Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Hey guys. Definitely wanting to get in on this SuFu x LS thing, emailed leathersoul asking for sizing advice but I'm sure you guys could help me out on this as well. I wear a 9 in redwings but they're a little too snug so I'm going to say my redwing sizing is 9.5. What size would you recommend I go with for these?

Where are people getting this pull tab = military and vintage idea? My WWII service shoes have no pull tabs, Corcoran jump boots have no pull tabs, my ol busted pair of Vietnam era jungle boots have no pull tabs, WWII USMC Boondockers have no pull tabs, the Red Wing Iron Rangers and LL Bean Katahdin have no pull tabs. So where is this coming from?

And here's a family photo from a recent group buy of custom White's.... Individual shots can be seen in the Stronghold Thread....

photo-103.jpg

What is that two tone pair that's 3rd from the right Bill?...and can they be done up in bull hide....Specifically Tan Bull Hide around the Ankle and Dark Brown Bull Hide covering the toe and heel...Very nice indeed...

Where are people getting this pull tab = military and vintage idea? My WWII service shoes have no pull tabs, Corcoran jump boots have no pull tabs, my ol busted pair of Vietnam era jungle boots have no pull tabs, WWII USMC Boondockers have no pull tabs, the Red Wing Iron Rangers and LL Bean Katahdin have no pull tabs. So where is this coming from?

Valid points. I think the idea is coming from the pictures of the 86 boot which is also the vintage-style Alden we are recreating (except in shell cordovan instead of the original kid-skin) which had a pull-tab.

Here is a pic (which I think was posted earlier in this thread) of an old 1930s catalog (I think montgomery wards) which has perf. straight tip workboots in it. Also no pull-tabs.

Sears_Boots_34.jpg

My vote would be for no pull tabs.

Valid points. I think the idea is coming from the pictures of the 86 boot which is also the vintage-style Alden we are recreating (except in shell cordovan instead of the original kid-skin) which had a pull-tab.

Here is a pic (which I think was posted earlier in this thread) of an old 1930s catalog (I think montgomery wards) which has perf. straight tip workboots in it. Also no pull-tabs.

Sears_Boots_34.jpg

That's good enough for me as far as vintage goes...I say no on the pull tabs for both pairs...

Sears_Boots_34.jpg

i have 2 pairs of the top left pair, one 30s and one pair 50s. not as big of or square toe box though. getting another 80s pair.

Hey guys. Definitely wanting to get in on this SuFu x LS thing, emailed leathersoul asking for sizing advice but I'm sure you guys could help me out on this as well. I wear a 9 in redwings but they're a little too snug so I'm going to say my redwing sizing is 9.5. What size would you recommend I go with for these?

I wear a 9,5 in RW comfortably (with insole) and a snug 8,5 in the Trubalance, so i would go with a 9 in it next time.

So basically i think half a size down from your RW's would be allright.

so full payment is expected within 6 months? (I'll need to schedule my monthly savings!) & thanks for the sizing advise; think i'll go for a 8C (same as White's SD)

Quick update on my 405. A little over 6 months of alternate wear.

I'm pretty happy with them, just won't by another pair of shoes lined with canvas cause it makes me sweat and goes through the leather. That explains the darkness of the creases.

DSC_0065.jpg

^^^me too! does anyone know why some boots (not specifically Alden Indies) have fabric lining? Is there any advantage over leather other than being cheaper?

Also, more recent Indies don;t have 100%cotton linings as I believe they used to, it;s some sort of breathable synthetic. I asked Nate Humble about this, and he said it breathes better and doesn;t degrade like cotton can, which makes sense I guess... but to be honest that's what;s stopped me from getting Indies for myself. Lovely boots, and I thoroughly understand why people enjoy them so much, but for me they'd have to be either properly vintagey gets-better-with-age throughout (ie cotton lining, even if gets-better means disintegrates) or leather lined, and then it;s a different proposition all together (ultimate Indie). just my thoughts- i still think it;s a beautiful boot

well - consider the income..

In 1930 the average income per year was $1,970.00 and by 1939 was $1,730.00

If you make $ 150 a month - $ 4 are a lot of cash...

If you have $100 Converted from 1930 to 2005 it would be equivalent to $1204.42

Sears_Boots_34.jpg

jesus. everything on that page is solid fucking gold

^^^me too! does anyone know why some boots (not specifically Alden Indies) have fabric lining? Is there any advantage over leather other than being cheaper?

It's supposed to help with moisture control and prevents your feet from having to rub up against rough leather all day. Indy boots now use Cambrelle lining: http://www.cambrelle.com

Don't forget that in other shoes there is still a layer of fabric between the leather linings and the leather upper. Allen Edmonds and Crockett & Jones use a cotton canvas, and Alden uses wool.

http://www.piedencap.net/spip.php?article103

http://www.piedencap.net/spip.php?article105

thanks very much Robin:)

pour tous ici qui parlent un peu de français- ce cite ^^^ est fantastique! Ils montrent des photos de belles chaussures 'en autopsie' tellemnt interessants.

En fait je ne parlais français depuis l'école, (comme vous voyez;)) mais ce texte n'est pas si difficile, je trouve (quand meme mon français écrivé est attroce:D).

Does anybody know a good reliable cobbler in Las Vegas? I'm looking to get some work doen to my oldest pair of "Indy's" and I have no idea who is worth taking them too and who to stay away from...

Its not Trubalance...its the shape not the width that makes it look so different. It definitely belongs to the group of Alden lasts that I have paid less attention to...Aberdeen is a guess.

On second look I am sure its Aberdeen...those boots are beautiful, and kinda wild in that they remind me of a lace-up boot version of a full-strap loafer, without the strap of course. I would love to see fit pics of those with denim.

Hmmm, They should be #405 #8, don't know of it being made on another last... Maybe they look slimmer since they are a size 12 which is quite long and an A/C width is very narrow

nope, I have them in exactly that size (12 A/C) and they look far from narrow in the trubalance last.

you might be right, that they are on a different last though!

what are these?

look like #405 #8 shell to me, but without metal eyelets and speed hooks?

even though, they are supposed to be 12 A/C, the look quite narrow for a trubalance fit.

alden8.JPG

Hmmm...Could these be the "Indy's" that were mentioned a few pages back that a few of this forums members were getting done through Tom?...Supposidly they were doing a 405 on a different last....Seems like these could fit the bill...I would like to find out what last they used though as these look very intersting...