The Flat Head

LFC4ever

does the initial soak make a significant difference in the overall roping I'll have over time? or is it just kind a head start?

EDIT: It sure feels like I'm overthinking this. do you guys agree?

It depends on how you do your initial soak. Shrinkage is necessary for roping, so if you get most of the shrinkage out of the way with your initial soak you won't see as much roping.

If you look at a pair of one-wash denim, you will see that there is already some roping at the hem.

That being said, you'll still get roping if you hem after the soak because they will still shrink a little with each wash.

You'll be fine with either. Given the choice, I'd suggest hemming first for the convenience alone. Too often people are too lazy and start wearing without hemming; $300 jeans without a proper hem reeks of n00b. /rant

^^ plus roping happens not only because of shrinkage but when you wash, the chainstich on the hem will create a pull on the fabric with movements while washing.. so not a big deal if you hem after wearing them for awhile...

hmmm. the convenience factor is nice, but at the same time I know i'm going down to sf really early this summer. I have to take a friend's pair of rjb's to be hemmed as well as visit family in oakland haha.

but getting that first soak roping in would be nice. So if I want to shoot for a like 34-35" hem I should have SE hem it to like... 37" ??

oh woah. hmmmm. so 3 inches is max.

wait, why are they 41 if tagged inseam is 39? is that self edge/flat head saying expect 2" shrinkage? bah. I'm overthinking all of this again.

Haha. Flat Head (in particular) always stamp their patches with the "wrong" inseam length. Look at the SEXFH05 and SEXFH05BK and SE05BSP etc etc.

Honestly, find out your proper inseam length, add 3" and tell Kiya to hem it at that length. That way, you can soak and wear your jeans straight away. In addition, they will be chainstitched at the appropriate length and at no extra cost! BOOM time.

Haha. Flat Head (in particular) always stamp their patches with the "wrong" inseam length. Look at the SEXFH05 and SEXFH05BK and SE05BSP etc etc.

Honestly, find out your proper inseam length, add 3" and tell Kiya to hem it at that length. That way, you can soak and wear your jeans straight away. In addition, they will be chainstitched at the appropriate length and at no extra cost! BOOM time.

how do you think it'd look if i left it a little bit longer than proper inseam? that way I figure I can cuff or leave it uncuffed and it'd still look alright?

my apc's are inseam 34" right now and they look fine from that regard but i know the leg opening is a little bit larger so it's hard to compare how they look.

oh man. that's pretty nice. hmmm. although I already have a pretty short inseam so i know i'd hem it at least a little bit. the question is before or after. haha do i gamble on the denim gods and how much my inseam will shrink?

oh wow... i haven't even worn the 4001's i got about a month ago because i've been meaning to get them hemmed a few inches... but after cents' post, i'm seriously considering to keep the stacks instead. i think it'd look even better in black once they fade

We had about 40 left after Inazuma but they all sold out within a day or two once they went online.

^ those look good. is that post-soak?

I ordered the bsps in a size 31 last week. They should be here on tuesday. I didn't get them hemmed but I'll definitely be throwing up some fit pics pre and post soak. Then they'll be put in my closet till I go down to sf this summer i guess haha.

ashkaun; I am about a 33" inseam and my BSPs are 38" inseam. I love stacking so it is really up to you and what you want to do. Here is a front and rear of what it would look like with an extra 5" of inseam...

SE05BSPFront.jpg

SE05BSPBack.jpg

man, that's some crazy fit!! nice stacks as well.:)