Levi's Vintage Clothing

Guest jbone45
Thanks, jbone. The pair I'm looking at are actually from a private party at a good price, which is why I'm conflicted. I almost think a 33W would be better, but then again I really don't know about the shrinkage. If I was buying full retail, I'd no doubt get them from cultizm rather than oki-ni.

A deal is a deal man, no worries. Keep in mind about them stretching, too. Since they sound like they have a very full fit, that would suck if you got them too big.

True, especially considering I wouldn't be able to wear a belt with them.

I've noticed some of the LVC tags say to expect 10% shrinkage, which would be more than enough to account for stretching.

Alright, I've been reading through this thread trying to get a consensus on shrinkage and can't seem to find a definitive answer.quote]

I've found that buying my actual waist size is the only way to go with any stf jeans. However, fit is as subjective as any breaking-in techniques. A raw 31 will fit me perfect before and after soaking, but might not fit another person even if we both have the exact same measurements. Everyone has their own unique way of wearing their jeans. So finding the right fit vs size on stf jeans is something that you might have better luck trying to figure out for yourself -- what works for someone else will not always work for you.

I can see your point, electrum. For reference, I prefer a fit that's not tight, but definitely not baggy. I suppose I could always give them a try and then sell them if they don't work out after the soak...

edit: Hmm, a shop in Japan is saying to expect 10% shrinkage.

Guest jbone45
I can see your point, electrum. For reference, I prefer a fit that's not tight, but definitely not baggy. I suppose I could always give them a try and then sell them if they don't work out after the soak...

Value is decreased by about 50%, though. I'd buy a 33 if I was you.

edit: Hmm, a shop in Japan is saying to expect 10% shrinkage.

The only time I went with the 2inch/10% shrink deal was with a pair of LVC JP '44s. I soaked those in nearly boiling water and they still ended up way too big. Ended up selling them for $56 high bid on ebay -- eating about $230 loss. Not bad jeans though and they found a good home. Beware, once washed there are no returns and you're stuck with em, like Jbone said you can expect at least a 50% resale loss .

Good to know, electrum.

They were already 50% off and new, so if anyone else wants some 1870XX in 34W, here is the link.

PRE-SOAK Measurements that I was given:

Waist: 18.25" laying flat across

Front rise: 13.5"

Back rise: 18" to crotch seam

Thigh: 13"

Knee: 10"

Leg opening: 9"

Inseam: 36"

The only time I went with the 2inch/10% shrink deal was with a pair of LVC JP '44s. I soaked those in nearly boiling water and they still ended up way too big. Ended up selling them for $56 high bid on ebay -- eating about $230 loss. Not bad jeans though and they found a good home. Beware, once washed there are no returns and you're stuck with em, like Jbone said you can expect at least a 50% resale loss .

I went for my regular size in those '44s except the inseam which I choosed two sizes up. They're really huge! After soaking they fit snug but not too tight, the inseam is still an inch too long. After wearing they stretched back about one inch in the waist. I'm quite sure after more soaking and wearing rotations they'll shrink and stretch back in a perfect way. And they're great jeans indeed.

Hope somebody can help me clarify this. I was thinking of getting a pair or 1944 s501xx from cultizm. I also saw dr.house pictures and it seems like the 44s shrinks 2 inches after wash. While cultizm said it’s waist is about ½ to 1 inch wider. So are the 44s 2inches wider or ½ to 1 inch wider to tagged waist?

I can’t decide whether should I get them in tagged 30s or 32s. I’m currently wearing a LVC washed 1966 501 31/34. It’s the japanese series (MIJ) and I heard the japanese levis run smaller than the US ones.

thanks!

The 47's are definitely slimmer. I sized down 1 from TAGGED size (2 from actual waist size), and they fit perfect. Most people here advise to go TTS

what season is yours from?

i have a pair that seems like they're from 2008 and i went TTS... which fits me very very fittingly.

what season is yours from?

i have a pair that seems like they're from 2008 and i went TTS... which fits me very very fittingly.

Spring/Summer 2007, 4170 button stamp. Excellent build quality and beautiful denim; they were stocked at American Rag along with S/S 08 643M stamped LVC 1947's, with the 4170's looking better. They were both tagged 34/34, and measured 33/34 raw. AFAIK, the 47's have always been 1 inch undersized until this new 2009 season.

Why does it have to be the same cut? An unworn pair of jeans is based on the aesthetics of it's wear. Additionally, the different denim used in different LVC models would create quite a unique spectrum of different fade characteristics. All in all, a multi-model LVC would not only be a great contest, it would create a huge knowledge base of the wear properties of different types of LVC jeans.