The Flat Head

LFC4ever

I've crawled this thread pretty hard ever since SE announced their sale and finally received a pair of F310s. When I button them, they are tight. They are easy to button, but they are tight - no room to spare, no looseness.

I am thinking that post-soak these will go too far, especially if the 2nd soak goes even further as the thread seems to suggest.

Too small, right?

that's too tight. those will shrink and shrink and shrink.

even if you can fit those post soak, they'll look very unflattering. You can stretch em out and make em fit but I've always been against trying to do unnatural things to my denim.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I decided that if they were button fly, I would possibly push it, but I don't think I could get a zipper up. I also think for my next denim, I'm just not going to push it as hard as I have in the past. I read that someone said it's maybe not such a great idea to stretch the shit outta top blocks all the time.

SE has a new RJB in, so I have a new massive thread to read now :D

so i was in btw dior homme mij 19cm or FH BSPs. skistar recommended that i should get bsps. My question is Flathead denim a ton better in terms of quality than the dior hommes? I absolutely love the dior homme fit, but wanna hear a quality comparison the two from ppl who actually own both...let me know. thanks y'all

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I decided that if they were button fly, I would possibly push it, but I don't think I could get a zipper up. I also think for my next denim, I'm just not going to push it as hard as I have in the past. I read that someone said it's maybe not such a great idea to stretch the shit outta top blocks all the time.

SE has a new RJB in, so I have a new massive thread to read now :D

A good call. My days of downsizing are over for many reasons. No need to live in discomfort - better to trust in the wisdom of the cut TTS.

Hoping to see more RJB on this forum too, so good luck!

I did community service in the Santa Monica mountains today and got mud along the bottom of my legs which called for a wash. Sorry no before pics but here are some pics of them as they're drying.

FH3001 4 soaks, 3 washes.

4613091133_abed86c457.jpg

If you look closely, there's still mud along the side of the right leg. I'll clean it off later before I wear them.

4613707288_c6034060ec.jpg

so I've spent the better part of today skimming this thread and I've decided I'm going to get se05bsps TTS.

But what I'm wondering is if I should hem them pre-soak or post-soak.

I'm getting them online when they restock but I'll definitely be down in the area within the next month or two so I can't decide whether I should just have them hem it before they send it up or if i should soak and go down and hem afterwards.

any suggestions?

I'm between 5'8" and 5'9" so I'm thinking an inseam around 34"-ish would be ideal. maybe 33. I dunno.

hem them after you soak them so after all the shrinkage is out you can get the true length that you want. that's what i did to my 4001's and f310's. i still haven't brought my bsp's in for a hem because i only cold soaked em so maybe after the hoat soak, i'll bring em in to SE for a cut

Its really up to you, if you'd rather get it out of the way I'd say hem them 2.5" longer than what you want. The shrinkage is pretty uniform. Mine lost 2.5" after a hot soak on the dot. Some people lost ~3". Shrinkage measurements on SE are pretty accurate give or take.

On the other hand, I'm around 5'10 with no hem and the stacking is pretty damn crazy (really long)... I almost wish I hemmed them a little but I'm rocking the triple cuff for now. Basically, its all up to you man!

danisfake is right. there really isn't much deviation from about 2.5"~3" in shrinking. even if there is, it's so little of a difference that it won't matter.

my personal recommendation is..

bsps fit better when they're sagged, so take that into consideration when deciding on inseam length.

yeah i agree with you all, the stacking looks really nice on the bsp's since the leg opening isn't ass wide as the other fits of flatheads

Hemming before soaking will give more pronounced roping at the hem. Plus, if you want them chainstitched and don't conveniently live near a Union Special, it saves you the hassle of sending the jeans back to SE or wherever. I finally found a place to chainstitch my 1001's, so once I get them back from hemming they should be getting a soak.

FYI, I'm also 5'9" and I had them hemmed to 32.5" pre-soak, aiming for a 30-30.5" inseam post-soak for a nice break. For stacks, I'd go with a 32" inseam post-soak, so ~34" pre-soak sounds about right.

Hi everyone!

Been rocking my flathead 1001 for 3 months. i need to get my jeans hemmed. I live in asia and there sending the jeans out just for hemming is a hassle and not an option for me.

I have read threads on chain stitching and i came down to two options,

1) get a local tailor to get a normal hem

2) i have heard that some tailors are able to cut the pants and sew back the original bottoms

for the second option, will it affect the stacks or looks? because im only 5'7" and the jeans inseam in 36". way too long for me. been rocking them stacking and cuff with stacks. but as you know, the 1001 leg opening is ass wide.

any advice?

Hemming before soaking will give more pronounced roping at the hem. Plus, if you want them chainstitched and don't conveniently live near a Union Special, it saves you the hassle of sending the jeans back to SE or wherever. I finally found a place to chainstitch my 1001's, so once I get them back from hemming they should be getting a soak.

FYI, I'm also 5'9" and I had them hemmed to 32.5" pre-soak, aiming for a 30-30.5" inseam post-soak for a nice break. For stacks, I'd go with a 32" inseam post-soak, so ~34" pre-soak sounds about right.

does the initial soak make a significant difference in the overall roping I'll have over time? or is it just kind a head start?

EDIT: It sure feels like I'm overthinking this. do you guys agree?