Levi's Vintage Clothing

Have you seen the 1954 501Z? Everyone praises the accuracy of the '55, just wondered what opinions were on the '54.

Teardrop Explodes (great band they were BTW)

IMO they are the wrong cut. They should be exactly the same as the 55's, but with a zipper. At least they got a decent repro zipper, not like my 551Z's. But it's that carrot shaped legs that put me off.

I donno but the 1915s are looking very nice from what I've seen.

AF,

you know those 1915's are basically the 1917's with cone denim? Not that 's a bad thing necessarily, but you would have thought that they may change the arc shape slightly or a bit of yellow stitching here or some other significant detail, just to make them a little special..

I'm looking forward to you gettin g a pair so that we can all get the lowdown on that sweet cone denimmmm...

Personally, I prefer the raw stuff as I never really understood the appeal of pre-distressed denim. Also, there always seem to be one or two non-denim pieces each season that are really great.

I agree. The pre-distressed stuff is very washed out and similar (I couldn't tell the difference between 'bluemeanie', 'sproul' or any other of their efforts).

For me it's the Raw denim jeans and jackets, for it is the only opportunity to have a kinda NOS item from decades past (...even if I do moan a bit about details)

And for the non-denim pieces, I have the Home run LS tee, the Santa-cruz sweat, the Hap jones sweat, the gratefull dead tee and the 1910 underwear tee, which I wear all the time. Would have loved one of those motorbike jackets from 2003 (the ones made by aeroleather), but the last time I saw an XL, it went for £400.

AF,

you know those 1915's are basically the 1917's with cone denim? Not that 's a bad thing necessarily, but you would have thought that they may change the arc shape slightly or a bit of yellow stitching here or some other significant detail, just to make them a little special..

I'm looking forward to you gettin g a pair so that we can all get the lowdown on that sweet cone denimmmm...

Yeah, but the '15s weigh in one oz. heavier at 11oz. than the '17s which I think is a cool feature. If the denim turns out to be half as nice as it looks in the fotos it'll be a real treat. They're going to look especially neat with the vintage deadstock '30s dustbowl era workshirt I just got off ebay. Jusat hope they come in my size.

Yeah, but the '15s weigh in one oz. heavier at 11oz. than the '17s which I think is a cool feature. If the denim turns out to be half as nice as it looks in the fotos it'll be a real treat. They're going to look especially neat with the vintage deadstock '30s dustbowl era workshirt I just got off ebay. Jusat hope they come in my size.

yeah, I'm quite concerned that I wont be able to get a pair that measures 34W and 36 or longer in the inseam. if they end up like the 1901 and 1927, i'll have to get a 32 and just hope I can find that in a 36" inseam.

I wonder if the powers that be at Levis read this thread because they certainly can learn from the vast knowledge about their products from you guys. They'll be best served by actually listening to their customers.

I'm not sure the people posting on this thread are really Levi's customers. They probably constitute something like one tenth of one percent of all people who buy Levi's and the other 99.99% wont spend more than $40 on a pair of jeans and hence could care less about the LVC line.

We can argue separately WHY this is the case, but I think it would be hard to dispute that it is...

Thomas,

I'm sorry I'm not following. I didn't know there was a problem with the ss09 1955s.

thomas failed to notice that in the post he referenced, the 4" extra length was said to have been from "several years back"

reading is fundamental.

I just got back from Cinch a few hours ago and they said they just received the AW09 collection yesterday. What a beautiful collection, although they were missing a few pieces from the catalogue, most of it was there. Didn't buy anything this time, but definitely going back there.

those 4" runs were for just one year I think... I actually have a pair of 55's with them and was quite happy they did it as I was able to get a 36 leg but it's really more like 39 so I can roll em up....

IMO they are the wrong cut. They should be exactly the same as the 55's, but with a zipper. At least they got a decent repro zipper, not like my 551Z's. But it's that carrot shaped legs that put me off.
I think from what I've read they cut to trim. I've never owned a pair. I hear the early 555 ones are pretty nice. Maybe Dr H could expand on this.

This is what I thought. As a skinny jean I love my '54, but it doesn't even seem like a 501. The silhouette is closer to my Dior 19cm than any 501 jean I have. From most reports I've read it seems like the '66 was supposed to be the slimmest of the 501s (this may also be a result of people wearing them undersized in the 60s). My '54s are definitely a lot slimmer than the '66 though.

I just got back from Cinch a few hours ago and they said they just received the AW09 collection yesterday. What a beautiful collection, although they were missing a few pieces from the catalogue, most of it was there. Didn't buy anything this time, but definitely going back there.

they didn't happen to have the 1915 when you were there, did they?

you didn't happen to try the 1915 on while you were there, did you?

This is what I thought. As a skinny jean I love my '54, but it doesn't even seem like a 501. The silhouette is closer to my Dior 19cm than any 501 jean I have. From most reports I've read it seems like the '66 was supposed to be the slimmest of the 501s (this may also be a result of people wearing them undersized in the 60s). My '54s are definitely a lot slimmer than the '66 though.

the 54's are ridiculously skinny

the 54's are ridiculously skinny

I never really understood this. Obviously different people will have different experiences, but to me, after the first wash they feel no tighter than a regular fit, except for the fact that they're carrot shaped which makes them slightly tapered at the bottom (and still, despite their ridiculous amount of shrinkage). I've got a picture of the cuffs, I'll try to post a full picture of them when I can to show how they fit.

The '54 501Zs:

dsc4260copy.jpg

But its not an authentic cut and thats the point. Its a modern cut to appeal to a modern consumer. The entire reason in my opinion for LVC to exist is to produce authentic pieces. Otherwise just call'm and market'm as what they are modern interpretations.

In my opinion the LVCs that really hit the mark are the ones that really get most of the details right like the 1955s, the 20 201s (not the double arcuate year) the 1911 333s, the 1933 501s is pretty good, the 1944 501 is also pretty good, the 1905 209 coverall, the 1880 looks decent.

Oh yes I agree with you on that, I wasn't arguing over the authenticity of the cut, just referring to the fact that most people found the 1954 501Zs to be incredibly skinny.

I would love to have a pair of '33 or '01 501s and yeah focus on detail should always be a main priority if their aim is to replicate their past. I chose the pair that suited me the most and it happened to be the 54 501s, so the fact that they had a more modern cut than the original wasn't a big problem, although perhaps they should consider marking down those that don't follow the lines of precise replicas a tiny notch.

they didn't happen to have the 1915 when you were there, did they?

you didn't happen to try the 1915 on while you were there, did you?

Yeah I think they had them, but I'll be going back either today or Sunday and I can have another look. No, unfortunately I didn't try any on, however my brother tried on the 1901 and another one, but it wasn't the 15s.

But its not an authentic cut and thats the point. Its a modern cut to appeal to a modern consumer. The entire reason in my opinion for LVC to exist is to produce authentic pieces. Otherwise just call'm and market'm as what they are modern interpretations.

I think AF's got a good point. Imho 'authentic' is the minimal qualification you need for this job.

Lvc should be called Levis Vintage Clothing again and concentrate on getting the authentic pieces correct (which they do most of the time). Interpretations are not what we need more of here.

hmm . . I might go for a pair of 1915 cone..

Why are they 11oz in dry? I thought all early 501 XX denim was 9oz, which went up to 10oz in '27 when the redline first appeared?

I think AF's got a good point. Imho 'authentic' is the minimal qualification you need for this job.

Lvc should be called Levis Vintage Clothing again and concentrate on getting the authentic pieces correct (which they do most of the time). Interpretations are not what we need more of here.

hmm . . I might go for a pair of 1915 cone..

Why are they 11oz in dry? I thought all early 501 XX denim was 9oz, which went up to 10oz in '27 when the redline first appeared?

You're right they should be 9 oz and I think they are 9 oz when dry. I think that info is from the pre distressed ones which would have them up to about 11 ozs after shrinkage.