Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

P1040238.jpg

Left to right: Chippewa (early 2000's), Real McCoy Horehide Buco, 1940's Chippewa, Horsehide Beck and Frye Brando. Some more of my collection past/present:

P1030216.JPG

I will have to say, the two that look the best are the brown 40s chippewa and the brandos. The bucos and beck's probably cost you an arm and a leg right?

Wow, i knew those were Frye Brandos. I have the exact same boots up for sale right now. These pics make me want to take them out of their box and supermarket and start wearing them.

P1040238.jpg

Left to right: Chippewa (early 2000's), Real McCoy Horehide Buco, 1940's Chippewa, Horsehide Beck and Frye Brando. Some more of my collection past/present:

engineer boots look sooo much better without a bulky steel toe (like the 40s chippewas above). its too bad more companies don't make repros with the lower toebox profile like that.

those mister freedom ones that are coming are right on the money, but unfortunately have the MF price tag.

(not that i have any business wearing engineer boots anyhow)

dkatz - i too am interested in those seavees boots. only seen em on the seavees site though...don't know much else about em. let me know if you come across any interesting infos.

tmadd - i agree with you about the organization of this thread. a little while back i made a plea for a new thread with an updated first page (it's a start), but it went largely unacknowledged. oh well. i think (at least) Alden, Whites, and RW all deserve their own threads...

My trusty altberg clubman classics. Waterproof and really warm, thanks to the cambrelle lining. I've been wearing these everyday while riding my motorcycle for the past two months, and they have broken in pretty well. Not engineer boots, but they go well with my 1977 Suzuki GS750 :).

altberg_clubman_classic.jpg

Wow, i knew those were Frye Brandos. I have the exact same boots up for sale right now. These pics make me want to take them out of their box and supermarket and start wearing them.

d

Hey... I put these up on eBay about three times in the past year or so and am VERY happy I didn't sell them. I say keep 'em. You'll be happy you did. Just my opinion.

I will have to say, the two that look the best are the brown 40s chippewa and the brandos. The bucos and beck's probably cost you an arm and a leg right?

The Buco's set me back close to $1,000 with all the shipping and service fee's. The Becks set me back well over $800 with the same fees.

is there a difference between the 2 marinebilly?

BIG difference. The Buco's are a Japan size 8 1/2D, which is more like a 9.5 in US Mens, so they are slightly big for me (with inserts, they are perfect, but my wife has mentioned that they look slightly big on me). They are built like a tank, as you know. I have to wear them with my loose LVC 201XX or loose 1930's Japan repro LEE's, so they look proportionate. The Becks, on the other hand, are low profile and have a much better looking profile overall (perhaps becuase of the smaller size). My Becks are a size 7 1/2D and they fit like a glove. They are like an 8.5 in US Mens. I can wear these with any type of my jeans, both loose and tight. I love the brass hardware on the Becks. They definitely have their own unique awesome characteristics. They'll only get better looking over time and if I HAD to get rid of one it would be the Bucos. My only wish it that they both had natural colored sole sides (like Red Wing 2268's), but the dye on the Buco's seems to be fading away over time.

The major differences are the Buco's are dyed all black where they left the leather edges on the Becks undyed, which complement the look. Of course the Buco's have the toe tracks. The toe tracks look better on older model Bucos, though.

the color on those is beautiful... i was thinking about getting those but i just cant spend another $200+ on boots

yea i like color so much i wasnt sure how it would look with these jeans but i think it goes well.

^ you can still get a Wesco boss with a toe like the chippewas. You have to get them custom made with the 'motorcycle patrol' toe. Here is a pair of custom wescos with the motorcycle patrol toe.

DSC01025.JPG

can you tell me on what page you found this picture? I remember someone asked the specifications of this cycle boot to Kim from Wesco and the search engine doesn't work.

Thanks

papashoe.com has them for 210 and you can get 15% off with code SALEOFF15.

That's basically what I paid for mine off of eBay. About 10 bucks more. The break in kinda sucks right now. I might get some insoles for them.

IMG_7907.jpg

IMG_7917.jpg

Not looking so hot right now, but I'm going to try to clean, condition and throw on some new laces tomorrow. It's been at least a year since they've been maintained in any way. What are you people using to clean 875s or other leather boots? Just need a cleaner. Already have all of the other supplies.

What they looked like after the last time I cleaned them.

IMG_1908.jpg

well, seeing pictures of well worn in Brandos convinces me that they will be great boots. I have no idea why they haven't sold yet other than Frye just isn't as popular. but to be honest I just need the funds right now, times are tough. I have a pair of RW Iron Rangers in Hawthorne (also great boots) that I am going to try and sell as well.

d

Hey... I put these up on eBay about three times in the past year or so and am VERY happy I didn't sell them. I say keep 'em. You'll be happy you did. Just my opinion.

Not looking so hot right now, but I'm going to try to clean, condition and throw on some new laces tomorrow. It's been at least a year since they've been maintained in any way. What are you people using to clean 875s or other leather boots? Just need a cleaner. Already have all of the other supplies.

What they looked like after the last time I cleaned them.

the red wing store in Raleigh recommended I clean them with palmolive dish soap before oiling. you could try that.