Levi's Vintage Clothing

Paul.

- quickfire question, the 1879 1st pleated blouse, does one actually exist in the Levis Strauss archives?

And when did the pleated one pocket 213/506 type blouse come out?

Obviously, we've all seen the ©1910 213 in your book, and Iishii's ©1910 213, from his collection in the Lightining 'denim' #1 book, but I've only seen illustrations via japanese mags or Levi's and yet to see any really early examples. The earliset one I ever saw ,actually in my hands, was a late 20's- early thirties 506 ( + it was tiny!)

Many thanks in advance for your time and effort..

Q1 - i believe so, although I haven't seen it. I can't think of many items they've produced for LVC that AREN"T in the archives.

Re the 213/506, they have very little knowledge - they can only guess, as documentation is limited, I think the first catalogue listings for both jackets are from 1906, and lst time I asked the 213 is the earliest jacket in their archives; they are pretty certain both jackets existed before then, but have no proof.

just got my 33's this morning! Cultizm is really, really fast...

I normally have been going with a 36 x38 in say my 55's and 37's and they're loose, My 47's are a 38x38 and they fit nicely after a few years.

Now these 33's I just tried on and they fit like my 47's as in, they fit just right right now.... I'm worried that they may not fit just right after a few washes...

how much do they stretch out after a few washes?

I just didn't want them falling down but now I'm afraid they might be too small...

I think you will be fine. They are going to stretch easily in the waist and the cut is generous enough that its not going to effect the rest of the jean.

have you soaked them yet?

would you be kind enough to post pictures?

just got them about 1 hour ago. I'm not sure I'm going to soak this pair. I might just wear them straight from the box....

Any harm in that? Will my legs turn blue? I've always soaked my other LVC but they were always too big and I wanted them to shrink....

if you are concerned to waist will be too tight just wear them till they're dry, If they fit you now and you wear when wet they should still be fine. My brothers 37s were a little tight when he got them, he soaked them and wore till dry now they are perfect.

the only problem with wearing them without soaking them is that wrinkles and fade from abrasion around the knee area will be in the wrong place once you do end up washing them (along with any cuffs or stacking).

Does anyone know how much the 20s 201s shrink after a second hot soak/hot wash? I gave them an hour hot soak and they didn't shrink much at all-- will I get much additional shrinking with a hot wash? I know they are supposed to fit [very] loosely, but it would be nice if they tightened up a bit.

Does anyone know how much the 20s 201s shrink after a second hot soak/hot wash? I gave them an hour hot soak and they didn't shrink much at all-- will I get much additional shrinking with a hot wash? I know they are supposed to fit [very] loosely, but it would be nice if they tightened up a bit.

Not much I'm afraid. I bought mine actual wasit size, and they're not tight after a 40 degree wash.

The colour of these jeans does change drastically after the first wash, and they take a lot of fading, so I suspect you might have to put up with it.

It's a sad fact, but I've always found that if jeans feel baggy after the first soak, they always will be. I've boil-washed the fuckers (in this case, the 1873 natural indigo jeans) to try and get a bit of extra shrinkage and failed - all I did was wreck the fading.

I made the same experience as Paul,my W33 went through a hot soak,a 90min boiling soak + dryer and even stretched to 34" after a day of wear.The inseam lost ca. an inch,if any!

Not much I'm afraid. I bought mine actual wasit size, and they're not tight after a 40 degree wash.

The colour of these jeans does change drastically after the first wash, and they take a lot of fading, so I suspect you might have to put up with it.

It's a sad fact, but I've always found that if jeans feel baggy after the first soak, they always will be. I've boil-washed the fuckers (in this case, the 1873 natural indigo jeans) to try and get a bit of extra shrinkage and failed - all I did was wreck the fading.

oh crap... I take a 33/32 (measured), thinking my 201's (sz 34/34, 555's) would shrink 2" in the waist, 3" in the leg, panicked, sold them and managed to pick up some more 555's in a 36/38 (dont mind a cuff). So according to that info, I should have kept the 34/34's? Dont the 201's shrink with the normal 40 deg bath tub soak? And am I gonna look like a rodeo clown???

well I guess I'll keep them then and give it a go

My 37's in a 36 waist aren't bad, but a tad loose. Maybe they'll tighten up a bit over time...

Q1 - i believe so, although I haven't seen it. I can't think of many items they've produced for LVC that AREN"T in the archives.

Re the 213/506, they have very little knowledge - they can only guess, as documentation is limited, I think the first catalogue listings for both jackets are from 1906, and lst time I asked the 213 is the earliest jacket in their archives; they are pretty certain both jackets existed before then, but have no proof.

If you do speak to someone at Levis, can you ask them re: 1879 1st pleated blouse - see if you can get a look??

The earliest illustration of the 506 that I have seen is 1899 (Lyn's book - reverse of an 1899 handbill).

Shame that not even a Japanese collector has an early example..

Thanks anyway Paul.

oh crap... I take a 33/32 (measured), thinking my 201's (sz 34/34, 555's) would shrink 2" in the waist, 3" in the leg, panicked, sold them and managed to pick up some more 555's in a 36/38 (dont mind a cuff). So according to that info, I should have kept the 34/34's? Dont the 201's shrink with the normal 40 deg bath tub soak? And am I gonna look like a rodeo clown???

Eek! The world of denim is a vale of tears and a place of suffering.

But are yours the 20s or the 30s models? The 30s ones seem to shrink conventionally. However, I jhust re-measured my one soak, one-wash pair, '20s pair, and they're a mniimum of 31 /1l2... I can stretch them to 32 with no tension at all. And, to recap, they're a 32 waist.

On the brightside, lord that denim is beauituful... they fade to a greeny turquoise, but keep all the depth of colour in the leg, etc.

(And yes, I did, personally, look like a clown in my 1873. It's an over-rated look).

Eek! The world of denim is a vale of tears and a place of suffering.

But are yours the 20s or the 30s models? The 30s ones seem to shrink conventionally. However, I jhust re-measured my one soak, one-wash pair, '20s pair, and they're a mniimum of 31 /1l2... I can stretch them to 32 with no tension at all. And, to recap, they're a 32 waist.

(And yes, I did, personally, look like a clown in my 1873. It's an over-rated look).

(..sob) Mine are the gorgeous 1929 201, oilcloth patch sz 36/38, which I thought would shrink to 34/35. Oh well, better get out the red nose and big shoes..

On a more positive note, i do have several pairs of the 1937 201xx. And despite what some may say re: historical accuracy..etc, they are MINT ! The two deadstock pairs I have are both 36 tagged waist, but measure 34.5 and 35 respectively, so there's some consolation. Will never be able to wear those oilclth 201's though, which is a shame. Will have to carbon-freeze them!

Or put on a few stone

...deliberately.

My washed pair are the Taylor Togs ones, which are just as nice as the 555 I have under the bed. Might be worth checking if Cinch have the smaller size and will do a swap, you must surely be one of their best customers??

Not sure if my other pair of 1920's 201's are taylor togs made. they're the ones from 2005, with the wrong arcuates (twin needle type), in a size 36/36. I would give them a go, if they would shrink to a 34 waist.

.... But when you compare them to the Valencia's.... (sob)

Just for the record, I shopped heavily at Cinch from 1999-2004, as the original staff then were very informed/interested. Then they became too expensive. Now I'm a dedicated Aeroleather shopper.

on a side note on my new 33's they had a tag on the back explaining how to remove the middle metal part of the cinch to show how to make them pointy... My 37's didn't come with this....

is this a new or old thing they're doing?

on a side note on my new 33's they had a tag on the back explaining how to remove the middle metal part of the cinch to show how to make them pointy... My 37's didn't come with this....

is this a new or old thing they're doing?

H.H.

You've always been able to do that on the buckle-prongs with the cross bar, but it's only fairly recently that levis's have attached the ' visual removal guide' to their vintage range.

just got them about 1 hour ago. I'm not sure I'm going to soak this pair. I might just wear them straight from the box....

Any harm in that? Will my legs turn blue? I've always soaked my other LVC but they were always too big and I wanted them to shrink....

HH Wear'm RAW as long as you can. 6 months if possible. They can only be raw once and yes they will bleed some so watch the white sofas and chairs...

If you do speak to someone at Levis, can you ask them re: 1879 1st pleated blouse - see if you can get a look??

The earliest illustration of the 506 that I have seen is 1899 (Lyn's book - reverse of an 1899 handbill).

Shame that not even a Japanese collector has an early example..

Thanks anyway Paul.

Hey guys,

Is this the jacket you're referring to?

019.jpg

I'm sure a found this picture from somewhere on this thread but when I looked again I couldn't find it. What is it? And does anyone know where I might be able to get one?

Thanks

You're right, Clerk, that's the jacket in question. It's mine and I've now posted it on the "what about jean jackets" thread. It's from the 2000 Lvc range, and you may see one pop up now and again on Ebay. Almostnice has also posted photos of his jacket, which he wears.

My question to Paul, or to anyone with any real knowledge, is does that actual jacket exist? If so - please provide proof (photos, not illustrations)

Oh Yeah they came down some..It takes usually 10 wet to dry cycles to get all the shrinkage...

I try not to even soak for the first few months. My new 1917s I'm going to try to keep dry till Sept or so. Yeah they're baggy but suspenders work great and its worth it in the long term.

Thanks for your confidence in the 201's. I have a long list of possible wearers from all that I've collected, but for now my current line up is:

1955 501 34/34 (554), warm tub soak, two quick washes

1963 551 34/32 (hemmed ), shower rinse. two quick washes

1927 501 34/34, hot tub soak and one quick wash

1930 Lee 101 32/34 (hemmed), one quick wash

(and a another pair of 1955 35/40, 555, 1 soak, waiting in the wings)

And they ALL need plenty more wear!

Hey guys,

Is this the jacket you're referring to?

019.jpg

I'm sure a found this picture from somewhere on this thread but when I looked again I couldn't find it. What is it? And does anyone know where I might be able to get one?

Thanks

there is a washed version from 2006 on ebay now

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEVI-STRAUSS-1897-VINTAGE-Blanket-Lined-Jacket-NEW-L_W0QQitemZ300257707120QQihZ020QQcategoryZ57988QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247