Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

How do you guys feel about Doctor Martens. I'm someone who wants decent boots for rainyness and coldness, but doesnt want to spend a bunch. For $150, Docs 1460 Made in England seem like a good buy.. let me know if they aren't because i'll be buying those soon.

edit: And if i do end up getting those, how would you recommend toning down the bluntness of that yellow stitching? Stains or polishes?

I used to wear DMs when I was a youngster. Personally I think the quality is pretty poor, of the several pairs I had, the yellow stitching came undone on one, two different pairs had steel toes that would move! Not a good thing at all.

Apparently, these are better quality:

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/footwear/38B-solovair-boots.html are British made in Northampton where DMs used to be made and used to supply DM airwear soles.

Or spend an extra $50 and get some redwing GTs

Just picked these vintage Chippewa boots, but they are too big. I had been looking for the Red Wing version to pop up somewhere for some time now, and thought these would be a good substitute. Wish i could wear them. They have never been worn, still in box with boot care manual.

20091020_23small.jpg

And... inspired by almostnice's Red Wing catalog post, this is the little Chippewa Charlie Boot care Manual that was in the box.

"Click below for Slideshow"

th_20091022_4.jpg

URL%5D

Man that boot care manual is some racist shit! It's amazing what they got away with back then and to some extent it's still happening today. It would be nice to see chief chippewa scalp the narrator.

Dang! What size are those Chippewa boots?

they are 11EE. just a half size big, but i have kept slightly oversized boots before and have learned my lesson. they now be for sale!

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=2014029&postcount=1

illumin8em,what a great find.like the slideshow a lot.

+rep.

thanks, same to you. some models resemble those that you have posted of red wings.

Man that boot care manual is some racist shit! It's amazing what they got away with back then and to some extent it's still happening today. It would be nice to see chief chippewa scalp the narrator.

I was quite surprised myself when looking through it the first time.

^Red makes plenty of them, but I haven't really seen any great looking ones. What style are you looking for? Lace ups, pull ons?

I am ordering some GTs today, I don't know yet if I'm getting black or black cherry. Opinions anyone?

I think the black cherry have a lot more character, but that's just my opinion. Here's a shot of my black cherry GT's, with some wear.

DSCN1487.jpg?t=1256309837

^Red makes plenty of them, but I haven't really seen any great looking ones. What style are you looking for? Lace ups, pull ons?

I am ordering some GTs today, I don't know yet if I'm getting black or black cherry. Opinions anyone?

Lace ups of course.I am not into any black,speaking of GTs its black cherry for me,but if I had the money I would get a pair in chestnut aswell.

any recommendations for a good looking steel(safety)cap-boot i can wear at work?

I've been pondering some custom made Wescos for the last couple of months. Steel-toe Smokejumpers will probably end up on my feet soon. I just have to make sure I can wear them at work. Will probably need a certificate from Wesco for that.

Check: https://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/

For steel toes, if you want to spend some money, then wesco, white's and viberg all have them as an option. If, as I suspect you don't want to spend big money, then william lennon have work boots, but I'm not sure how good they look.

Edit: Danner also have an extensive range of steel toe boots.

Since we're post redwing GTs, here's mine

4037380749_ed96d3f66b_o.jpg

fe$co,thanks for your help,much appreciated! I was aware about the W.Lennon site but didnt search,so your help did just fil my bill.they offer some boots for at least at 30,- GBP which is perfect for my needs,not to to mention the requested "vintage look".well earned rep.

Damn you J. Crew for sending this catalog to my apt.!!!

IMG_0597.jpg

Here is what the descriptions are in relation to the images.

Red Wing Boots

B - Rugged Classic (Available in select stores.) [Dark Straw, Dark Wood] $225

C - Leather Vintage Work [Pony Brown] $325

D - Classic Irish Setter (Available in select stores.) [Pony Brown] $325

E - Iron Ranger (Available in select stores.) [Dark Brown] $298

ok, in my humble opinion everything else but work related footwear or maaaybe brogues looks better in crisp condition. seen some battered Vans on here,no man. Just NO. Battered Vans were "in" 89 but nowadays..ah,they gotta be clean and tidy.

seen some battered Vans on here,no man. Just NO. Battered Vans were "in" 89 but nowadays..ah,they gotta be clean and tidy.

chuckster,

I disagree. Nothing "has" to be any way. It is a matter of personal preference. IMO

"noob"question here,I never worked out how J.Crew is relateted to RW,from what I got they just sell the normal boot without any alterations.

almostnice,

You think that is odd? Look at the next page...

IMG_0610.jpg

Here is what the descriptions are in relation to the images.

Clarks Original Wallabee

(Introduced in 1965 as the world's first comfort shoe. Suede. Import. Select colors available in stores.)

[Warm Dessert - Top, Dark Chestnut - Middle, Burnt Sienna - Bottom] $130

allright,as much as love wallabees i cant work out the differences,leather looks like standard Clarks.correct me if iam wrong.

So I have added the Prices, Descriptions, and Colors that were provided in the catalog. As far as the differences in the leather/ suede in the pictures... Looks the same to me. I'm sure someone will help us out with the differences. I'm just too tired and busy with other stuff at the moment to research any further.

Well everything imaginable is a matter of taste and opinion..just think Vans and other trainers look nice when they are fresh and clean or maybe a little used but all work related footwear and most boots look so much better when battered. I prefer Clarks nice and clean as well but the soles get dirty in no time at all.

Is theresuch a thing as a shitkicker dress boot? I mean something like a brogue wingtip with solid construction, double leather sole and jsut this side of chunky? The closest I have found yet are these Grenson Archies:

2612rushdenarchie.jpg

For some reason I lately feel that bots all the time doesn't seem to cut it anymore.