Levi's Vintage Clothing

Do you own both in the same size? According to Rob here, who does, they are both just as slim, with the same hem width; the 66 is slightly tapered, and hence the thighs are possibly slightly wider; it has a lower rise, and more of a pronounced carrot shape.

Although they might differ slightly over different years of LVC production, you shouldn't choose a 66 over a 47 because it's slimmer; rather because it's a more modern, less anti-ifit cut.

Do you own both in the same size? According to Rob here, who does, they are both just as slim, with the same hem width; the 66 is slightly tapered, and hence the thighs are possibly slightly wider; it has a lower rise, and more of a pronounced carrot shape.

Although they might differ slightly over different years of LVC production, you shouldn't choose a 66 over a 47 because it's slimmer; rather because it's a more modern, less anti-ifit cut.

Picked these up a few weeks ago but just aint got round to wearing beyond trying on , they are tight or have I put too much weight on over Xmas ? I have had a number of pairs of LVC , these are 551zxx from 1097(Valencia St manufacture) The denim is remarkably heavier (at 14oz) and dark . Great detailing (incl an offset belt loop) and vivid orange stitching . Will get these on some tiome soon and start breaking them in .

551a.jpg

551b.jpg

551c.jpg

If Levi were to reproduce these in raw /dry they would have to label them as a 501ZXX as the 551ZXX is preshrunk . LVC previously did a distressed 501ZXX (called Rebel Rouser - class name !!! ) but a raw , 50s leather or card tag repro would be cool .Will have to check up and see if Levis originally made a 501ZXX with a card waistband tag , I think I did see one in a Lightning mag (not 100 per cent on that though )

As for the denim finish , obviously due to the process which preshrunk the denim , whether that is sanforization or not I dont know ? still very dark and heavy though .

Cheers , Mike

I think they were in fact Sanforized - Levi's didn't tend to use that term too much, maybe because it's more associated with Lee, hence they tend to call them preshrunk, even though they're not washed.

I have a beautiful original pair of 60s 551, which a friend has asked me to sell for him (I've tried, but can't squeeze into them). I'll post photos here before they go on the 'bay.