Levi's Vintage Clothing

is it alright that i want to be you when i grow up? well, either you or your friend with the beard.

I know this might be a weird question, but I figured the LVC thread might be able to help out. So, I need to get a pair of LVC 501's and I'm leaning towards the 54's because of the tapered leg and the overall silhouette, but my question to the sizing. I know in Iron Heart's i'm a solid 29, and in most denim I'm a 29. What should I do about sizing? Should I do the 30x34 and shrink them a ton or just go 28x34 and wear em raw? I know they are unsanforized but hell, i've seen some that look awesome that the owner didn't do an initial soak. Also, i'm about 5'11 140lbs if that helps. Or should I just get some Made in the USA 511's?

I know this might be a weird question, but I figured the LVC thread might be able to help out. So, I need to get a pair of LVC 501's and I'm leaning towards the 54's because of the tapered leg and the overall silhouette, but my question to the sizing. I know in Iron Heart's i'm a solid 29, and in most denim I'm a 29. What should I do about sizing? Should I do the 30x34 and shrink them a ton or just go 28x34 and wear em raw? I know they are unsanforized but hell, i've seen some that look awesome that the owner didn't do an initial soak. Also, i'm about 5'11 140lbs if that helps. Or should I just get some Made in the USA 511's?

LVC is a pain in the ass sizewise. Sizes change from season to season. What do you prefer? A slim fit? The foolproof way in this case is go tts raw (get measurements before you buy!). For example: a tagged 32x36 measures maybe 33x35 raw and shrinks down to a 31x34 after soak, then stretch back to a 32" while wearing.

I'm glad they do different inseams. My 66 (tagged 32x34) got a 31.5" inseam :P, good thing is that a 66 looks better with a lil' highwater leg B)

Edited by dr.house

Goominim, no offence but i'm glad they come in a 32 length for shorties like me ;) If they came in only a 36, a 66' would end up becoming a 55' cut for me but with 66' details.

I guess I'm used to the boutique jeans being one length, but isn't it more authentic that way?

LVC is a pain in the ass sizewise. Sizes change from season to season. What do you prefer? A slim fit? The foolproof way in this case is go tts raw (get measurements before you buy!). For example: a tagged 32x36 measures maybe 33x35 raw and shrinks down to a 31x34 after soak, then stretch back to a 32" while wearing.

I'm glad they do different inseams. My 66 (tagged 32x34) got a 31.5" inseam :P, good thing is that a 66 looks better with a lil' highwater leg B)

I really want a slim fit, but not quite as slim as the 511, a little more of a full cut. I guess I'll just head to the Levi's in Malibu since they have all the one's I'm looking at.

Photos of my LVC white levi's, as promised a while back. I had back to back bouts of flu in the mean time, but am finally up to speed again.

The zipper is a Talon. There are no arcs. Tab is black on white. They came heavily washed but not distressed.

white2.jpg

white1.jpg

Based on the internal tag, I think they are from 2006. The person writing the limited edition tag made a mistake and wrote one number over another, so I can't tell how many were made. But it must have been around 150.

just found an odd pair of levis today. (pics to come)

517 2 they're made in england, little e, but have a button fly? The denim doesn't look bad but just kind of odd... wrong tag or a special 517 that has a button fly?

made in England, or made in Scotland?

I believe it said made in england... it has the modern 1998 and up makers tab with the info on it... let me get some pics...

pics of the 517 02 button fly... the tag just says UK... could be scotland...

Pocket bags with a stamp that says over 140 years of levis so they're probably from the 1990's....

DSC00213-1.jpg

DSC00215-1.jpg

DSC00217-1.jpg

Edited by Happy Hooligan

..or a fake? :huh:

could be... but that'd be like painting the mona lisa with a clown nose... It might have been a europe thing... 517 but with a button fly...?

could be... but that'd be like painting the mona lisa with a clown nose... It might have been a europe thing... 517 but with a button fly...?

Lol - i deleted the post just in case someone took offence :D

Who know's why, maybe too much of the Iron-Bru?

I just picked up a pair of 517's, came out of a 1970's suitcase apparently - they look newer, but I dont know how to date them (number 2 on top button, talon zipper, bar-tacked pockets and a little e red tab) - must take some pics when i get the chance.

Nice one.

Which size did you get? How's the fit?

size large. nice snug fit on me and i'm a 44 long. it's quilted so quite pretty warm with just a t-shirt under.

arms 26-1/2

chest 24

shoulders 20.

back 25-1/2

i'll get a snap of it on.

Edited by deluxestyling

size large. nice snug fit on me and i'm a 44 long. it's quilted so quite pretty warm with just a t-shirt under.

arms 26-1/2

chest 24

shoulders 20.

back 25-1/2

i'll get a snap of it on.

Thanks.

And yes, I've heard that they fit rather small.

Sounds good for spring/autumn.

I just picked up a pair of 517's, came out of a 1970's suitcase apparently - they look newer, but I dont know how to date them (number 2 on top button, talon zipper, bar-tacked pockets and a little e red tab) - must take some pics when i get the chance.

the 70s suitcase lie was the exact same one an ebay seller used when selling me some early 80s redlines. wasn't that bothered as it was still a decent price, but i think it's a pretty standard way of implying an item is older than it actually is...

talon zipper means pre-83ish though i think? all levis branded after that...

SO, I just bought a pair of the 54 501's, and I'm debating whether to soak them or not. They fit pretty well, but I wouldn't mind them shrinking a tad. Does anyone have any experience with how much they will shrink in a hot soak? They are 28/34 too. I won't soak the waist, because I can't loose two inches there.

I did end up soaking them, I just left the waistband untouched, so it's all jazzy. It was only a 10 minutes soak in luke warm water, but they lost about 1.5 inches, and just shrunk overall but so far I'm liking the look. They didn't loose any indigo, but ya they loose a lot in length.