'em please. thanks.

PEACE!!!

From me sir! Shoot me a PM or email direct at [email protected]

Those Alden's look great Josh!

Does the plaza last run very narrow?

I'd say amlai is right on this one...the plaza last seems to run pretty true to size...they dont feel narrow at all, in fact they are a perfect fit. I tested them out for supportability throughout a whole day of wear, and they held up well..no foot cramps or soreness..just great.

( i have these other oxfords that for some reason make my left foot cramp up after any more than 5 hours of wear...i need insoles for those.)

so I know nothing about boots, what is the minimum I can spend to get something that will last a long time? I live in ohio, so I expect wear in some ugly weather. is it possible to get something nice for under $200? $150?

is there a buyers guide with some sufu favorite brands? I feel like its a lot harder to determine your choices for boots than it is for denim.

is it me or is the dye job on the dark rangers really awful?

It's a matter of taste, of course, but the variations in color are due to the fact that the boot is made out of a heavy oiled leather, so the leather can look lighter or darker in spots depending on the angle of the light, stretch/stress on a particular spot, or even rubbing the leather with your hand can cause slight variations. Copious detail here.

so I know nothing about boots, what is the minimum I can spend to get something that will last a long time? I live in ohio, so I expect wear in some ugly weather. is it possible to get something nice for under $200? $150?

The best bargain I've seen recently is the Katahdin Iron Works Engineer Boots by L.L. Bean, which are made in the USA by Chippewa and cost $149. Quite a bargain, in my opinion.

shoe_m_004.jpg

is there a buyers guide with some sufu favorite brands? I feel like its a lot harder to determine your choices for boots than it is for denim.

Ebay Made in USA Red Wings that you like for a good sturdy boot for under 200. Also, depending on your size, new or newish Whites and Wescos are sometimes available for a steal on ebay.

If you want a pair of boots to last a long time, you should get two pairs, rotate them each day, use cedar shoe trees, and develop a maintenance routine. Boots like Fryes, Red Wings and Aldens will last a long time compared to most footwear, boots like Wesco and Whites will last even longer (with heel and sole repairs of course).

I would have used the "this or that" thread, but I feel a lot of people have this question as well:

so I've got a budget of $250, am I better off getting the red wing iron rangers or the gentleman travelers? I like the look each provides, but I'm looking for a nice everyday boot that I can wear year-long, maybe even sneak a few days in super steamy boston summers. what are the differences between the two and which one would you guys recommend?

I also like these a lot http://www.shermanbrothers.com/product.php?ItemId=5899&ProductId=9822

but I feel the IR's/GT's have a more versatile look to them. what do you think?

just curious, are these legit? can't imagine why they would be going for so cheap. there's a ton of different sizes in this model from the same seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-WING-875-IRISH-SETTER-BOOTS-SHOES-SIZE-10-D-NEW_W0QQitemZ220285358793QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220285358793&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A16|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

just curious, are these legit? can't imagine why they would be going for so cheap. there's a ton of different sizes in this model from the same seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-WING-875-IRISH-SETTER-BOOTS-SHOES-SIZE-10-D-NEW_W0QQitemZ220285358793QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220285358793&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A16|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Don't know for sure, but the color looks off to me, could be due to lighting though.

Also the back off the crepe sole should be cut off totally vertical i think

To my knowledge, the Plaza last tends to run true to size. Definitely doesn't run wide. For some reason, going up half a size and dropping a width works best for me in the Plaza last, but I seem to be fairly unique in that regard.
I'd say amlai is right on this one...the plaza last seems to run pretty true to size...they dont feel narrow at all, in fact they are a perfect fit. I tested them out for supportability throughout a whole day of wear, and they held up well..no foot cramps or soreness..just great.

( i have these other oxfords that for some reason make my left foot cramp up after any more than 5 hours of wear...i need insoles for those.)

Thanks for the info, i have wide feet, and have a pair of Indy's in EEE-width, so i guess the plaza last in D will be a quite narrow for me and that i also need at least an E-width in the plaza last.

I hate it when shoes make my feet cramp up, whenever i have this re-occuring problem with a pair i find myself not wearing them ever again.

It mostly happens with shoes that i really like the look of :mad:

a cross post from recent purchases...

After staring at Bill's feet for so long, I decided to pull the trigger on these:

DSC_0052.jpg

They are cigar shell, originally from the Alden shop in San Francisco. The funny thing is that I usually wear a size 8 B/D in the handful of Aldens I've owned and tried on, but these are a 7 C/E and fit me very well. I was anxious about the fit as they came half-way around the world from Korea, but it ended up working out great. I wanted to post this in this thread so that I can post pictures after they have been worn a bit. Cheers.