Levi's Vintage Clothing

Seeking help from the experts.

Going for the 47 501's and trying to

Decide on the size.

Paul T, these are 33 waist and measure 33 and the 34's measure 34 oddly enough. So trying to figure out to get these or size up one and hot soak.

Also probably should go 36 length I think.

These 33s are almost good to go straight away so would have to soak cold or Luke warm I think.

Thanks in advance.

841285bb.jpg

cd61975c.jpg

f09bd7fc.jpg

((( Echo ))) I'm no expert, but I do have 2 pairs of 2010 47s, one that I bought snug and cold soaked, then wore til dry-- I can wear em fine, but they're a tad too snug for my taste. However, I think they'll stretch out to a perfect fit over time.

The other pair, I bought a size up and gave an initial cold soak. They fit good, and when I'm ready to give them a wash, they will shrink a little more to the perfect fit. So, I would size up one and soak to fit.

Seeking help from the experts.

Going for the 47 501's and trying to

Decide on the size.

Paul T, these are 33 waist and measure 33 and the 34's measure 34 oddly enough. So trying to figure out to get these or size up one and hot soak.

Also probably should go 36 length I think.

I undersized on my 47s, and the waist is fine. However, like Roy said, the thighs can be a bit tight at times. For instance, getting in and out of a car can feel like your pants may explode. They will still be wearable, but they may be uncomfortable at times. Just keep that in mind.

Thanks guys for you reply. I am a soccer player and cyclist so I don't have hipster legs. I will try on both tomorrow and figure it out.

How much do they shrink in the thighs anyways?

Don't buy either pair Farhad. If you live in excess, you won't appreciate what you have.

:)

LMAO!!! right on and true that. I only have 2 pairs of jeans at the moment. selling my Hawaii's so this would be the 3rd I'm not living in that much excess if I get them ;)

The thighs will lose over an inch from their circumference - when you waer them, pinch around 5 inches below crotch level and see how much slack there is. I think you will need two inches of slack in the jeans, unwashed. (I have two inches of slack in the RxC, soaked, and at least that much in my 55, maybe slightly less in my latest 47).

But ultimately it's about the shape you want, my rough guess is that you'd get away with the pair pictured if you just soaked them cold and stuck something in the waistband, but they would be a slimmer profile.

My fit pics:

Recommendation: for the 47, size up one inch from your waist size

For the 55, buy your actual waist size.

In both cases, go by measured, not tag size because 2009 and 2010 1955 are made big. Sizing as suggested will give a fit as shown below, which is by no means slim.

For the 47, go by MEASURED SIZE only! Size up by one inch from your actual waist size if you want a reasonably trim fit (see below); two inches if you want a more classic fit.

I'm an actual 32 waist; I wear, surprise surprise, 32 waist in Lees, which are made the right size and sanforized (don't shrink).

I wear 32 tag and measured size in the 55, and 34 tag, measured size 33, in the 1947. The 55 are still a bit roomier - they're a generously cut jean, with a bigger top block. You can size up, as normal, for a fuller fit, like, say superscore's 55 jeans, here. Or you can get your actual waist size, it will stretch out after shrinking, and the top block will still be reasonably roomy. This is pretty much what our style forebears like Steve McQueen did, I reckon, if they liked their jeans more fitted.

The jeans shown below are 2006/2007 jeans, since when the sizing has changed. 1947 used to be undersized, 1955 were made true to size. Since then, the 47 are TTS, the 55 are made big. But as long as you check the actual, measured size you should be OK.

Sorry to regulars for the repost - but I can just requote this when the question comes up again. SO, if I haven't explained this clearly enough, let me know!

IMG_0903.jpg

1947. My waist is 32. Prewash waist on these was tagged 34, measured 33.

55front.jpg

1955. Actual and tag size 32. hese shrank down to 31 or so, but stretched back out, and even though they're nominally smaller than the 47, you can see they're still slightly fuller.

Downsizing

Some people suggest going true to size (TTS) in the 47. THis is possible, as long as you go by measured and not tag size but you are likely to get a crotch blowout (look above, you'll see I had to repair the 47, but not the 55). I think the 55 and 66 are better suited to TTS, or even downsizing, in which case you're reliant on the waist stretching after a soak, and might have to sit in the bath ,use a waisband stretcher, etc.

I've seen the 55 sized down even more than this, for a very square-cut, kind of skinhead vibe and they look great. The 1966 is also better for downsizing than the 47 - it's slightly tapered, and won't be so tight around the thighs.

Thanks guys for you reply. I am a soccer player and cyclist so I don't have hipster legs. I will try on both tomorrow and figure it out.

How much do they shrink in the thighs anyways?

LMAO!!! right on and true that. I only have 2 pairs of jeans at the moment. selling my Hawaii's so this would be the 3rd I'm not living in that much excess if I get them ;)

I've had four pairs of 47's, and every one shrunk a good amount in the thigh. I'll echo everyone else who has already provided an opinion and say that you should definitely go with the size 34. As Roy6 pointed out, they will, after a soak, fit much like those size 33's.

Levi's store Malibu at the crossroads shopping center.

man, it must be so nice to being able to walk into a store, check out all the different models, and get to try them on before buying.

there was a bit of interest in my early 80s orange tabs - i'm wearing them today so i've taken a few close ups. they're taking a while to start bending...

P4010004.jpg

P4010003.jpg

P4010006.jpg

colour is closest in the last pic, although they change dramatically depending on the light - they were almost purple in the sunshine last week...

Freshdave- that's the Levi's store Malibu at the crossroads shopping center.

Paul t- thank you very much sir. Check out the 34's and tell me what you think. To me they seem to loose the 501 look no?

Setterman- I feel your pain. Though to buy online but you guys pay cheaper rent than me since I'm in LA so it's a trade off.

Josh, rayw44,grooveholmes and roy 6 thanks for your help.

Just tried in the 34's and they're huge. See for yourself. Thighs were ok right now they have 2 inches of room as of now in the 33's when I tried them on again. I'm leaning towards the 33's based on how they fit but if they shrink too much I'm SOL.I'll see what you guys say now that you've seen the 34s.

366263ab.jpg

33's to compare

841285bb.jpg

34s

93047b19.jpg

33's to compare

cd61975c.jpg

Farhad here is my experience though others may have different opinions; the 33's will shrink in length but any shrinkage in the upper block will pretty much stretch back out. on the 47's what i did was to buy my normal STF size. i wore them in a tub of hot water and wore them dry, after that they gave a comfortable trim fit. from then on i washed in cold water and let them air dry. while they are trimmer than other LVC fits, they are comfortable and do not bind. this is what i can say about the 33's and 47's from first hand experience.

Farhad,

Just go with the 34s man. I think they're gonna be great. I made the mistake of getting 47s too small and I really regret it. crotch blow out city and overall too slim of a fit.

if you like the way the 33s fit right now, I think that definitely means get the 34s. If you want them to be tighter then the 33s, then get the 33s. I think one size up from what looks good on you is a good way to go.

Also with the 34s you wont have to worry about controlling shrinkage and all that obnoxious stuff. I hate having to do that.

great orange tabs killerb! they look good and can be an outstanding value. personally i'd like to see more orange tabs on here.

unusually for deadstock, they don't stink of some geezers musty old lock-up, so i've been able to wear them raw. taking an age to soften up though - i slept in them last night to speed things up. don't think the wife'll be too keen on that happening very often...

i've had a few vintage orange tabs in my time and be forewarned they take a while to break, but the results are worth it. that orange tab denim tends to be very grainy and kinda slubby. they give a unique and interesting look.

I made you guys proud. Thanks for all the help everyone. You guys are all awesome.

also got the 36 inseam in case I ever dry them. Planning on keeping these for a long time.

Post soak pics coming soon.

a922ab5f.jpg

are those prewash 20's 201?

I've been following here for a while and pulled the trigger on a pair today too. I picked them up at Mohawk in Silverlake, it's a walk from work. I'm pretty stoked to start a new pair of jeans.

Thanks everyone for advising Farhad, you were simultaneously helping me out tremendously. We're about the same size, but I chose to get the 33x34's. I have a pair of the older Roy jeans and wanted something a little slimmer.

Dave

I've been following here for a while and pulled the trigger on a pair today too. I picked them up at Mohawk in Silverlake, it's a walk from work. I'm pretty stoked to start a new pair of jeans.

Thanks everyone for advising Farhad, you were simultaneously helping me out tremendously. We're about the same size, but I chose to get the 33x34's. I have a pair of the older Roy jeans and wanted something a little slimmer.

Dave

Dave,

What have you done?! Farhad will be full of doubt and insecurity now, wishing he'd got the 33s. All our good work down the drain ...

:)

Freshdave- that's the Levi's store Malibu at the crossroads shopping center.

Paul t- thank you very much sir. Check out the 34's and tell me what you think. To me they seem to loose the 501 look no?

Farhad,

Only just seen this, but they look about right to me, I reckon you will end up with the right fit. Sorry I wasn't there with you to pinch your thighs! But it's there that the shrinkage matters. As mentioned, if there's more than two and a half inches spare in the thighs, maybe wash em hot, once, no detergent, before wear.

Of course you can size down, or get TTS on 47, and you'll be ok in the short term if you soak cold (that's what I've done with many Lees) but you will pay for it, after the second wash. I think a few SuFu'ers do this becos they always get bored and move on to the next pair after six months anyway.

Excellent pictures, Pablo T! Approximately how many months of wear are in each picture?

Very roughly 6-9 months on each. This is my last wear shot, 47 on left, 55 on right, 47 is a 34W, 55 is a 32W but is still bulkier around the thighs etc.

47vs55.jpg

OH, and Killer B - excellent orange tabs!

The 37's do indeed fade raher quickly, I have put up pics of a pair I've been wearing for two weeks after a soak and they are starting to show tracks and whiskers already. But my other LVC's (earlier years) fade slowly and rather differently.

Stratos where are the pics? i'm keen to see how they look.