Levi's Vintage Clothing

this is how its done my friend +rep,... i feel alot of ppl buy one jawnz after the other and do not take the time to wear them and make them look great,... some of them look nice - but seldom one look great!

Paul mentioned before something about there being two types of people on this board, one type as above, one type with only one or two pairs which are worn constantly.

Not that i feel that anyone is including me, or pointing the finger at anyone in particular, but I would like to take the time to set the record straight, as I believe this topic will rear its head again and again.

I have quite a collection of Lvc that are brand new with tags/unworn and unwashed. I have also bought and worn/washed to death at least half a dozen pairs, now all sold, or given away to friends, due to a waistband that grew from a 32" to a 34".

Eager to have a quantity of Lvc to last the rest of my life, I went on a shopping spree, buying two or three pairs a year, ensuring not only did I have enough Lvc for said reason, but also a little mini-visual history to satisfy my obvious geekism. Unforunately, this is before I discovered the crap/inconsistant sizing/details etc, and before I discovered this board.

Would love to sell a whole load of this stuff, but will not part with it for less than I paid for it. Now I've got to the point where I dont think i can part with it ever! Apart from my Goodwear jacket, this is the only thing I spend silly money on.

So to summise, I used to own three pairs of Lvc and wear 'em to death, but now I feel i'm one of the aforementioned people superscore pointed out. Maybe it's just clinical depression? Can anyone cheer me up here?

Paul mentioned before something about there being two types of people on this board, one type as above, one type with only one or two pairs which are worn constantly.

The way I think about it is that some of us are monogamous and some of us like to play the field. I am loyal in my marriage so I get my kicks by playing the field when it comes to jeans. But I do like to have long meaningful relationships with them--just not spend everyday with them. Maybe every other day though.

Eager to have a quantity of Lvc to last the rest of my life, I went on a shopping spree, buying two or three pairs a year, ensuring not only did I have enough Lvc for said reason, but also a little mini-visual history to satisfy my obvious geekism.

I totally relate to this feeling. When I see pictures of other member's jean collection laid out in photos I start thinking about putting together a collection myself.

For me personally the LVC and the repro jeans can serve two purposes, the first of course to be worn and then secondly to be collected, which makes it really easy for someone like me to justify the purchases of new jeans. Right now I only own 2 pairs of selvage jeans, the 67 505s and the 33s, but daily get the urge to order more jeans which I am sure I will end up doing.... just my $0.02

If I said that, it was in reference to a very few people who think spending loads of cash on denim makes them cool. Dr H is cool in my book simply for the knowledge he drops.

If I said that, it was in reference to a very few people who think spending loads of cash on denim makes them cool. Dr H is cool in my book simply for the knowledge he drops.

Thanks Paul, You've really cheered me up, and been a good friend since 'me troubles' began. Should've just PM'd you really, instead of ranting/filling up this thread with 'blah'.

Sorry you're down, mate, but things always turn around. I work from home, and altho it's fun taking the nipper to school, and I go out for lunch twice a week, it's pretty lonely & one-dimensional when you're doing the grinding stuff, editing. So this forum distracts and cheers me up too, for which I thank you all.

I've been thru a couple of 47s, have one 55 with another in stock, the 33, the 37 (washed, in the sale, but now somehow lost), the 201, the 1901, the 1873 and the 1890, plus of course vintage models. I'm likely to stick with more 55s, but would like to try the 1915 and a good 1880s model, if they ever make one.

I must have bought a dozen or more pairs of the Lee Euro 101Z, though, they were £55, and wore in beautifully. I'm quite happy being monogamous.

Sorry you're down, mate, but things always turn around. I work from home, and altho it's fun taking the nipper to school, and I go out for lunch twice a week, it's pretty lonely & one-dimensional when you're doing the grinding stuff, editing. So this forum distracts and cheers me up too, for which I thank you all.

I also work outdoors every day, regardless of weather, so I'm really wanting spring to hurry up and bring some colour to my life.

Going back up to London next weekend, so will focus on those wonderfull '44's. Woo-hoo overdraft !

Paul, Heech - Are there a particular model you buy over and over. I personally like the 44 and 47 and have several pairs of each. As much as I love the LVC's I don't deviate from these 2 models.

RRL

The 1955's are my fav staple, but other reliables are 1933's and I've owned a few pairs of early 1937 hair-on-hides. Check out the 'how many pairs of jeans do you own?' thread for my full collection.

Not that i feel that anyone is including me, or pointing the finger at anyone in particular, but I would like to take the time to set the record straight, as I believe this topic will rear its head again and again.

I have quite a collection of Lvc that are brand new with tags/unworn and unwashed. I have also bought and worn/washed to death at least half a dozen pairs, now all sold, or given away to friends, due to a waistband that grew from a 32" to a 34".

Eager to have a quantity of Lvc to last the rest of my life, I went on a shopping spree, buying two or three pairs a year, ensuring not only did I have enough Lvc for said reason, but also a little mini-visual history to satisfy my obvious geekism. Unforunately, this is before I discovered the crap/inconsistant sizing/details etc, and before I discovered this board.

Would love to sell a whole load of this stuff, but will not part with it for less than I paid for it. Now I've got to the point where I dont think i can part with it ever! Apart from my Goodwear jacket, this is the only thing I spend silly money on.

So to summise, I used to own three pairs of Lvc and wear 'em to death, but now I feel i'm one of the aforementioned people superscore pointed out. Maybe it's just clinical depression? Can anyone cheer me up here?

You're cool with me bro. I have maybe more than I should have but I do wear the heck outta them when I first get them and keep the ones I really like. I don't put the family into any kind of financial bind buying my toys and its my fuck'n business what I do with my money and I could care less what anyone thinks about how many pairs I own. If they start supporting me then maybe they have the right to bitch.

I just called the levi's hotline and asked them about the new LVC collection coming back to the USA.

he told me

- its not going to be called LVC anymore, just XX (makes some sense)

- it wont be available until August (seriously? Blackbird and other places already have it.)

- he doesn't know what items will be made. (well...I do.)

- XX stuff should be available at Levi's stores and select high end boutiques. you should be able to order any item from one of the 7 big stores, NYNY, SF, miami, chicago etc... (thats acceptable)

- It will sometimes be available on levi.com but not all the time. (why not all the time? Its not like its gonna cost them anything to sell it on the website and they will probably make more money.)

**the answers you get from these people on this subject always need to be taken with a really big grain of salt. for all I know, none of this is true.**

I forgot to ask him why a pair of 1915 501s tagged 32 measures 35...that would have been a good one.

I appreciate quality clothing and like history. Back in the '80s I always got my clothes from Banana Republic mail order before GAP acquired them and turned them to crap. They were pioneers of mass marketed quality vintage inspired clothing -- their combo of history and quality was just right for my tastes. After that I pretty much forgot about vintage 'til I ran across History Preservation while looking for a WWII tanker jacket in '07. While there I saw their vintage denim line, one thing led to another and I found this blog and LVC. After some fits and starts I finally took the plunge into LVC. I only have 3 pair (33, 37 555 and 201) of which only the '37 has seen a lot of wear since last spring. Some of my friends think I'm crazy spending so much for casual work wear, but everyone indulges in one luxury or another, I for one cannot afford to drop $40-$60K on a new Lexus every 5yrs., so I buy LVC jeans and other vintage clothing. They're simple practical unique pieces of history that I thoroughly enjoy plus they accentuate my individuality -- who would want anything more?

There you have it, my contribution to today's LVC anonymous group therapy session.

I plan on buying a pair of LVC a year. I've got '47, 55 and am about to purchase some 66's. I also plan on keeping 'em until someone offers me a lot of money (seems unlikely) or if I get too fat and I run into some whippersnapper with the denim bug I'll give them to him.

Sort of off topic but there seems to be unusually large amounts of vintage horsehide on the bay lately if anyone is interested.

Is this one like PaulT's cool Levi\Aero?

leatherjacket1.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with accumulating deadstock, or rarely used articles. How stoked are we when someone drops some unused denim from seasons ago? I've been interested in old-time clothing for years, but other than some low to mediocre quality items picked here and there, it's been tough to find. Now it's a popular thing, and with careful research, I've been finding alot of stuff that has fit in my graph loci of good quality/style and price that I can kind of afford. I'm going to stock up as I can, because sure as shootin' this will all be everybodys yesterdays news in no time. I want to be able to keep wearing it in the future. I'm only ever fashionable by accident. Maybe by then I will have developed my sewing chops, and have enough item styles to clone. I don't have any sort of 'wear effect' agenda, so I'm just wearing it hoping it lasts.

I hear you Dr. Heech. Like you, I discovered LVC and laid in a big supply. While I did buy some things that I realistically am not going to fit in any time soon, I do like all of the pieces I have and fully intend to wear them all to threads eventually.

Clothes are the one thing I splurge on. I tell myself I am making up for lost time, as I've been a slob for practically all my life and have only recently learned to dress myself like an adult (arguable, yes). I buy a lot of vintage stuff, but that is relatively cheap. LVC is where the retirement fund is being spent. I suppose it could be worse- we could be Mister Freedom fans!:P (I actually am a MF fan, I just don't buy it.)

I'm committed to a pair of '33s for the foreseeable future, but whenever I go into my closet these two bad boys are the worst offenders at staring me down, whispering in my ear- "It's such a SHORT trip to the bathtub. One soak is all it would take, my friend..."

4386398382_5d606a638d_o.jpg

last page was an interesting read,very upfront.made me think again about my 15 pieces collection,which isnt all LVC,but half of it:

1873 1st blue jean

1920 201

1955 + a 506 jacket,front pleated blouse and a non LVC trucker jacket.

when i got hooked 6 years ago i started to digg the shops and found some true gems,like the pleated blouse in raw for 60,- IIRC,1873,1944 and another 47 (555,much better than the one above,but too small now,just sold it)all discounted to 60,-.last addition was the 1915,drunken late night buy after someone posted a link to the sale at endclothing.did i regret it next morning?yeah,a little bit,but they are worth having.

even though its more than enough i still find myself browsing the usual suspicious sites,to see if anything that i dont really need is on sale right

now.i dont regret anything now,i dont need justification to own items i will never have the time to put any decent wear innit,sometimes i choose one to wear for the day,but thats it.

just want to share,i am seeing my therapist this afternoon anyway.

roy5.9.1946,your 333s dont need a soak at all.

All you Chaps,

Thanks for the advice/thoughts on this subject, and sorry to seem like such a wet blanket and all with my witteringsl, my confidence usually rides high regardless - and I'm usually quite private, emotionally.

But my Lvc collection is like my emotional thermometer, so where better to discuss it all than here.

Half my problem is that from about '85, I wore and trashed many an original pair of XX's, big E's and so on as they were so cheap. Then in '89 or so, when they started to become big money, stupidly worked as a 'runner' for a chap who had a shop in london, buying and selling the stuff and travelling around the country buying it all up before the Japanese denim tourist's got there first. By 1992, you could'nt even buy a pair of '84 redlines for less than £50 !

So, when i discovered Levis vintage clothing in Dec '99, I since promised myself that I was never gonna go through that again (hence my sudden consumerism). Then I discovered the internet...

Then I discovered Superfuture !

roy5.9.1946,your 333s dont need a soak at all.

Crap, assistivelynice I know! Who could have figured out that these damn things in the "Broken Raw" rinse wouldn't shrink at all though, since LVC wasn't kind enough to tell anyone how they processed them.

I was tired, it was late, the sale was almost over, you know the story. I figured I'd take a chance for once that LVC's story about "buy two inches above true size" would more or less work.

So what's the actual size of these tagged 34x32 with no more shrinking to be hoped for, which should, by their own account, measure 32x30?

35x37!!!

Thanks, LVC.

Oh well, its a vintage fit, lets say.

The zxx, being sanforized, don't strictly need a soak either, I was mostly speaking figuratively.

Hey, let's see those 1873s.

Dr. Heech, wouldn't that be a wet blanket-lined blouse?

Reading over the last couple of pages it seems quite apparent to me that pretty much all of you guys who contribute to this thread (I do read alot more than I contribute) love your denim for pretty damn straight up reasons. And why shouldn't you, if the stuff makes you look and feel good? There's nothing wrong with building a collection

To that end, I want to add to my little stash of LVC. I have a pair of 33's now retired, some 47's which are now fairly battered and some 1901's. I want to add some 1915's to the mix, but with all the weird up down sizing issues going on, can anyone tell me what the waist size will be like compared with the 1901's? I have the 01's in a 30 from spring 09 season and they fit really well. Don't wanna get this wrong due to the lack of belt loops.

Was it me that sparked some of this off?

I personally think it's really cool to have a selection of cuts, which represent a selection of history; in their own way, they give you a tiny insight into life and style in the 1900s, the 30s, the 50s. Then being able to integrate this cuts into your own style is a pretty cool thing. Also, in the main, LVC have been made in America, with denim crafted in the Carolinas, and represent an attitude that's fast disappearing.

I do admit to getting irritated with the few people on SuFu who suddenly get into denim and blow $5,000 or $10,000 in an overnight wardrobe makeover, before telling everyone else what to wear.. when they have hardly worn in their first pair. But it's pretty harmless as consumerism goes.

Clerk, I tried working out your sizing, but it's been a long day and my head hurts. Check out the sizing on the visual guide, and maybe call Cultizm?

triofront-1.jpg

Reading over the last couple of pages it seems quite apparent to me that pretty much all of you guys who contribute to this thread (I do read alot more than I contribute) love your denim for pretty damn straight up reasons. And why shouldn't you, if the stuff makes you look and feel good? There's nothing wrong with building a collection

To that end, I want to add to my little stash of LVC. I have a pair of 33's now retired, some 47's which are now fairly battered and some 1901's. I want to add some 1915's to the mix, but with all the weird up down sizing issues going on, can anyone tell me what the waist size will be like compared with the 1901's? I have the 01's in a 30 from spring 09 season and they fit really well. Don't wanna get this wrong due to the lack of belt loops.

almostnice has both the 1901 and 1915. he can probably chime in here.

My 1915s measured 3" larger then tagged size when raw.

....... I want to add some 1915's to the mix, but with all the weird up down sizing issues going on, can anyone tell me what the waist size will be like .......

Following are actual measurements vs tag for some sizes of current 1915 raw inventory provided by the professional staff @ Cultizm:

Levi's 1915 - 30/34

Waist: 33.5"

Length: 35"

Levi's 1915 - 32/36

Waist: 34"

Length: 37"

Levi's 1915 - 34/36

Waist: 36"

Length: 37"