A.P.C.

jeepster

Still loving my apc ns, just soaked em and they're fitting exactly how they should (imo). thought I might as well contribute

3580611590_91b4428fef.jpg

3580617426_1fb31c5e85.jpg

CJsmalls - those jeans look AWESOME.

A few questions:

1.. How did you achieve the fit and fading on those jeans (how long unwashed, how often and what type of soaking, etc.)?

2. I've never owned a pair of raw jeans. I've been considering some one wash jeans from Eternal, Pure Blue Japan, Warehouse and Samurai (for raw jeans), but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Some are way too low-rise for me. And the folks at BiG tell me that the Eternal 811's, which I thought might fit the bill, are actually very slim-fitting (something I want to avoid).

3. I wouldn't at all enjoy the sensation of having my testicles placed in a vise for months on end, but how highly do you or other readers of this forum recommend APC New Standards? If I can end up with a pair of jeans like the ones you have it may be worth the effort. How do APC's compare to Samurais and other Japanese selvage raw jeans as far as breaking them in, fading, etc.?

4. Btw, I'm 5'10", 135 lbs. with 20" thighs and a 32" inseam. The actual waist on my Levi's 505's measures 32" (and they're a little bit loose at that, so I could go with an actual 31-31.5" waist).

Thanks for any feedback.

fading especially on apc is really easy to achieve. just wear them and as long as you move at all (ie dont sit on your ass 24/7) you'll get fades pretty quick.

warehouse is definitely not really known for their slim fits. if you're new to raw denim and don't really care about the finer qualities of raw denim, save your money and just buy apc or something. they hold up ok and they give you a taste of whether you really like raw denim or not without breaking the bank. especially if you like the fit on CJsmalls, which is just ordinary..

apcs come super stiff, almost like metal sheets, but after a month or so they get a lot softer and will be really really soft within a few months. because they are cheaper (im guessing) and not as thoroughly dyed, the dye actually comes off and fades come in a lot faster in apcs relative to a lot of other brands (my apcs fade like 5x faster than my pbjs did and definitely faster than my skulls). however, to a denim conoisseur a lot of people dont think these fades are quite as nice. for me they do fine

im about 5'10 140-150 and i sized down 3 to 28. the waist is loose now and apcs stretch incredibly fast. id recommend getting a 28 for a slim fit that won't be ridiculously tight on your balls.

deinimology09

i'll give it a go at answering all ur questions

i wore the apcs for 2.5 months straight, then on and off for another 70~ days. hot soaked at 2.5 months, once in the middle of that 70~ days and once at the end of it.

they shrink from the soak and the fit gets better, and they dont lose color.

I was thinking u should get a 28 in apc ns as well. so I 2nd what lmaozedong said. 28 would give u the fit u want without crushing nuts.

28 is actually a 30 waist, and will stretch out to your desired 31-31.5 no problem. my 29 (actual 31) stretched to a comfy just over 32 inches (BiG measures). Also would recommend apc ns to anyone, great jeans for 140 dollars.

for the 811s tho, i dont think theyre too slim for what you want. they're definately not slimmer than my apc ns which you seem to dig the fit of. i've tried on one-wash eternals at Bears in japan while wearing my apcs that day.

Also go through the eternal thread, check out the 811 fits of sidneylo, kixslf, thaiison, ipkus. those are all that i can remember at the moment, but all good fits. from these you will be able to tell they arent too slim.

as u wanna end up with 31-31.5 in the waist, i'd make sure the measurements were 30 or 31 in the waist after soaking/at one wash status( for ANY japnaese denim). waist too tight = cant sag = nut crush in stiff/thick japanese denim, terrible experience.

the 30 inch post soak/one wash will stretch to ~31.5 i'm pretty sure

as for breaking in, every denim is a little different. apc are known for being easy to get fades in, which is true from my exp. my samurai 0500xx got a ton more texture and more interesting fades, but harder (not hard, but harder) to fade. the samurais have also molded to my body better, but i've worn them 8 months longer so I cant really judge that atm.

think that covers everything

lucky my friends cant decide what the fuck to do at the moment so i had time to write all this lol

apcs actually tend to stretch more than 1-1.5 inches. if you size right, they stretch about 2-3 inches. my sz 29 ns are a little over 34 inches in the waist now. sz 29 actually being 31", my ns have stretched over 3" over 6 months of wear, 1 hot soak recently @ 6 months.

I also just want to add, that I really hated the fit of my NS when I first got them. I mean, I thought the hype was a hoax, but really, now that they are mostly broke in, there is very few things i'd change. the fit is great, and totally comfortable. Glad I put in the time so far

Well, I have NS in 31, PS in 32, and am planning to buy NC in 33 in the distant future.

BUT, PS in 32 is a little loose in the waist, as would the NC in 33...I have muscular thighs so that is what I am going by...

ok so 2 sizes bigger for NC is about right?

hmmmm I have a quick question. For the wallet fades, do you never move your wallet or do you place it in the same spot all the time?

well yeah that's why there's only one clear wallet outline. you don't really have to worry about where your wallet is placed cause it always falls into the same place/position.. at least for me

Well there is nothing in my wallet.

I had the same question as Joweee and decided to wear an useless wallet.

I have never carried one (until now) in my life though, everything is in my bag / jacket / front pockets.

Looking good iralex. Any reason why you didn't go for a different pair of jeans?

no monies, only ones i can afford in richmond

so you can't button any buttons? but they will stretch that much? it's odd - i've only had ns black and i can not imagine anywhere near that much stretch with them.

In that picture i could button the bottom one, that was on saturday and i only wore them for like two hours and then changed to go hang out, I'll sleep in them tonight.

I don't know where the confusion lies with apc being an easy fade jean. Most pictures here show slightly above average fades at 6 months. I've had my NS for about 3 months everyday wear, and the fades are just now starting...

it really depends on how hard you wear them, i mean shit, look at pictures of mine. around six months was when the fades went from cool to fucking amazing in like three months

CJsmalls,

Wow - thanks for that comprehensive response. FWIW (probably not much), I'm thinking about the Eternal 811's (not sure whether to go with raw or one wash), Warehouse 800's (same thing there) or Samurai 0500XX's or S5000XX's.

The only comment that gives me some hesitation on the Samurai's is Mr. Invincible's comment on the Samurai thread: "The Texas cotton is slubby. I have a few rogue knots in my thigh which feels like nipples. makes me rub my thighs a lot."

If only Levi's made jeans the way they used to, it'd make buying great jeans a lot easier...

CJsmalls,

Wow - thanks for that comprehensive response. FWIW (probably not much), I'm thinking about the Eternal 811's (not sure whether to go with raw or one wash), Warehouse 800's (same thing there) or Samurai 0500XX's or S5000XX's.

The only comment that gives me some hesitation on the Samurai's is Mr. Invincible's comment on the Samurai thread: "The Texas cotton is slubby. I have a few rogue knots in my thigh which feels like nipples. makes me rub my thighs a lot."

If only Levi's made jeans the way they used to, it'd make buying great jeans a lot easier...

the s0500xx are great jean i got a pair and they are starting to come along after only a month of wear... slub is good

Thanks, guys. If I go with the S0500XX's for instance, should I buy a size 28, 29 or 30 (pre-wash waist measurements of 30,31 and 32, respectively, according to BiG's website)? My Levi's 505's are size 30, but they have an actual waist of 32" (and they're a tiny bit loose at that, so I want to end up with a 31.5" actual waist or so).

And just a general (and probably dumb) question: it sounds like breaking in raw jeans is well worth the effort (vs. buying a one wash pair of jeans). Is that indeed the case?

Thanks.

I just purchased a pair of Rescues and soaked them in hot water for 2 hrs when i got home so they shrink in length. Is this initial soak going to affect fading when i start wearing them?

Yeah, you're pretty much fucked. If you soak your jeans before wearing, they won't really fade at all. :(

OF COURSE IT WON'T AFFECT THEM