Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

The Guardian piece about Loake is slightly sad. I know my Chelsea boots were £80 or so and would guess that these were largely Indian-made. That doesn't necessarily bother me, but the chromate-tanned linings do, that's not particularly nice stuff, especially for those who make them.

As least this clarifies the position and you know that, if you get the Loake 1880s, you get British-made boots.

I feel for people like Loake. THey're battling against a tide of crap - this does make me feel my age, maybe 15 years ago it was easy to buy decent shoes, now nearly everything on the British high street is junk. This does underline what fantastic value the William Lennons, at £125 or so with local, vegetable-tanned leather, constitute.

Paul, I feel blessed that there still are English shoemakers, if only a handful. C&J, Tricker's, Church's, Alfred Sargent, Edward Green are still made top to bottom in one space. However, they are not exactly affordable, so I think the average working person might not want to splurge, but if they do, they'll get their money's worth.

The future might look bleak, but hopefully there will be a revival of smaller English bespoke shoemakers, but its probably just a wet dream for me. Besides that's not considered progress.

Chippewa Engineer Steel Toes.

chipp27863a.jpg

chipp27863b.jpg

chipp27863c.jpg

chipp27863d.jpg

I feel for people like Loake. THey're battling against a tide of crap - this does make me feel my age, maybe 15 years ago it was easy to buy decent shoes, now nearly everything on the British high street is junk. This does underline what fantastic value the William Lennons, at £125 or so with local, vegetable-tanned leather, constitute.

Absolutely, totally 100% agree.

Luckily the online market has opened up opportunities for craftsmen to reach a wider market without the overheads. But the masses still get force fed crap. Neil Young saw this coming in the early 1990's with the aptly named song "Piece of Crap"

" went back to the store

They gave me four more

The guy told me at the door

It's a piece of crap "

Paul, I feel blessed that there still are English shoemakers, if only a handful. C&J, Tricker's, Church's, Alfred Sargent, Edward Green are still made top to bottom in one space. However, they are not exactly affordable, so I think the average working person might not want to splurge, but if they do, they'll get their money's worth.

The future might look bleak, but hopefully there will be a revival of smaller English bespoke shoemakers, but its probably just a wet dream for me. Besides that's not considered progress.

Chippewa Engineer Steel Toes.

chipp27863a.jpg

chipp27863b.jpg

chipp27863c.jpg

chipp27863d.jpg

Where on earth did u get the dual welt and the cat's paws done. (Im assuming ur based in the US).

I got that done by Okuyama-san, the best boot cobbler in the world. He does overseas orders, but being that the shipping situation is what it is now, its difficult for him to ship to the US. Fortunately I got this before they put this shit on lock.

Hopefully this changes soon. I can't recommend him enough. He's done around 6 pairs for me already. He insists on finishing every sole himself, being that it's his signature shape. That's why his queue is so long, but worth the wait.

correct me if im wrong, but didnt the refurb cost more than those specific shoes? (not flaming, just wondering)

well yea, but consider it against replacing them (with the exact same pair), then it becomes beyond worth it. It also takes those guys to a new level of beautiful

Edit: interesting he doesnt have any wolverines on his blog...itll be a while before i need my 1000 miles repaired but when i do, i know where they are going.

correct me if im wrong, but didnt the refurb cost more than those specific shoes? (not flaming, just wondering)

For sure, it's as ridiculous as our obsession for denim. However, since these boots can be had for under 2 bills, think about getting a similar price boots that look like that (Lone Wolf). Cost less than the LW's, in the end.

dang he charges only 16,000 yen for the typical resole plus minus a couple thousand for like cats paws the thing to look out for is the shipping to and forth

i swear to god all my boots okuyama resoled feels better to walk on to i swear to god

Thanks! Yes, check out his blog, it has a million pairs that he's done. Ed's got a few pairs done by him too. He got clients across the globe and does paypal.

he's da man...even if i don't own a boot which got resoled from him but just looking at all those things he already made is just amazing...everything's looking ace after he got his hands on it...

Hey Jake, You inspired me to get the rough out ones you were wearing when we met up at Al's.

Oh, that's cool. I had a feeling you might get a pair of them. I count myself lucky to have gotten a pair of "seconds" from the Red Wing Factory Store for $80. By far the best purchase I've ever made boot wise.

he's da man...even if i don't own a boot which got resoled from him but just looking at all those things he already made is just amazing...everything's looking ace after he got his hands on it...

I believe there a new write up on him in the new free and easy "the boots life"

Did a search on sizing previous to buying the boot but now I have some questions regarding fit after I actually own them (Alden 405).

I was recently fitted to a pair of Alden 405's at Boston Pedorthic. Since the size 9C would be out of stock for a long time (14 weeks they said), the pedorthist suggested I go with 8.5D instead. Upon trying on the boots after they received them in a shipment, the length was perfect but the boots were very snug. The pressure comes down from the top, near the end of the toebox, around where the laces start. My main concern is just that the leather will not stretch out enough to fit my foot a little better; again, the length is perfect and there is no pain at all, simply discomfort from the snugness (especially the left foot, which is a tiny bit bigger than my right foot).

What do you guys think; should I see if I can swap for a new size or see if the boot stretches out?

Thanks!

david3558,

For proper sizing in Boots (I am not talking about dress shoes) being used for work, especially in the toe-box.

you need adequate room in the toe-box, or else in the years down the long road of your feet, most will most likely develop orthopedic problems from ill-sized shoes..

Boots should be snug and give support in the arch/instep/incline of your foot. along with support to the ankle and cushion for heel.

that is one of the key purpose for boots vs shoes, more support and bracing.

It took a real wake at the ripe age of 22 my personal orthopedic doctor when having some nasty hang nail surgically cut out of my big toe... that i better start paying attention to my shoe/boot choices and especially sizing.. So along the years,i have had plenty of conversations with various NYC shoe dealers,

from high to low before rushing to buy boots..

i am a NY'er, and i don't drive,

i walk everywhere everyday.. on my feet.. or bicycle..

i only buy boots at the end of the day/night, when your feet are tired and used..

i concentrate on my feet, really...

i really just close my eyes, and feel how my instep and down-step react.

it sounds corny,

but i am a fanatic for proper fit... for everything..

i walk-away from many nice "looking" shoes that i think i want....because they just don't fit me right..

Along with a few old-school dealers I will say the guys at Molded Shoes in NY who deal primarily in fitting for orthopedics for the Alden Modified last, have carried many different shoe companies among the years, and are a true wealth of knowledge..

they have shared plenty of solid information about general sizing issues to be aware of...

As long as you have the proper support in the arch / and instep of the shoe,

you would not want any of your toes scrunching into the toe box of a quality fitting boot.

you don't want to be swimming around, and fake it out with massively stuffy socks either..

on a personal note..I don't ask advice or listen to typical shoes salesmen much anymore.. I just can't really trust them..and neither should you.

TRUST your own feet!

So again been having told by orthopedics,

when standing up in a boot..

your toes are supposed to be able to flex up and down, and not feel any restraining contact rubbing or binding down onto them.

the last point of true contact support should hit your foot at the joint between the "ball of your foot" and first knuckle of the toes area.

when you walk in them, pay attention to your stride, and how your instep feels..

i hope some of this helps you.

whats the average waiting time for having a pair of boots resoled by okuyama-san? Going to Japan again next year so might want to schedule a local pickup.

santa clause came early this year hohoho, a pair of Alden kidskin boots (thanks again davichan!)

m1tx_932_u31k.jpg

those things literally just went up on their site. I'll probably stop by the store tomorrow to see if they have any in-stock. It's listed as a pre-order for May delivery but hopefully they'll at least have the photo samples available to check out. I have the complete Context collection so far (black tankers, Roys, and #8 tankers) so it will be hard to pass these up.

Winn Perry's "Little Tank" boot in Tobacco and Earth are very similar, cheaper, and seem to be in stock.

http://shop.winnperry.com/products/alden-reverse-chamois-boots

I see they still have some stock of cooperstown ball caps which went out of business last year...

those white's are cool...

and these are sick!

IMGP0992.jpg

IMGP0995.jpg

just curious is there a difference between this and the 8-stitch?