Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

eczerwonka - plus rep - very nice, Not seen a pair of iron rangers badly rocked yet.

Thanks guys I was really tempted to get a black pair and was on the fence for a few days about it but then I thought about all the folks I know and see in dirty bars who wear black boots and then realized I'm really not a black boot kind of guy. These look really nice no matter what you wear them with... not so sure I could say that about the black ones.

i always prefer any colour over black.i love how the leather evolves and getting patina which is hardly visible on black ones.

I totally agree with you but as I just purchased a pair of White's this year in a similar color, I cannot justify getting another pair similar before I get a basic black.

Thanks hooligan, you bastard! Mad reps, but my wallet/accountant hates you.

Just couldn't resist 405's for $288 including shipping. Can't beat that price. Tried a pair on last weekend and just fell in love...:rolleyes:

dammit. they dont do international shipping.

btw, has anyone gotten these:

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php?info=p316_RED-WING-BOOTS---1913-9013-CHESTNUT-FEATHERSTONE.html

Now I'm torn between 405 and the RWs..

Been wearing combat boots for the past 4 years, this is sorta like my virgin purchase. Any help/advice is appreciated!

I totally agree with you but as I just purchased a pair of White's this year in a similar color, I cannot justify getting another pair similar before I get a basic black.

I'm with you. In a perfect world, the next pair of boots I'd bet would also be in brown, but I need a pair to replace my now inadequate RW GTs. Gotta have each color.

Here are some pictures of my Red Wing Iron Rangers:

rw_02-1.jpg rw_03-1.jpg rw_04-1.jpg

And my L.L.Bean: Katahdin Iron Works Engineer Boots:

llbean_boots_01-1.jpg llbean_boots_02-1.jpg

Side by side comparison, some notable differences despite their superficial similarities:

katahdin_ir_01-1.jpg katahdin_ir_02-1.jpg

The Iron Rangers have a more prominent toe box, the Katahdins have a sleeker, less curved and turned up profile. The leather is also significantly different. Also worth noting that my size 7 IRs fit a half size larger than my size 7 1/2 Katahdins.

Finally found a post comparing IR and Katahdins

Also would be interesting to see some pics of IRs broken in.

I took pics of my roughouts a couple of days ago to have somehing to compare them against after winter. Might as well post them now.

These have been worn on and off since june, no treatment except brushing of dirt whenever it had dried on the boots. No really rainy/wet days up to now. I guess it's obvious what kind of pants these were always partnered with...:rolleyes:

IMG_6856-1.jpg

IMG_6853.jpg

IMG_6851.jpg

IMG_6848.jpg

Had you sealed them? Sno-Seal? Did they even leak a little? How is the break-in on them? I got a brand spanking new pair so I can put off resoling my other boots. Also would be interesting to see some pics of IRs broken in.

put nothing on them. they were a bit damp on the inside after about an hour... seems like it took a while for the water to penetrate all the way thru the leather. break in? they are the rough-out leahter, so really not much break in at all... theyve been comfortable since day one.

After wearing my Alden Indy boots to work for just a week now (bought them a while back but they seemed to fragile for wear) I have determined they must be defective. You could scuff my leather with your fingernail. After one week of wearing them they look as if they have been worn for months. I somehow have deep cuts in the leather surrounding the toe (the first one happened just wearing them to a friends house) and you can visibly see the individual layers of my sole peeling apart from each other.

Is the leather supposed to be UBER soft? My Clark Desert Boots (Beeswax) stood up to significantly more use and abuse with not a scratch on them.

I'm pretty disappointed. I thought these puppies could stand some abuse.

They have had Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP and some leather dressing. No polish. They are brand new! Should the leather be so soft? Scratching it with my finger nail is pretty extreme. Maybe these just aren't as tough as I thought they were. The leather does seem thinner than I expected. I guess I need cordovan.

They have had Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP and some leather dressing. No polish. They are brand new! Should the leather be so soft? Scratching it with my finger nail is pretty extreme. Maybe these just aren't as tough as I thought they were. The leather does seem thinner than I expected. I guess I need cordovan.

a good polishing will toughin up the leather a good deal. you may not like them being shinier than usual, but it might help with your problem. If I were you I would call Alden. I thought that my first pair of indy's was defective cause of a similar issue so I called alden and they told me to send them back to the factory with a letter explaining your problem. So I did that. A few days later I got a call and they said that the leather was defective and they gave me my money back. be sure to tell them how long you've had them.

polished up my GTs today. No before pics, but they were mighty trashed. I gave them a coat of cherry colored polish and then a light skimming with some light brown. I'm trying to slowly lighten them up, especially around the toe. Part of what makes me get sick of boots is the eventual darkening that takes over after too many coats of Obenaufs/SnoSeal and polish.

DSCN6139.jpg

DSCN6140.jpg

shitty fit pics.

DSCN6141.jpg

DSCN6145.jpg

get red wing 1907 instead, looks a million times better

Make that an 875 and I'm in agreeance. Even though they're almost identical. I just think it's silly to call them 1907s when they're really just an 875 with a diff name.