Levi's Vintage Clothing

this is a tiresome problem and one that should have been solved a long time ago. i was not in the market for jeans but was able to get some NWT's at a very low price. i have always bought raw the last 10 years; but they only had washed models and were cheap. knowing LVC i asked for measurements up front. i bought a 1954 501z measures 38w 34l and a 1944 tagged 38w 36l measures 37w 33l. i was worried about the 54's but the 44's measured the same as my 2 pairs of STF 44's (both older models one a 554) anyway the 54's fit really well in the seat and thighs; they look good. the 44's fit in the waist and the length but the seat and thighs were incredibly baggy. tried on they looked like 560 relaxed fit jeans from the 90's, just need some acid wash on them and i'd be all set. for some reason this really pissed me off; there's no excuse for this after more than a decade of production. i called Levi's to complain (this was in the last few days) and i was told by customer service that LVC isn't made anymore and hasn't been in the last few years. after a lengthy discussion where i attempted to explain Levi's divisions, structure and products to their paid "service" represenative i was told my number and e-mail would be forwarded to the appropriate group and they would be in touch with me. i have yet to hear a word back. i bought my first pair of LVC in 1999 and i learned a few lessons: 1) i will never buy another washed model because if they don't fit you can't adjust the fit in the wash 2) LVC has ongoing and serious fit issues. if K-mart can sell jeans that fit why can't an expensive pair of jeans fit correctly? is that asking too much? 3) Levis customer service is a joke. they don't even know what's going on. maybe they can help you with the Levi Strauss signature bought at Wal-Mart or the Silver Tabs from Sears but you are shit out of luck if you spend more for a premium product, because you won't get premuim service or any service at all for that matter....anyway unless something changes i'm done. if i want anymore i'll scout around for used models where i can anticipate any fit issues based on past experiences, i know pretty much how older production will fit.

I sympathise Colgems but you have to know that the 44 just is quite baggy in the seat and thighs. When I got mine I had the same thought: Oh baggy 90's jeans :(. But I know that I can make mine fit slimmer just by a really hot soak. I guess lvc can't predict how you are going to want them to look, so they've decided to make their washes according to the raw silhouette.

But it is just crazy that the phone help thought they'd been discontinued years ago. Jeez, that is shockingly ignorant.

44's got bigger thighs,but if you went tts you'll get a straight cut post soak with a higher rise, something like a mix of 47's and 55's legwise. Great cut by the way.

Yup, I'm tempted to wear them for month and then hot soak to the max. They are loose around the waist so I've got a lot of slack that I can take up.

this is a new development on the 44's. they're not supposed to be baggy. i have raw 554's and another raw pair from 2005 neither of these are baggy in the seat or thighs. they fit somewhere between a 47 and a 55. i sent them back for a refund, but of course i'm out the return shipping. i can tell you without a doubt they have radically altered the fit of the 44's from my older pairs to thepresent ones. how can they be a true historic replica when they go around making up whatever they want? as for the customer service it is discraceful; i was told they must be a closeout/older model as LVC has been out of production for 2-3 years. the inside tag is clearly marked as a spring 2011 model. nice

Edited by colgems1966

these lvc 605 orange tag have both inseam and outseam felled? do any other brands do this? I've never seen that before. not even really sure how it's possible to sew that.

167685_mrp_in_xl.jpg

all 600 series jeans have some common features; one of these are the double felled seams on both legs. it is correct and common construction for the 605,606,646,684 etc...the late 60's were the heyday of the 600's it was levis fashion jeans developed for the woodstock generation. Edited by colgems1966

Anyone with contacts with stockists willing to gather some info as well? Maybe some of the more astute observers have noticed a difference in the cuts recently?

I get the impression that most of the models have gotten bigger since the 634 button code of a few years ago.

I get the impression that most of the models have gotten bigger since the 634 button code of a few years ago.

***that's a true statement the 55's of the past few years are bigger than the old ones. the 47's got bigger last year. in the case of the 47's it was an improvement. the waist and seat are roughly are about the same but they loosened the thigh slightly and have bigger back pockets. it doesn't swamp you but addresses the past fit issues with the 47. i think a clever approach would be to make the waist and length to tagged size, have the seat and thighs fit as the originals they're trying to replicate did and then leave them alone.i don't know what's so hard about this...oh and they might let their customer service employees know they're still being made and have some appropriate contact info for customers with an issue. for what they cost these sizing and customer service issues are ridiculous. what does it say about them when you can get a more consistent fit and better service on a $25 pair of jeans than $250. since they're making all these changes anyway it would be a good time to clear the decks and run it like a business. so note to Levis: (in case they read these boards) 1) when i buy a pair of jeans i'd like a consistent fit, it's a big let down to buy my usual size and get a pair of balloon pants 2) if i call customer service i'd like them to know the product exists please; and if it's not asking too much to be familiar with it and offer a solution. Edited by colgems1966

I fully agree with Colgems1966.

Levi's and LVC have a big challenge with sizes (waist: +/- 2 inches, from the same season, that's really crazy), I must say.

Therefore I would never buy LVC online. We live in 21s century and they still can't ensure quality.

I hope I will find these overpriced LVC in regular Levi's store in January!

LVC is mainly made in USA, or at least labeled "Made in USA" with some Chinese components - "so what?".

For me it could be sew in Taiwan, Sri Lanka, Germany, anywhere.

But for now, all these talking heads on the LVC movies "we made exact replica of jeans, with attention to details, stitching, proportion... bla bla bla" sound like joke. They have a good intention, I am sure, but there is still something wrong with production process or something else....

these look great jewellben. Is the stitching on the 44's lemon yellow? it's not on mine, and the colour of my unwashed 44s looks identical to my 47's. In the sun I can see no difference in the fabric at all.

Yes the stiching is yellow for the top stitch and gold for the bottom stitch

***that's a true statement the 55's of the past few years are bigger than the old ones.

I think thats a myth of the new 55. The one's I got (2010 season 33" waist) were actual size and shrunk too much in the waist from a warm soak to below 32". Had to get rid of them as I couldn't do them up.

Edited by jewellben

I think thats a myth of the new 55. The one's I got (2010 season 33" waist) were actual size and shrunk too much in the waist from a warm soak to below 32". Had to get rid of them as I couldn't do them up.

possibly they had the wrong size tag on them? I've had two pairs of 55s and both were at least two inches bigger than tagged. I wonder if LVC might be making the bigger sizes (36 and up) more over sized than they're making the smaller ones?

possibly they had the wrong size tag on them? I've had two pairs of 55s and both were at least two inches bigger than tagged. I wonder if LVC might be making the bigger sizes (36 and up) more over sized than they're making the smaller ones?

I've also noticed that none of the 47s or 44s I've had in-hand has much at all for hip flare. i don't want to say "none" but pretty close to none. it seems like the blocks change, or just lose something in the upsizing.