Levi's Vintage Clothing

Dr House

The fit of your 37s is perfect! I really want a pair now. I wasn't a fan of the 33s at all. They fit me bad, but I'm thinking I need to try 37s now

Thanks a lot! If you want them fit like mine, go for your true size and stretch 'em out (e.g. my pair measured 33" when raw, tagged 32". They've shrunk 2 inches, but you'll stretch 'em easily out. I dunno the 33's, but I guess the 37's are slimmer.

Dr House

The fit of your 37s is perfect! I really want a pair now. I wasn't a fan of the 33s at all. They fit me bad, but I'm thinking I need to try 37s now

Agreed, Doc's 37s are perfect.

I really like how my '37s fit. Kicking myself in the butt for not picking up another pair in the same waist size with a longer inseam before LVC discontinued them. Looked at the 501 visual guide and Paul mentions that from 2009 production onward the 33s should be an inch bigger than tagged size. Anyone bought a pair of 33s recently and can confirm that they're bigger than tagged, rather than the "true to size" listed on cultizm? I'm wondering if a size 38 1937 fits me fine, if I could drop down to a size 36 1933.

I wish they had those sta-prest in twill. 215$ is decent considering what the vintage go for when you are actually able to find them.

I had a really great pair for a while, but they were pumpkin orange. The fit on them is great.

The pockets are about like the 60's 505 atleast they look so in pictures.

185 for that grey hoodie is ridiculous IMO.

I've been looking at that eleven sale- can't figure out if those 'crinkle wash' models are washed 'rough rinse' models? The price seems to suggest so.

What exactly is the deal with the rough rinses again? Not made in USA and non-cone denim? As if LVC needed to confuse anything further than with their erratic sizing and obscure wash names. Now every time I look at newish LVC 501s on ebay I'm wondering if they could be rough rinse models.

I think from photos you can tell that there is a resin coating/finish that distinguishes it from the regular raw models.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=2535388&postcount=11694

http://www.meadowweb.com/en/art/lvc-501-1944-rough-rinse.php

I almost bought a pair for around $100 this winter on markdown, but decided against when the AW contest started up. I would've liked to have seen how it looked after some serious wear.

Sorry, I should state that Paul's comments are at the bottom of the post-- the pics in that post are for XX denim.

Thanks, grooveholmes.

Has anyone handled these? Are they easy to tell from the standard LVC models by sight?

i've seen them in person and i did not find them at all appealing... they have these silly wrinkles all over, and i guess that resin gives them an off-putting brownish tint which you can clearly see in the meadow link above (look at the detail cuff shot) so yea i'd say they are very easy to tell apart from standard us raw irl, but beware because some sites indeed make it tricky to tell...

Anyone with the '66, I know it takes a few washes to get all the shrink out of LVC. is this mostly just waist/other areas. Or is it also the inseam?

Just got a pair of these that have been soaked once. I gave them another soak last night, but I need to hem and don't want them to shrink much more afterward.

Thanks in advance!

Anyone with the '66, I know it takes a few washes to get all the shrink out of LVC. is this mostly just waist/other areas. Or is it also the inseam?

Just got a pair of these that have been soaked once. I gave them another soak last night, but I need to hem and don't want them to shrink much more afterward.

Thanks in advance!

be careful the inseam runs short on these to begin with. i would not trust the shrinkage on just a couple of soaks. agitation from washing will make them shrink more. Levis advises 10 wet to dry cycles i believe, but two machine washes will take most of the shrinkage out. if at all possible i would leave the original hems in and just cuff em'. i haven't seen a hem job yet that looks as good as factory especially if you've got some wear and fading then hem them. the roping won't look right.

You'll certainly see more shrinkage. You'd be best served allowing them to agitate a bit in the wash before removing them before the spin cycle. That said, the shrinkage that will occur after a couple soaks and a quick wash will be negligible. I gave mine a couple initial soaks before wearing them for a few months. They were washed after a long day of digging and shrank a good amount. It's always been my experience that the first wash after some wear will yield the perfect fit.

Not a fan particularly of the tint to the reverse side of the denim.

& thanks, min2max

So true. The backside of the denim looks sad.

be careful the inseam runs short on these to begin with. i would not trust the shrinkage on just a couple of soaks. agitation from washing will make them shrink more. Levis advises 10 wet to dry cycles i believe, but two machine washes will take most of the shrinkage out. if at all possible i would leave the original hems in and just cuff em'. i haven't seen a hem job yet that looks as good as factory especially if you've got some wear and fading then hem them. the roping won't look right.

So true too. I gave most of my LVCs an initial machine soak, works best if you want to get most shrinkage outa them.

The inseam on the 66 runs short imo, at least on my pair (but I've heard the same from others). Maybe LEvis wanted to reproduce that typical sixties highwater look (which looks cool on a pair of 1966 imo).

So true. The backside of the denim looks sad.

So true too. I gave most of my LVCs an initial machine soak, works best if you want to get most shrinkage outa them.

The inseam on the 66 runs short imo, at least on my pair (but I've heard the same from others). Maybe LEvis wanted to reproduce that typical sixties highwater look (which looks cool on a pair of 1966 imo).

that's my thinking. they were going for a mid-60's period look. any way my 36 inseams measured about 35 raw plus they have a rather narrow leg opening which accentuates it.

I believe Paul addressed these as being made in Turkey with Cone fabric.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=2585123&postcount=12363

They are indeed. I am not certain if there is just one finish - the Rough Rinse - or more than one, but it's stated on the tags, I think, that they're made with Cone denim, and that was confirmed by LVC. I too dislike that tint - it's puzzling, too, as it looks like something that was done in the manufacture of the denim, rather than in the wash - and if the denim is manufactured separately, is it otherwise exactly the same spec as the 67 raw denim?

I did nearly buy a pair in the sample sale, and it's good they have a more affordable model, but personally I'd rather pay the extra for the raw.

min2max, how are those chinos?

Anyone with the '66, I know it takes a few washes to get all the shrink out of LVC.

Three washes (not soaks) to completely shrink a pair of 66s. Though the inseam shrinkage on the third wash was minimal. I sent my to BiG to be hemmed after two washes.

interesting they're reviving 60's sta-prest (or had lvc done that before??)

not sure about the back pockets on them though..

the rest for this season so far seems...uninspired...

I do like the red Levis/Winchester shirt. Too pricey though, and too small for me anyways. Would be nice if some of their size XL shirts wear actually big enough for a size 48 chest.

The hunting vest is comical. I can just see some anti gun, anti hunting, big city douche running around in that thing, proud of how tough and rustic he thinks he looks, but the thought of killing an animal makes him cringe. And Union made, those aren't "bullets slots" they're shotgun shell loops.

I do like the red Levis/Winchester shirt. Too pricey though, and too small for me anyways. Would be nice if some of their size XL shirts wear actually big enough for a size 48 chest.

The hunting vest is comical. I can just see some anti gun, anti hunting, big city douche running around in that thing, proud of how tough and rustic he thinks he looks, but the thought of killing an animal makes him cringe. And Union made, those aren't "bullets slots" they're shotgun shell loops.

I had the same thoughts, I like the Winchester the most and it would fit me but a little pricey unless it's fantastic in the details up close. The hunting vest is ridiculous and would be still at $100. You can pick up real vintage hunting wear for a lot, lot less. I have a vest that I don't wear that I found for $5, I just liked it's look of age and history.