Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Here's a better price, plus if you sign up on their email, about every 2 months the Aldens go on sale for like 10% off.

http://shermanbrothers.com/product.php?ItemId=5027&ProductId=7869

they almost never have them in stock. at least the times I've actually gone in and asked... they mostly stock Alden dress shoes. Their website really isn't a good representation of what they have on hand at all; though they do have a lot of great stuff in the store.

bl_63.jpg

On the fence...

do it!

I've had a pair of 500s for five years that I love. Not close in terms of quality or possibility of repair (unwelted sole) but they are comfy as all hell and I know I'll keep them as long as I can until I'm forced to go get another pair. I've been looking at that pair you posted (the 63 I believe?) and the only thing that stopped me from doing it was sizing issues. My 500s are a little on the big side, but wearable, and that's already sized down one/1.5. (I'm normally a 10.5 in sneakers: nike, adidas, etc and a 10 in RWs and my 500s are a size 9!)

So go for it, and let us (or maybe just me) know how you sized them.

I stumbled upon this site looking for info about indy boots, basically i'm wondering if the indy's will be able to hold up to some serious trail hikes, or are a pair of bounty hunters better, and do the bounty hunters come unlined? (p.s. love everyones ultimates and cordovans but I don't want the leather linings - take to long to dry)

I stumbled upon this site looking for info about indy boots, basically i'm wondering if the indy's will be able to hold up to some serious trail hikes, or are a pair of bounty hunters better, and do the bounty hunters come unlined? (p.s. love everyones ultimates and cordovans but I don't want the leather linings - take to long to dry)

I'd recommend Whites over the Indy's due to the 405's lack of tread on the sole. Not ideal for lots of hiking. The White's will be heavy however with a vibram sole on them. You may want to consider something like a Danner mountain light or even a Viberg or Limmer hiking boot.... Depending on the look you're going for aswell

My 500s are a little on the big side, but wearable, and that's already sized down one/1.5. (I'm normally a 10.5 in sneakers: nike, adidas, etc and a 10 in RWs and my 500s are a size 9!)

So go for it, and let us (or maybe just me) know how you sized them.

Aussie boots are only whole sizes; the half sizes are wides unless otherwise indicated specifically by the manufacturer.

I just got a shipping confirmation of my bounty hunters from bakers.... hopefully this is the end of the saga. Bakers did all the modifications for free so I have no complaints about them, and would still recommend them.

Pics when they arrive if all is well.

Does bakers still do the foot tracing thing when you order White's from them? I'm thinking about a pair of Semi Dress (the past few pictures have had me drooling) and want to make sure they are the best place to get them from (are there any places that are better to get them from?)

I think the Blundstone 059 and 063 lasts run slightly narrower than the 500 last -- but it is true that Blunnies' half sizes increase in width only. (other Aus boot makers, e.g., R.M Williams, increase in width and length by half sizes (at least according to RMW)). The narrower width is probably a function of the chisel toe box; the 500's, by comparison - have reallly wide toe boxes, especially in the .5 sizes.

Here's a better price, plus if you sign up on their email, about every 2 months the Aldens go on sale for like 10% off.

http://shermanbrothers.com/product.php?ItemId=5027&ProductId=7869

weird to quote myself... but just got an email that Sherman bros is having 10% off the whole store.... use code "fall2009"

just got done staking 2000 feet of ditch... ankle deep in mud and water... and thanks to my iron rangers my feet are dry. dont be afraid to get your boots a little dirty... it wont hurt them.

Had you sealed them? Sno-Seal? Did they even leak a little? How is the break-in on them? I got a brand spanking new pair so I can put off resoling my other boots. Also would be interesting to see some pics of IRs broken in.

weird to quote myself... but just got an email that Sherman bros is having 10% off the whole store.... use code "fall2009"

Thanks hooligan, you bastard! Mad reps, but my wallet/accountant hates you.

Just couldn't resist 405's for $288 including shipping. Can't beat that price. Tried a pair on last weekend and just fell in love...:rolleyes:

Thanks hooligan, you bastard! Mad reps, but my wallet/accountant hates you.

Just couldn't resist 405's for $288 including shipping. Can't beat that price. Tried a pair on last weekend and just fell in love...:rolleyes:

sorry about that....

Plus your boots will be shipped direct from Alden!

sorry about that....

Plus your boots will be shipped direct from Alden!

Wow, I'm even more excited then. That must explain why they list every size known to man, but funny how they were $325 in the Alden store in Manhattan not including tax. Who cares though...

Thanks again for the heads up hooligan.

I take a US 11D in Redwing GT's - wondered if I'd need an 11.5 in 405's or do they size exactly the same as Redwings? Thanks for your help.

RW 875/877 in 10D fit me perfectly, and so do 405's in 10D. So same, unless GT's are sized different than 877/875?

bl_63.jpg

On the fence...

I've really liked my 500s. That having been said, here are the pros and cons.

Con: They needed a meatier insole -- the ones they came with were very thin.

Con: The boot won't live up to a RW, Whites, or Alden in terms of quality.

Pro: You can score them for very cheap and they'll work as a nice semi-dress boot. The 500 last is not particularly dressy, so you'll be competing with beefier boots you may already own. Also, it can quickly devolve to a Ed Hardy/Ken Cole look.

Pro: Very walkable and lightweight.

Con: If you are doing the workwear/Americana thing, then paying more than $125USD for these makes little sense. The boot looks wrong and is by no means a heavy-duty boot. You may want to squirrel a little jack away and try snag the RW Chelsea. I suspect it will be a better buy.

I'm loving my pair of Iron Rangers a lot after having them about a week.

These ran a bit long and a bit narrow but they're breaking in well and the length is such that I know if I sized down any they'd run a bit tight as I did that dance already when I ordered my last pair of Red Wings.

redwing_ih1.jpg

redwing_ih2.jpg

I'm loving my pair of Iron Rangers a lot after having them about a week.

These ran a bit long and a bit narrow but they're breaking in well and the length is such that I know if I sized down any they'd run a bit tight as I did that dance already when I ordered my last pair of Red Wings.

What a great boot! I'd +Rep but I'm out. Making me want to get a pair in black...