Levi's Vintage Clothing

Just bought a pair of 551zxx from Mike (plenty of posts in this thread and some of the leepro threads) and I have to say that they are really amazing. I wish they would reproduce them again at some point, because I see myself wearing the hell out of them. They have the carrot fit that a lot of 60's and 70's jeans had. I love them.

Furthermore they were made on the Valencia st plant, and I have to say that the denim they used back them seem far superior and more authentic (based on the 551zxx, a pair of 505s and a 507 jacket). There has been a lot of talk on this subject and I just wanted to give you my penny.

Dawei69: The 505s do stretch a bit, if you are in between sizes go with the smallest for a slimmer fit.

Heech: Good to have you back.

Should we start a donation for Heech? We buy him one pair of jeans, that he can fade into perfection and then he can auction them off in Japan for mio of YEN!

Btw, which LVC jeans do you guys have in rotation or do you just stick to one pair?

At the moment I am working on a pair of 501 '66 and a pair of 501z 1954 (plus my 501 '55 is an ongoing project) and now I'll be adding the 551zxx from 63

No donations thanks. Nor any more jeans.

Will try and take photos of 1873 vs 1901 duck pants comparison photos this weekend + post. Would be good to see the two together just for general debate as, if I have my information correct, the 1873 duck pant will be making its reissue debut this next season (s/s 2010).

Will they reissue the waistcoat and jacket too?

Somehow doubt it..

Also, just wanted to say a big Thankyou to all you denim heads on this thread (you know who you are) who have been so supportive toward me at this time.

THANKYOU :)

I usually wear my 551zxx's or my 1927's, but I also have a pair of 55's (554) and, although they're not Lvc, some 1930 Lee 101's.

Oh and a pair of 201xx's for working in the winter

Good to hear that you still have some good denim to use. And I am glad that I am not the only one that has more than one pair in rotation. I am having a hard time sticking to one pair, which wasn't an issue a couple of years ago, but I like the diversity of wearing different jeans with a different cut (though all of my jeans are pretty much reissues from the same era 50s-60s).

The Lees are very nice jeans. Nothing to be ashamed about :-) I would love to add some of the Edwing made Lees to my collection especially the 1952 and 1955.

Does anybody have more information about the duck pants or more about which 501 they will make for the forthcoming collection?

The whole duck suit would be amazing btw.

"Just bought a pair of 551zxx from Mike (plenty of posts in this thread and some of the leepro threads) and I have to say that they are really amazing. I wish they would reproduce them again at some point, because I see myself wearing the hell out of them. They have the carrot fit that a lot of 60's and 70's jeans had. I love them.

Furthermore they were made on the Valencia st plant, and I have to say that the denim they used back them seem far superior and more authentic (based on the 551zxx, a pair of 505s and a 507 jacket). There has been a lot of talk on this subject and I just wanted to give you my penny."

I feel the same re the early LVC Valencia Street Vintage - bought the 501's 551's and 201's compulsively in the mid-late 90's and still have a collection of maybe 5 of each which embarrassingly are still in raw state waiting for me to break in. Lot of people prefer the newer LVC collections though and I have to say I have the 1978, 1983 and the 505's which I'm pretty impressed with also. I have a deadstock pair of original 1983's and the LVC release is pretty impressive compared to the originals I own.

I feel the same re the early LVC Valencia Street Vintage - bought the 501's 551's and 201's compulsively in the mid-late 90's and still have a collection of maybe 5 of each which embarrassingly are still in raw state waiting for me to break inquote]

If you ever decide to liquidate them, you should post it here first. That many pairs of good denim shouldn't just be lying around.

[quote=LFC4ever;1993926

I feel the same re the early LVC Valencia Street Vintage - bought the 501's 551's and 201's compulsively in the mid-late 90's and still have a collection of maybe 5 of each which embarrassingly are still in raw state waiting for me to break in.QUOTE]

If you ever want to part with a pair of 201's (are they the 1929 201 or the 1937 201xx?) in a size 34/34, Pleeeaasse let me know :D

If any of you are hankering for some raw valencia st '37 201's, I have a pair tagged 36x40- measures 34 x 39 and a pair I got for my wife tagged 32x38 but measuring 30 x 38.

drop uss a line if interested

[quote name='LFC4ever;1993926

I feel the same re the early LVC Valencia Street Vintage - bought the 501's 551's and 201's compulsively in the mid-late 90's and still have a collection of maybe 5 of each which embarrassingly are still in raw state waiting for me to break in.QUOTE]

If you ever want to part with a pair of 201's (are they the 1929 201 or the 1937 201xx?) in a size 34/34' date=' Pleeeaasse let me know :D[/quote']

I have a pair of 1920s 201s in a 34/34 bought in 2005. They are washed to get rid of shrinkage but unworn as they are still too big. Let me know if you're interested.

I have a pair of 1920s 201s in a 34/34 bought in 2005. They are washed to get rid of shrinkage but unworn as they are still too big. Let me know if you're interested.

what does the waist measure after shrinkage?

I'll take any valencia street in waist 38/40 so long as its not the 1937 201 or the 55 (have those already). :)

I have sold loads of surplus Lvc recently, but I will be shifting some really nice pieces soon, including valencia st made 1873 1st natural indigo, 1886 (scarce), 1890 from 2005 and 1901 duck from 2006 (all in BIG waist sizes).

Plus some 555 denim jackets and some nice western shirts. Most of my items are BNWT.

Gotta make some dosh due to recent seperation, and more importantly, to pay for my forthcoming Goodwear custom Monarch M-422 !! :)

I have sold loads of surplus Lvc recently, but I will be shifting some really nice pieces soon, including valencia st made 1873 1st natural indigo, 1886 (scarce), 1890 from 2005 and 1901 duck from 2006 (all in BIG waist sizes).

Plus some 555 denim jackets and some nice western shirts. Most of my items are BNWT.

Gotta make some dosh due to recent seperation, and more importantly, to pay for my forthcoming Goodwear custom Monarch M-422 !! :)

I'm hoping the stuff you already ditched were things not in my size, you bad bad man you!!!

Let me know when you list :)

I have enough pairs of the 1937 201xx, but thanks for the offer.

I am after a pair of 1929 201's (valencia st fac. /555) in a size 34/34 which were made in 1998/9 only.

Here's hopin'....

Sorry - mine are 1937 201"s. Am going to sell a pair of my new 551ZXX's but they are W36 inseam 33 inches. They were the one rinsed version LVC did. Stupidly I had them hemmed in the UK so not chainstitched. Don't know what the hell I was thinking.

Had to send my 1915's and my 1917's back due to quality control issues. Really cant see myself buying any more Lvc jeans, too much hit-and-miss involved. Have been disappointed with the last four models I bought for various reasons and it shouldnt be that difficult to get it right. Really outstanding denim on the 15's though. That's the irony about Lvc - so much care and attention to the manufacture of the material, yet a corner-cutting exercise when it comes to construction.

Apologies for the rant...

Had to send my 1915's and my 1917's back due to quality control issues. Really cant see myself buying any more Lvc jeans, too much hit-and-miss involved. Have been disappointed with the last four models I bought for various reasons and it shouldnt be that difficult to get it right. Really outstanding denim on the 15's though. That's the irony about Lvc - so much care and attention to the manufacture of the material, yet a corner-cutting exercise when it comes to construction.

Dr H what problems did you have with the 1915s? I love mine and have been living in them for the last 5 weeks or so.

That's interesting to hear. My '47s were sized 2" larger than marked in the waist and have a couple of minor flaws in the denim. Neither issue is a big deal to me but for the money they cost...

Blm, Erk, Chucko, Airfrog.

I dont buy from Cultizm as Aero work out far cheaper in the UK, plus Will @ aero is great - He'll reserve/measure first/take back returns..etc.

And Chucko, take it as read that every single pair of Lvc I've purchased since 2003 have had sizing issues - hence getting them measured by hand first is a must.

Anyway, I loved my 1917's when they arrived earlier this year. The pockets were a bit shallow compared to all my other 501 models, and the braces/suspender buttons seemed a little close together compared to previous and post years, which seemed a little odd. But still, the pro's far outweighed the cons.

My 1915's arrived a few weeks ago and I was very excited, even though I knew that basically I was buying the same jean but with different denim. Unfortunately on close inspection of my 1915's, I could see that the stitch on the two horse waistband patch was completely off the leather patch itself (the same issue I had with my 1st pair of knappave).

I got out the 1917's and compared them. The stitching was fine but the size of the leather patch on the 15's is smaller by nearly 1cm than the patch on the 17's ! Why?? But get this..

On closer inspection of my 17's, two of the rivets on the inside of the jeans were'nt stamped L.s & Co, they were stamped 'J Crew' !!

What !?!

From reading previous posts here, it seems J crew are a store which sell Lvc. It's also quite apparent that the must manufacture their items in the same factory as Lvc, otherwise how else do you explain the rivet-backs?

Luckily Will sorted it out (said He will keep the Jcrew pair as they may be a one off - couldn't find another pair like it in all his stock of 17's)

Anyway, I've let things slide in the past but enough is enough!

Also, I doubt if I'll ever wear more than one pair of pre-beltloop 501's in my life - probably the knappave - Mmm.... denim pockets.

Also I'm not sure about the waistbands on those two models, but that's another issue all together.

But dont let my obssesiveness stop you guys from enjoying the 1915/17's.

Almostnice,

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Would rep you again but cant. Thinking of selling my 1879 lined 1st, as I have two blanket lined jackets but can only wear one! Just wanted to know - how's that lining after a wash? It's got acrylic in it (compared to original Troy linings) - Is it softer/more comfortable now with wash/wear? Does it shrink at all. The Troy Mills lining from my original Lee 101-LJ has an itchy/sratchy feel to it.

Thanks for the info Dr Heech. really irritating!

I actually find the jcrew rivets funny (forgive me) but the stitching on the leather patch sounds obvious, and pathetic - just like the wrong leather patch on the 1901 from a few seasons ago. I am personally not convinced by the pocket shapes on some of those models, either, altho I've only seen the early samples, the first from the new factory. I think to some extent Levi's are a victim of the fact that there are so few jeans factories to use in the US - buyt of course they helped create that problem by selling Valencia St for condos. AFAIK, Levi's Japan are having their vintage repros made in the US now, let's hope they nitpick and improve standards.

Do the 1915 and 1917 have the wrong (round-topped) Rivets?

And nice pix, almostnice, very true to the workwear vibe!

Thanks for the info Dr Heech. really irritating!

Do the 1915 and 1917 have the wrong (round-topped) Rivets?

The rivets are round topped, which is easily rendered with your hammer 'em idea (why cant fucking Levis do it?). Yes, those pocket shapes are suspect (similar to the 1927's), and also the waistband stitch (chain or single) doesn't seem right. If my memory serves me well, one pair of early 1920's 501's (the first few years with belt loops) which I saw have the stitch 'dropped off ' the actual waistband (similar to the 1890/1901 models - I think that Lvc should stop basing the 15 +17 models on the Homer jean, and instead research into photographing models made between 1901-1921 (+1922-27) from various collectors to give a truer picture of various developmental details which some of their models lack. It cant be that difficult. Maybe I expect too much..?

But aren't the Homer jeans specifically dated to 1917?

You're ahead of me on the 'dropped off' stitching; I see it on the 1901 and 1917 originals, with a chainstitched waistband arriving, when it also appears on the hems etc, by 1927. Do you have any links to pics of the originals?

I know that cone put a lot of work into that 1915 fabric; as far as the jeans, I'm not sure who's responsible. I honestly don't know about the profusion of other models between 1901 and 1927; it's obvious that for some models, notably the '1876' jeans (two horse patch, placed centrally), they've just taken a guess, and morphed different features.

It's a shame, obviously, they let such details go, when there are so many areas in which they take a great deal of care. Someone commented earlier how the earlier, 555 fabric was 'more accurate' than the later denim. That's simply not true; I'm really impressed by the work they put into the denim on the 333 range, the original Nevada, the 1901, the Kurabo fabric 201, the 47, the 55 and the 66, all of which are quite distinct (the others might be just as good, I just don't know then so well). But to spend so much time on the fabric, and then mess up the rivets or leather patch is a simple misallocation of resources. If they can't get those details right, maybe they should make the jeans in Japan, with cone fabric where relevant.