ETERNAL 811 Contest 10/10/10 - 12/12/12

beatle

sweet, might have to pick these up but I've read that the fit is not so forgiving for people with skinny legs and no butt (hipflare!)

If you have a decent pain threshold, sizing down does help to alleviate some of the hip flare. I don't really have too much on mine.

To move this from the eternal thread:

honestly i'm just disappointed the contest pair isn't that different from the 811(BG). I'm the first one to admit that I'm a sucker for the exotic denim, and I'd gladly shell out more money for something extra crazy.

I know that's not the point of a contest, but I guess I just kind of hoped that we'd be able to push eternal (a brand with decidedly few fabric/cut offerings) to be a little more experimental/adventurous. People may claim that eternal is somewhat under-represented on this board but there are quite a few graily pairs (ipkus) out there so this is cut/denim combo is hardly unexplored territory.

I'm sure it'll turn out great though.

+1 to this...I am also a little disappointed that these aren't materially different from the 811BG. I was hoping this contest was something I could justify participating in. I don't mind spending the extra cash to get something really special and different.

Some comparisons were drawn to the SE collabs and how much more expensive they are. The biggest factor in that, as mentioned, is the free shipping worldwide, as well as the fact that they are usually substantial modifications to an original design. With an SE collab, you usually have a new thick or exotic leather patch, new cut, new pocket bags, new thread and often times, even a new denim. These projects become something truly unique and unmatched to anything available before. In the case of this contest, If you have two people standing next to eachother, one wearing the 811BG and the other wearing the contest jean, you couldn't tell the difference aside from a few small letters on the patch.

I'm not trying to hate here. I appreciate the hard work that goes in to making a contest happen, I just wish we could have gotten something truly unique and interesting out of Eternal. If they don't want to budge, then fuck 'em, deal with someone who will. Why not support a company that is willing to create something new and get some exposure?

These projects become something truly unique and unmatched to anything available before. In the case of this contest, If you have two people standing next to eachother, one wearing the 811BG and the other wearing the contest jean, you couldn't tell the difference aside from a few small letters on the patch.

I agree with you to some extent raou duke, these contest jeans doesnt really set us apart from the kid down the block who owns a regular pair.I was hoping for some donut buttons and customised rivets... But, the cut and denim is not something i'd want to change... I guess it's because i dont own a pair of eternals... might be a different story if you already own a pair of 811s..

I'm not trying to hate here. I appreciate the hard work that goes in to making a contest happen, I just wish we could have gotten something truly unique and interesting out of Eternal.

But the whole fucking point of this contest was to use the standard 811 cut and denim. That was the plan when Beatle announced this last year, been the plan all along. Why are people acting so surprised suddenly that it's not different cut or denim?

If they don't want to budge, then fuck 'em, deal with someone who will. Why not support a company that is willing to create something new and get some exposure?

No no, if you're not happy with the contest pair, then fuck you, go find and deal with a company that will listen to your every desire to create something new and organize your own contest.

Don't mean to pick on you personally man, plenty of others bitchin up this thread, but jesus fucking christ.

But the whole fucking point of this contest was to use the standard 811 cut and denim. That was the plan when Beatle announced this last year, been the plan all along. Why are people acting so surprised suddenly that it's not different cut or denim?

No no, if you're not happy with the contest pair, then fuck you, go find and deal with a company that will listen to your every desire to create something new and organize your own contest.

Don't mean to pick on you personally man, plenty of others bitchin up this thread, but jesus fucking christ.

You need to chill out man. You are getting a little too offended over a bit of discussion.

I'm not saying that this contest had to have everything that I mentioned. I made the comment because a comparison was drawn between the expected price of these jeans and the price of a self edge collab. All I was doing was listing the things that make the SE collab more expensive. I follow the Eternal thread and I realize that the contest was for the original cut and denim. Beyond that, there is still a lot you could work with.

i love drama! forreal though, eternal is one of the most hardcore all okayama companies out there, if they don't want to change certain details, then that's their right. for some reason people are speaking as though eternal was going out of business, and they beat down gordon's door to collaborate on a last-ditch effort to keep their doors open. we are NOT doing eternal a real solid by buying these jeans. remember a few years back you couldn't even get a pair of 811s here in the states. we have become so damn denim spoiled(via the hard work of gordon, kiya, and others) that we forget that it's a priviledge to wear a pair of eternals. we all wear uber expensive denims anyway and the average cost is about 300 beans so the price is not even a discussion. if you can't pay to play then beg like me;). i'm gonna save for these. i want the new resolutes, but these are so tempting...

I want a custom pair of jeans made out of raw Japanese denim loomed by the finest virgins in the land. I want custom buttons and rivets with a pic of me getting dome from the same virgins that loomed the denim. And the cut should incorporate Klein bottle leg taper so my friends will bug the fuck out. And the leather patch should be digital, with a clock or a singing Kanye gif or some shit built in. Oh, and I only want to pay $50... MAX.

I have to repeat myself

the point is - an Eternal 811 contest . I said that 5 months ago - no changes in the cut and denim. Both are golden - and what this contest is all about is seeing the potential these have.

The custom details to me are very valuable - if people don't agree - they don't need to be in on this. Simple as that. Have you ever tried to talk any major Japanese denim company into changing even the slightest thing about one of their best selling jeans ? I don't think so - and if , not for 100 pairs.

Plus - imagine the price discussion for a pair with a custom cut. Making the pattern and sample alone would've upped the price so much that instead of being excited about the new pair 200 guys would have started complaining about Gordon ripping us off and shit.

Whilst it is nice to organize a contest like this - you always have to be aware of price and participant ratio. No way can you please everyone - but we've tried to create a special 811 that will still be affordable.

Everyone who thinks they can work out better deals - just do it and impress the sufu crowd.

no one can do it better than you beatle you know that and everyone knows that all i am saying is how i feel and think about this.. straight shit

nope, that's not about straight shit.

The point is , there will always be some people that first start complaining about a price - that hasn't even been announced yet.

From there they go to asking for special denim, without even knowing how many rolls of fabric one would have to buy in order to get a green light.

Not to mention that besides being stuck with a massive number of jeans those would easily retail at around $350 - so then they go and complain about that fucking price again.

I seriously mean it - before complaining and whining- go ahead and find a Japanese denim brand and get them to make a limited pair. Just do it.

As any other contest nobody is required to sign up for this - you don't like - you don't do it. Easy as that.

To tell you the truth, the contest pair came out way better then I was expecting. Way more customizations to enjoy and for those of us that have never had Eternals, really f@#king awesome jean to pop our Eternal cherry, and for those of you who already have Eternals, still a f@#king sweet jean. I bet when both Beats and Gordon undertook this challenge, they weren't expecting to be fired upon with .50 caliber sniper rifles. I thank them for all their hard work. I can't wait to pre-order mine and kick your asses (just a tiny bit of friendly competitive spirit) and don't bitch to me when you realize how wicked this jean was and that you really wished you copped...

oh yeah,i think the hairiness comes from unsinged denim. they just don't burn the little hairs off. correct me if wrong...

Singeing is only part of it. Denim has different grades of "hairiness", that doesn't mean that because one type of denim is slightly less hairy than another that it was only partially singed.

Short cotton fiber denim will TYPICALLY be hairier than longer fiber denim and IN GENERAL longer fibers are better to work with because they hold together better and will fray less over time.

At least that is the impression I was given when I got my masters in cotton growing and my doctorate in textile manufacturing.:D

Dear SuFu,

Stop being so overprivileged and ungrateful.

beatle shouldn't be defending shit. It's pretty obvious that everyone shitting a brick about the contest jeans don't have the balls to commit to a two year-two month contest anyway.

Agreed, Eternal 811 owners will be hard pressed to convince themselves to buy a pair (except those who need a pair to replace their thrashed ones); can't blame them since these jeans can endure 2 years of shitkicking, as this contest will prove.

But for any denimhead who has yet to experience Eternal denim, and the 811 cut this is a sweet offering. Both the denim and the cut are essential, and details like the half lined back pockets and indigo pocket bags are subtle and well thought out.

Take it or leave it.

P.S. Since when did SuFu bitch about spending $300 on jeans?

Singeing is only part of it. Denim has different grades of "hairiness", that doesn't mean that because one type of denim is slightly less hairy than another that it was only partially singed.

Short cotton fiber denim will TYPICALLY be hairier than longer fiber denim and IN GENERAL longer fibers are better to work with because they hold together better and will fray less over time.

At least that is the impression I was given when I got my masters in cotton growing and my doctorate in textile manufacturing.:D

I thought you had a PhD in Denimology!

I have talked to a fair few people people about this: Since the denim/sizes "will" be the same as the 811BG and looking at the BiG website, by correlating the results of the O/W and the RAW, it is safe to assume that the waist will shrink 2", rise 1", inseam 3", and most other measurements 0.75" with a really hot soak, maybe two? It seems most people suggest Eternals don't stretch much either, maximum 1"?

Now my original thought (since when measuring all my current well fitting jeans BiG style, I am roughly a 34" waist) I was going to buy a tagged 34, since it starts as a 35" pre-soak, shrinks to a 33" and I would stretch it out to a 34". BUT, some people suggested to me that they can stretch back out to their pre-soak measurement? Because in that case, I would buy a tagged 33" as it would stretch out to the pre-soak measurement which is my waist size (34"). Any help would be much appreciated.

not with just a soak. you will need to hot hot hot wash them. maybe 2-3 times to get full shrink.

some people machine dry, some people hang dry. TBH, i don't think it really matters. FWIW, eternal hang dries their O/W.

edit: get TTS. they won't stretch that much, unless you're fatter than the size specified.

I thought you had a PhD in Denimology!

That too, but seriously, I stopped keeping track after I received an honorary PhD in steez from Marlon Brando.

I have talked to a fair few people people about this: Since the denim/sizes "will" be the same as the 811BG and looking at the BiG website, by correlating the results of the O/W and the RAW, it is safe to assume that the waist will shrink 2", rise 1", inseam 3", and most other measurements 0.75" with a really hot soak, maybe two? It seems most people suggest Eternals don't stretch much either, maximum 1"?

Now my original thought (since when measuring all my current well fitting jeans BiG style, I am roughly a 34" waist) I was going to buy a tagged 34, since it starts as a 35" pre-soak, shrinks to a 33" and I would stretch it out to a 34". BUT, some people suggested to me that they can stretch back out to their pre-soak measurement? Because in that case, I would buy a tagged 33" as it would stretch out to the pre-soak measurement which is my waist size (34"). Any help would be much appreciated.

I personally wear a size 33 811BG and my actual waist ranges from 34" to 35". You should be able to get the waist to 34" if you need to. Just make sure that the rest of the measurements will fit you, especially the thighs.

And the cut should incorporate Klein bottle leg taper so my friends will bug the fuck out. And the leather patch should be digital, with a clock or a singing Kanye gif or some shit built in. Oh, and I only want to pay $50... MAX.

But you're okay with the hip-flare then, I take it?

edit: get TTS. they won't stretch that much, unless you're fatter than the size specified.

I personally wear a size 33 811BG and my actual waist ranges from 34" to 35". You should be able to get the waist to 34" if you need to. Just make sure that the rest of the measurements will fit you, especially the thighs.

Agreed on both statements. TTS worked great for me with a small bit of room to spare. They'll stretch as much as you need (within reason), but these aren't really jeans to downsize on.

Beatle - if you mentioned this before, forgive me, but what is the drill going to be for actually letting Gordon know we're participating? Just pre-order the jeans once he posts them?

Thanks Raoul. The thighs on a O/W 33 are still plenty big enough for me, let alone the 34. I just don't want a painfully super tight waist. Decisions...

Thanks Raoul. The thighs on a O/W 33 are still plenty big enough for me, let alone the 34. I just don't want a painfully super tight waist. Decisions...

Just put something that is 34" in the waist when you are soaking and you'll be fine. No pain required there.