4 hours ago, dubwise said:

Anybody have any experience with Haven pants? Been eyeing their Solo Pants (not sure though if this qualifies as Techwear) and would appreciate some feedback from someone who had the chance to check one out...

I have their Aviator Pants and have tried a couple tops and pants. Overall the quality is there, but some of the fits didn’t quite work for me. To me they feel like a next step from Wings+Horns, with more technical features and slightly more generous fits.
I am really happy with the Aviator Pants. The fit is a great relaxed cargo fit, the stotz fabric holds up great while being comfortable, and the pockets offer plenty of storage.
The solo pants have been done in a couple of different fabrics, I tried them in nylon taslan. They felt like a lightweight hiking pant, although the fit might be roomy to some coming from tapered pants. I’m not sure how much the dry skin will affect structure, but I believe they’re intended to “drape” more than other pants in the lineup.

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2021 at 8:19 AM, piece keeper said:

Anyone have long term reviews/experiences with shakedry? How has it helped up in both form and function? Thanks in advance!

Got the veilance rhomb since two years and i have to say it's a great rain jacket for the warmer days of the year. Brought it to my recent trip to italy and always kept it for "emergency use" in my 3A-3TS which worked very good because its a. very lightweight and b. very packable. Waterproofness proved great to me so far. It's cut kind of doesn't work with layering because its cut too slim though.

@piece keeper I’ve had the Rhomb (SS19) and J63A-FO (FW18) since their releases and haven’t had any durability issues like some. Lot of people seem to complain it looks like a trash bag but irl it’s more leatherish. Online product shots make it appear smoother when it does have some  texture. I don’t necessarily baby either of them and though it’s not necessarily recommended I have worn bags w both. I try not to make that a habit but hasn't affected either thus far. As Dix mentioned the Rhomb is a perfect travel/emergency shell and performs well in warmer weather (still gets hot/clammy imo pushing 25+ Celsius). I keep mine packed in a pouch in my bike bag, would be nice if it packed into itself. You could try stuffing it into one of the hand pocket I suppose. It runs slim since it was made for “urban running” so it was one of the Veilance pieces I sized up on. The zipper isn’t waterproof so it can leak, same w the pocket seams on the J63A. Really only noticed this issue when biking in heavy rain not walking around casually. I’ve worn the rhomb hiking but would only recommend this for wide open trails, anything dense and brushy wouldn't risk it. Also don’t put any adhesive to it bc it will pull the face membrane away (pic from the Acr thread when the J63-PB first released showing this). One other thing is the feel of these jackets is much different bc the J63 is bonded to Power Grid Fleece so it feels much more substantial to the paper thing Rhomb. The J67-FO would be a closer Acr comparison.

1B550486-B929-4EF6-AE7D-579295B1D10E.jpeg

3E70915D-C7E3-4D66-B0F2-92092BCC309A.jpeg

DA7B7FC1-E895-4E4B-8318-1AB20B991168.jpeg

Edited by wexler

Actually you can pack the rhomb into itself! Look into the right sidepocket and you will find a button on the inside of the hem. There is a hidden compartment which you can use to do this. As i find this a bit finnicky, i always just pack it into its own hood - less compression but much easier too handle and quicker to pack/unpack.

On 7/22/2021 at 11:45 AM, dixonschneider said:

Actually you can pack the rhomb into itself! Look into the right sidepocket and you will find a button on the inside of the hem. There is a hidden compartment which you can use to do this. As i find this a bit finnicky, i always just pack it into its own hood - less compression but much easier too handle and quicker to pack/unpack.

I remember I saw someone mention this then when I checked never saw it so thought they had meant pack into the hand pocket. Will likely just keep using the pouch, sounds less finicky and can use the loops to hang off a bag. Also get a little added protection when tossing it into bags w pens, pencils, knife or anything else w an edge it could catch on when putting in/out. Thanks for mentioning the snap, I know exactly where it is now lol.

Edited by wexler

I thought the community might enjoy a little blast from the past:

IMG_2521.thumb.JPEG.e9309a0bbf683f0b6d9a63d690632de8.JPEG

IMG_2522.thumb.JPEG.da9060d9ee4fa5d4a68bbe87338dd63a.JPEG

IMG_2523.thumb.JPEG.8ae2477f01d149365755896ca7d73370.JPEG

IMG_2524.thumb.JPEG.cccde6321d386bd18d20646bc20b3f91.JPEG

IMG_2525.thumb.JPEG.495c5fe5e3f208ca87794db756179e59.JPEG

•Burton's version of the MA-2 flight jacket.
•Pre-Errolson's stint at Burton as confirmed by DM.
•Traditional pen pocket on left sleeve and additional pockets on the right sleeve.
•Velcro and zippered lower waist pockets.
•Lateral arm vents
•Multiple inner pockets
•Light weight nylon. Semi-water and wind resistant.
•COOLEST FEATURE: Adjustable sleeve cuffs with built-in hand gloves.

I have it for sale if anyone is interested. Shoot me a DM!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

^ boxier than usual arc

Edited by dranoelsy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, FelixRevolt said:

Does anyone know much about Futura x TNF collab? Got the opportunity to trade my J1B Multi for this https://grailed.app.link/AZ3FyQbOElb

But I’ve been stalling on this swap for weeks as I don’t know much about it.

It's old. Think like 04? Futura sued them recently for using his atom graphic to use as a logo, so I guess interesting as a "happier times" piece. Google says the women's one was gtx. There's been some sitting for sale in japan for under $600 for a long time. I'd put it towards a CPxThroup mille ;) 

On 12/2/2021 at 10:05 PM, beepy said:

It's old. Think like 04? Futura sued them recently for using his atom graphic to use as a logo, so I guess interesting as a "happier times" piece. Google says the women's one was gtx. There's been some sitting for sale in japan for under $600 for a long time. I'd put it towards a CPxThroup mille ;) 

not to mention the name likeness on top of the logo. Futurelight fabric, like cmon

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Community,

I am searching for dyeing techniques for sneakers, Bamba 3s to be exact. Seen a video from the WataruBob YT channel who used DYLON 34 green to dye his Bamba Speedcross. Now, before I dip my 400$+ white sneakers into a bucket of dye I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with dyeing shoes (no canvas uppers but nylon, polyester, polyurethane etc.). I would appreciate any tips and tricks preferably with photos or links to further inform myself. Thx :)

Edited by ben__________jk

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/2/2022 at 2:19 PM, ben__________jk said:

Hello Community,

I am searching for dyeing techniques for sneakers, Bamba 3s to be exact. Seen a video from the WataruBob YT channel who used DYLON 34 green to dye his Bamba Speedcross. Now, before I dip my 400$+ white sneakers into a bucket of dye I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with dyeing shoes (no canvas uppers but nylon, polyester, polyurethane etc.). I would appreciate any tips and tricks preferably with photos or links to further inform myself. Thx :)

Hi all, longtime lurker here finally biting the $6 bullet to share my results and exp with dyeing this pair of Bamba 3.x 

20220731_185449.thumb.jpg.aa37afc3fce474d3d991c70a2c41f0be.jpg

I reviewed similar available online resources and learned a bit from trial and error while practicing with old shoes. I went into dyeing this pair hoping to do a gradient between 2 synthetic dyes (aqua/blue fade) but messed it up and completely bricked an attempt to add “weathering” using acrylic paint following that. 

20220531_145141.thumb.jpg.c9453cc63abb6d5b04932f7449fb9fac.jpg

20220531_184046.thumb.jpg.9ab84f6fb873495b66606afe2d3fa511.jpg

I debated what to do from there and ultimately used black leather dye to cover most of the shoe, including the synthetic upper that was already dyed aqua (hence the weird nuclear glowing black color) while omitting the bottoms of the soles and preserving the aqua colored heel strap buckle thing inside of plastic wrap.  I can’t do much more to destroy them any further, so I suppose this pair is done.

20220731_185928.thumb.jpg.f1a982f7411c70eed27b30aa6a379f51.jpg20220731_190049.thumb.jpg.804bc29cb112c81f69b79c6a281646d5.jpg20220731_190059.thumb.jpg.bd6f042ace2649f4a9a8c0bd4aebffad.jpg

Here are my recommendations for using the two main types of dye that work with sneakers:

SYNTHETIC DYE

PRO

-Synthetic dye will only leave permanent color results on a few areas of the 3.x model and wash clean out of the leather and rubber portions after multiple rinses and use of soap/soda ash (see pre-black leather dye pics for a better idea of this)

-Huge range of color options compared to leather dyes

-Results are very permanent after washing out excess dye

CON

-Needs to reach boiling temperature when mixed. Adheres best when still somewhat hot, but high heat could also melt shoe upper or glue. Using 30sec dye dunks w/ 3-5 min periods of cooling time out of the dye bath was a method that seemed to work well for bolder results compared to longer soak times in cooled dye baths. The shoes are gonna shrink a bit for sure, best to size up .5 if TTS fits snug 

-Results are irreversible (exact measurements/ test runs highly recommended) and it’s very difficult to control overall color fidelity of non-earthen dye tones; bright colors can look sort of “easter egg”ish (this picture is lying, it didn't even look this good)

20220515_193643.thumb.jpg.108dc6c0c41df266b3d59215b7f2b33f.jpg

LEATHER DYE

PRO

-Leaves permanent color results on all shoe materials (leather, synthetic, rubber) 

-Dye color intensity can be thinned with neutral leather dye + excessively dyed results can largely be stripped back using acetone/rubbing alcohol + elbow grease

- Sick “worn future” aesthetic for black/earth tones  (or “toxic sludge” look for other colors)

CON

- Messy to apply + rinse out

-Takes forever to fully rinse out, stains your beloved jawnz

I used black leather dye + water immersion to create a “camo” pattern on my shorts as well, which I think came out surprisingly cool.  

20220731_185129.thumb.jpg.f2dde1cc6da9e9ca196b271c4e7243a4.jpg

Hope this was helpful!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...