Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Oooooh. Those look pretty nice. I don't think any have been posted that have actually gotten some wear in them. Man i wish papashoes.com had honored their deal of $175 for them.

has anyone had experience with the plantation crepe sole? can i assume it is stiffer and more durable compared to clarks?

The rubber itself feels very much like a clarks desert boot sole....HOWEVER, being that they are Alden, you get the Veg. Tan leather insole, steel shank, and cork midsole...... They feel as stable and solid underfoot as any other Alden boot, just with more bounce and cusion underfoot. Durable? Yes. Comfortable? hell yes.

Xposting this pic from the CRAFT thread:

photo-754.jpg

From back left:

50's Russell Snakeboots - Great old Russell tag in these

Red Wing Engineers w/ cats paws heels and leather heel stacks

70's Adison black combats boots - Great Patina

1956 Deadstock combat boots - Dates and contract #'s in perfect condition

1980's shortened Chippewa engineers

1960's Gokey Mocassin boots. Great condition. Deadstock Gro-Cord soles

Herman Brothers WWII airborne jump boots - Great label intact

Alden 405's w/ leather soles, leather heels w/ V cleat

1950's "Ranger" brand, Cork soles.... great color

RW 875's

Esquivel Burgundy kangaroo leather captoe boots

Burgundy cap boots - Great wear, super solid

1920's Kid leather captoe boots - great tapered waist

If you play your cards right you can get a hillside bandana from context for 4 dollars when you buy the Roy boot...

I'm waiting on a new pair of 405s on the Modified Last. I wanted some advice on how to treat them / darken them a bit while I am breaking them in.

I've heard people mention Pecards and Obenaufs - have been looking at their websites and I'm not sure exactly what to try.

So - not sure If you guys are using Leather Preservative vs Leather Oil vs. Dressing vs Lotion... Should I use neutral color or something different?

Bit of a newbee here so wanted to see what you all advise. Thanks in advance...

Mike147

If you want to darken them, you can try and use polish in a darker color or even black. Easiest way is to use polish because of the color pigment. Some leather conditioner like Lexol or Urad have no pigment in them so it'll never get dark. Of course your leather will get dark through the years because of dirt, oxidation etc. Some more natural conditioners like pure neatsfoot oil, beeswax oil or mink oil will leave a darker oily coat, but is worse for the stitching.

I suggest you try and experiment and have fun with it. Here's a pic of mine:

indy405.jpg

I use:

- Saphir Mahogany Color, trying to get a more red color

- Neutral Polish on the toe stitching to keep it white

- Occasional Lexol Leather Conditioner

I do a serious cleaning and polish once a month. The rest of the time I just use a brush and nylon to buff.

My collection so far - sure, they're all on the same last and all from the same store. However, they are all comfortable and accomodate my Orthotics - so they make me happy

Always looking to add variety - I was ready to pull the trigger on a pair of wingtips from Moulded Shoe, but Wingtips just don't fit me well for some reason (strange). I'm about to add a pair of INDY Boots on the Modified Last and maybe an NST in Black Calf or a 'Punched' Cap Toe in Black Calf (Both on Modified Last). Hopefully this pic comes out - not an experienced photo poster..

P1060344.jpg

If you want to darken them, you can try and use polish in a darker color or even black. Easiest way is to use polish because of the color pigment. Some leather conditioner like Lexol or Urad have no pigment in them so it'll never get dark. Of course your leather will get dark through the years because of dirt, oxidation etc. Some more natural conditioners like pure neatsfoot oil, beeswax oil or mink oil will leave a darker oily coat, but is worse for the stitching.

I suggest you try and experiment and have fun with it. Here's a pic of mine:

indy405.jpg

I use:

- Saphir Mahogany Color, trying to get a more red color

- Neutral Polish on the toe stitching to keep it white

- Occasional Lexol Leather Conditioner

I do a serious cleaning and polish once a month. The rest of the time I just use a brush and nylon to buff.

Those look great. Does the neutral polish on the stitching repel the mahogany or are you just applying it very carefully?

thought this was interesting because I didn't know this was an option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alden-405-Indy-Boots-U-S-Size-8-5D_W0QQitemZ180421069700QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Men_s_Shoes?hash=item2a01ef0b84

405 indy boots with a resole job done by alden recrafting with commando half soles and heels. the seller claims it cost him $125.

I'd be interested in doing the half soles and the regular thomas heels. I feel like the flat heel looks better then the commando heel.

has anyone here tried the recrafting service and chosen custom options?

just wow! not that I would wear engineers,but this is an awesome find!

how much did they run you?

They were about $300 in cash and trade. Not a bad price when you consider a size that would fit the average Japanese collector goes for well over $600. I did manage to talk the seller down from $500.

Found a red wing dealer in Toronto that sells GTs, went to go try them on and fell in love almost instantly. They are asking a ridiculous price for them so I didn't buy them on the spot but here are fit pics at the shoe store.

Warning shitty iphone pics.

Jeans are flathead 3001

img0605pi.jpg

img0606e.jpg

img0607jc.jpg

img0608ui.jpg

So you tried them on, got your friend to take photos and then said "nah I don't want them" to the sales guy? They must have thought you were nuts.

How much were they?

Personally, I am in favour of buying local whenever possible rather than saving a few quid buying online. You need to support your local shop or they will all go out of business and there will be nowhere left to go and take photos of you wearing boots!

Obviously, if they were really overpriced then fuck 'em.