Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Got my 405's in the mail last night, and as discussed here, the leather is paper thin. Very disappointing. Returning them and going with some White's.

I wonder whats up with Alden these days...

Which White's are you going with?

Got my 405's in the mail last night, and as discussed here, the leather is paper thin. Very disappointing. Returning them and going with some White's.

I did the same thing (though I had to sell them). You won't regret it.

I wonder whats up with Alden these days...

Which White's are you going with?

What is up with Alden? I haven't sent them back just yet, and I like the fit a lot, but the thin leather (along with the cloth lining) is concerning.

Am I wrong to think this is a sign of cheap quality, or is does the design call for that thickness of leather and the they're actually durable?

Thinking about the semi dress or might go full-beef and get some custom jumpers. Not sure of the high heel look though.

I did the same thing (though I had to sell them). You won't regret it.

Won't regret going with White's instead huh. I know they won't be thin at least.

The Alden boots in general are not built like a Red Wing GT or similar boots with super thick leather. i think that is a big part of what gives them their much sleeker look (which is what I love about Alden boots) but I have run into almost no issues of boots were the leather has worn or town through (there is that post in this thread with the big nick on the toe, but that is the only one I have ever seen). I have a pair of 405 Indy boots as well as a pair of Context Tankers. Both are holding up very well and I think they are tougher then the initial impression might convey. I also have Russell Moccasin boots as well as some LL Bean Katahdins both of which have thicker leather. I'll be curious to see how the Aldens hold up long term but so far they are doing great and I think a lof of the super thick leather is just way overkill for most peoples usage and it leads to a chunkier looking boot (which can be cool at times too, I would love some White Semi Dress eventually, but not sure I would take those over my Aldens).

Word. And by "though I had to sell them" I was referring to the Aldens if that wasn't clear. A good half-way point between the jumpers and semi-dress are the Bounty Hunters from Baker. Mine:

IMG_3094.jpg?t=1255202894

Alden indies aren't a full on work boot like whites. They are soft and comfortable out of the box with a more flexible sole. Each of them are totally different boots and both great in their own right.

Jstarvin, how are you getting on with your BH? Mine are on their way back to me now.

What is up with Alden? I haven't sent them back just yet, and I like the fit a lot, but the thin leather (along with the cloth lining) is concerning.

Am I wrong to think this is a sign of cheap quality, or is does the design call for that thickness of leather and the they're actually durable?

Thinking about the semi dress or might go full-beef and get some custom jumpers. Not sure of the high heel look though.

Won't regret going with White's instead huh. I know they won't be thin at least.

The 405's are part of Alden's Footbalance Line - which is an Orthopedic Line. These shoes / boots - in stock - are not fully leather lined and are not up to Alden of New England Standards.

INDY Boots from Leathersoul, Alden of Carmel, etc - are special make-ups that are fully leather lined. They are made to Alden of NE standards. In general, I prefer fully leather-lined shoes & boots and tend to search for Footbalance Lasts on 'special make-up.' I'm a Modified Last guy and I'm waiting on a pair of INDY Boots on Modified Last from Moulded Shoe - I expect these boots to be fully leather-lined but will post for sure when they come in.

While I cannot attest to the thickness of the leather, I will say it is very difficult to compare a boot made for lumberjacks and the like with a pair of Orthopedic Workboots. The 405s should be more comfortable and easier to break in and the Whites should be tough as hell... Think about what you 'need' the boots for - and then select appropriately.

Also - I have heard that INDY boots going forward - the 403/404/405 - will be fully leather lined - but I can't be sure of that. In general, I'd be more concerned with the lining than the thickness of the leather.

damn don't normally do this, but I'm flip flopping like mackerel over here. must be the $.

Found these pics a minute ago. and now I'm keeping em'!

350mqsm.jpg

a5atl.jpg

You won't be sorry. Indy's should hold up to everyday wear just fine. I look at them as a great sub for sneakers. Lightweight comfortable footwear that you can dirty up like hell and revive with a quick brush and polish. Just don't try to make them something they are not and you will be very happy. As far as the new 405's having leather lining I'm not too thrilled. For hot weather I'd rather have the canvas lining. IMO they should retain the foot balance model at the current price point in addition to the new "improved" model.

The Alden boots in general are not built like a Red Wing GT or similar boots with super thick leather. i think that is a big part of what gives them their much sleeker look (which is what I love about Alden boots) but I have run into almost no issues of boots were the leather has worn or town through (there is that post in this thread with the big nick on the toe, but that is the only one I have ever seen). I have a pair of 405 Indy boots as well as a pair of Context Tankers. Both are holding up very well and I think they are tougher then the initial impression might convey. I also have Russell Moccasin boots as well as some LL Bean Katahdins both of which have thicker leather. I'll be curious to see how the Aldens hold up long term but so far they are doing great and I think a lof of the super thick leather is just way overkill for most peoples usage and it leads to a chunkier looking boot (which can be cool at times too, I would love some White Semi Dress eventually, but not sure I would take those over my Aldens).

How does the katahdins compare to the aldens?

Between for indys, do they fit wide? Or if I'm already a 10.5EE in sneakers, I should just go 10EE in indys?

I'm wearing a 10 in my combats.

Alden indies aren't a full on work boot like whites. They are soft and comfortable out of the box with a more flexible sole. Each of them are totally different boots and both great in their own right.

Jstarvin, how are you getting on with your BH? Mine are on their way back to me now.

Love em. They're extremely comfortable and I wear them every day. What leather are you getting yours in? Kinda wish I had known that "brown smooth" was not the same as "semi-dress" leather. I still dig the color though.

I think we should still do a special sufu x LS x Alden boot in cigar shell. Only sufu would be crazy enough (and stupid/ fanatic enough) to wait 3 years for boots! But I'm open to #8 if thats the only "feasable" option.

Oh, and just to throw this out there, my dream Alden would be a NST High boot in whisky shell cordovan, 360 welt with crepe sole.

Just happened to see this tonight...

It's not exactly what you wanted, but TSM has an NST boot in Ravello:

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens-4030-ravello-shell-cordovan/pvc-ald-mxsb-4030_ald_m_4030.html

Beautiful stuff!

Love em. They're extremely comfortable and I wear them every day. What leather are you getting yours in? Kinda wish I had known that "brown smooth" was not the same as "semi-dress" leather. I still dig the color though.

Mine are smooth brown too I think. Although it's so long since my original order I can't remember....

Those ravello NST are very nice indeed. Too rich for my blood and too narrow for me though.

Been following this thread since its inception and have drooled over many of the pics posted in here. I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of black cherry gt's. Hopefully I'll have some of my own pics to post in a year or two. :)

I'm always excited when this thread inspires someone to buy their first pair of real boots...for me, my 405s changed a lot about the way I look at all things I purchase...they are also awesome boots...looking forward to pictures.

quick Alden last question; is it safe to assume that the Berrie last fits the same as Trubalance last? About to preorder the Alden Roy boots from Context.