Buzz Rickson

partytaco

That's the odd thing about that jean...I'm pretty sure it's a 50's repro of sorts

How tall are you?  Do you know your shirt size in any of the SE brands?  My chest is 44" and I could take a 40L or a 42L in the Slender MA1 but both were a little longer than I like my jackets (plus, I'm a little short for those sizes at 5"8).  

About 6'1", a 44 in FH shirts. I think I need an L for sure. What I don't understand is the measurements on SE differ from measurements other measurements I've found for the slender Ls. My guess would be the variances in how the jacket was measured but it still makes me wonder.

About 6'1", a 44 in FH shirts. I think I need an L for sure. What I don't understand is the measurements on SE differ from measurements other measurements I've found for the slender Ls. My guess would be the variances in how the jacket was measured but it still makes me wonder.

I'd guess that you're right about the variances in measurement...jackets with the amount of fill that the MA-1 have are one of the easiest garments to have a wide interpretation of what should theoretically be the same measurements.  I'm also a 44 in FH shirts (assuming we're talking work shirts/westerns, not T's) so it's hard for me to imagine you needing the 42 for it to fit in the chest/shoulders.  If you want the extra length, and ability to really layer under it, the 42 might be ok, but since it's already a longer cut, the 40 probably has the kind of room you need. 

My only caveat with this advice is that I'm pretty broad of shoulder and chest, which is why I have to size 44 in the FH shirts and I like shirts and jackets to fit as short as they can and still keep me covered when I move, so I'm used to pretty snug fits in the shoulders and chest to help dial in the shortest possible length.

I'd guess that you're right about the variances in measurement...jackets with the amount of fill that the MA-1 have are one of the easiest garments to have a wide interpretation of what should theoretically be the same measurements.  I'm also a 44 in FH shirts (assuming we're talking work shirts/westerns, not T's) so it's hard for me to imagine you needing the 42 for it to fit in the chest/shoulders.  If you want the extra length, and ability to really layer under it, the 42 might be ok, but since it's already a longer cut, the 40 probably has the kind of room you need. 

My only caveat with this advice is that I'm pretty broad of shoulder and chest, which is why I have to size 44 in the FH shirts and I like shirts and jackets to fit as short as they can and still keep me covered when I move, so I'm used to pretty snug fits in the shoulders and chest to help dial in the shortest possible length.

Yea I don't know, I'm assuming they're the same model and the discrepancy is just due to how the measurement was taken. And yeah, we're talking FH button downs, not their T's. But I do like a fuller cut, and I do like the extra length. We'll see, I still think I'm leaning toward a 42L. But thanks for all the info and advice by the way. duly appreciated.

^^ Mega, I recently bought a US-made Spiewak N3B and on the few occasions to date that I've worn it, I've been absolutely roasting in it. It's just waiting until the weather gets cold enough for me to wear it comfortably. I assume your BR version may be even warmer as it has the wool interlining; they are amazing coats, practical but stylish.

It's certainly frikkin hot mate, the only minor gripe I have with it is that although it is waterproof the outer material really shows up rain (colour change). Great details though and paying not much for it from ebay was a real plus.

The Spiewak stuff is really nice, I considered one of their N-1's a few weeks ago too (need to stop buying coats).

It is absolutely perfect for the current temperatures, the flannel lining is quite warm. I'm quite confident that I could comfortably wear it with just a tee shirt at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey fellas looking to pick up the buzz x WG ma-1 in the slender/long version and need some sizing advice cause I can't try it in person... wondering if the size 40 would be the right size for a slim fit. I am 6"1 about 180lbs with a 41" chest...any help would be great before I make the plunge. I have an alpha slimfit ma-1 in medium and that seems to fit pretty well but a tad too short. Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone confirm if the BR x WG MA-1 jackets are actually made in Japan. My reading points to some confusion and lack of labeling. It is also my understanding that BR (toyo) do manufacture some items in China, which adds to the lack of clarity.

Apologies if this has already been addressed.

Thanks.

Edited by plebsrus

Can anyone confirm if the BR x WG MA-1 jackets are actually made in Japan. My reading points to some confusion and lack of labeling. It is also my understanding that BR (toyo) do manufacture some items in China, which adds to the lack of clarity.

Apologies if this has already been addressed.

Thanks.

Toyo does make some things in China, but nothing from the Buzz Rickson line.

I was going to handle a Converse x Buzz Rickson shoe project about 3 years ago and it all fell apart because BR refused to have the shoes made in China or Taiwan with their name on it.

Are there any pictures of this? I would love to see that, BR x WG athletic chucks were great, I wish I had another pair. 

Nope, it never got past the talks between the brands because BR wouldn't allow the shoes to be made outside of Japan.

• 2 months later...

Some classics:

9403FC21-4CB6-4ECE-AB41-EC4CAF62D3E8.jpg

2e1a743f-3de0-48ad-bd8f-9d07d15824ce.jpg

8D3504AC-FFA6-44AC-B15E-AE7BE9AE6663.jpg

1AD7A4F6-B863-4CB9-A709-08DE64AB4F44.jpg

0E6EB319-7159-45BD-8B2F-C2F97E131C04.jpg

241BD216-EE24-4C5B-996A-A8381B19AA7C.jpg

BA0D4E3C-66E2-4EF5-A807-1568162CB88A.jpg

These only get better with age…mine is 8-9 months in with a lot of wear, and a fair amount of washing/drying.  I love them when they are new, but they only keep getting better.  Wish the subtle variations in the fabric were easier to capture with camera.

525c2ecf-b260-47c5-8321-e5673ea4fc68.jpg

11B59288-E579-4FDB-AC76-C8F18085718B.jpg

67FF1093-1304-4E9C-95E1-5F6AEFF4A339.jpg

Edited by tmadd

• 1 month later...

I grabbed a WG x BR ma-1 a while back and never wore it due to sizing issues. tmadd, you were spot in with the sizing advice, by the way, I should have gone with the 40L.

Anyway, not to hold things up but I'm selling it if anyone is looking for a 42L (slim).

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/156526-williamgibson-x-buzzrickson-wtaps-eg/

• 3 weeks later...

For sale: two of the greatest shirts ever made in size L. I'm selling both for $80 shipped apiece, but if you want both it's $150.

The only reason I'm selling these is because I've lost a significant amount of weight. I've already re-purchased both in a size down. 

29478DBE-8392-4320-B36E-3A938A7C0D71_zps

Both have been washed two-ish times to soften them up, but they have minimal wear. 

Edited by jstavrin

• 4 weeks later...