motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

ya man ive been checkin up on craigslist...

Right now theres a couple on there... One for 3 flat from a dealer, used... but its that neon green shit

And one for 3200 in Long Beach, but its been dropped... but atleast its black.. which prolly has better resell value

Honestly though, I dont even have my license and my permit expired last month, not that its a big deal to get it again... but I've had a couple grand saved up for a while now and been thinking bout dropping it on a bike instead of traveling

You should really take the MSF course, they teach you the fundamentals and you get a bike to ride without having to worry about dropping it or having to practice a on friends bike thats too big or whatever. Plus if you take the MSF course the 2 tests you take are easy (written and road). They also waive the DMV test which is alot harder than at the MSF course. Are you over 21? If not, you're required to take the MSF to get a license if your under 21.

Wow, that's on some Blade Runner tip shit..

Not my style, but really nice nonetheless..

You should really take the MSF course, they teach you the fundamentals and you get a bike to ride without having to worry about dropping it or having to practice a on friends bike thats too big or whatever. Plus if you take the MSF course the 2 tests you take are easy (written and road). They also waive the DMV test which is alot harder than at the MSF course. Are you over 21? If not, you're required to take the MSF to get a license if your under 21.

ya that was the plan

I wish I would've gotten it over with last year tho... I turned 21 in May :/

So now its like double the price for the course

I just went through this entire thread and there are a lot of cool bikes and scooters. I would like to have a street legal bike again some day. Right now I have a 2003 R6 but it's only a track bike. Not really a SuFu type ride but it's all I got right now...

Here are some pics from a track day at WSIR (I need to contact the photog and buy that riding shot):

CIMG0822-1.jpg

expman.jpg

And just for fun:

karis_pictures_269.jpg

what do you guys think about a 78 Honda CB750 for 1500 firm?

25xxx miles

I just got off the phone with the owner and he said the only problem he has with it is the oil line gasket is leaking a little oil. According to him it's a simple fix, but I'm a new rider and know nothing about it. I'm willing to put in the time and work to fix it myself if it's not too much for a n00b, plus it might help me learn a little about the bike in the process.

Heres a pic ::

3n83o33p1ZZZZZZZZZ97v9c2f99c1402d1e3d.jpg

Ive been looking at CBs and it seems like its a pretty good price if the condition is fair enough. I really like the look of it too as Im starting to like Cafe racers and was considering going in the route its already in, so its kind of saving me a lot of money in the aesthetics department.

25xxx miles

I just got off the phone with the owner and he said the only problem he has with it is the oil line gasket is leaking a little oil. According to him it's a simple fix, but I'm a new rider and know nothing about it. I'm willing to put in the time and work to fix it myself if it's not too much for a n00b, plus it might help me learn a little about the bike in the process.

Ive been looking at CBs and it seems like its a pretty good price if the condition is fair enough. I really like the look of it too as Im starting to like Cafe racers and was considering going in the route its already in, so its kind of saving me a lot of money in the aesthetics department.

If you don't know much about bikes, my advice is to take it to a reputable shop and get them to do a full inspection in it. Last thing you want to do is bite off more than you can (or want to) chew. IMO, it'd be the first and most critical step in evaluating a project bike.

Have you researched the cost and accessibility of parts for the bike?

Best of luck and keep us posted!

25xxx miles

It's an inline4 yeah? For a beginner I would recommend something with a parallel twin or V-twin because those engines have much more linear power delivery. If the shop says everything checks out that sounds like a fair price though.

Also,

IMG_0076.jpg

Some great talk in here! I'm about 3 weeks into a CB160 project:

After bringing her home and a wash:

3736248473_37c6ff5041.jpg

3737036898_bc1d5d9a5a.jpg

Had to free (beat out) the pistons that were seized in their bores. Engine is about to be dropped off to have the bores cleaned up.

How it looked about 2 days ago:

3777384909_ba366522c1.jpg

It's an inline4 yeah? For a beginner I would recommend something with a parallel twin or V-twin because those engines have much more linear power delivery. If the shop says everything checks out that sounds like a fair price though.

Also,

IMG_0076.jpg

^^ that a hornet's nest??

as for going for a twin vs. a four, for something that's not going to have a shit load of power, i don't think it matters as much. if you were getting late 90's (or newer) sportbike as your first bike then i'd agree and recommend a twin. but since you're primarily using it to cruise / commute, the cb's 4 should be more than acceptable in terms of power delivery characteristics.

quick question - will riding on the freeway mess up my bike ? Im still in the break in period I have like 450 miles on atm but i dont have a car anymore...

depends on which school of thought you subscribe to for breaking in engines. i typically keep it to 60% of my redline for the first 50 miles, then up to 75% of redline until 200 miles. then i dump the oil (still using non-synthetic) and ride the piss out of it. i change the oil again at 1K miles to synthetic and forget about it.

during my first 200 miles i do ride on the freeway but vary my RPMs constantly - you can do this by shifting gears and still maintain a safe and consistent freeway speed.

have you changed your oil and filter yet?

no I haven't changed oil yet im at 525ish now, the manual says to change at 600. Ill try to get it done this week.

Its kind of impossible to vary rpms on my ninja 250 since its like already at 10k rpm in 6th and probably redline at 5th. Idk, a lot of people have a lot of opinions on the break in period but im kind of stuck right now because I have no other car. Im just trying to keep it under 6k rpm and vary rpms in the city but I have no other choice on the highways...

^^ that a hornet's nest??

I'm thinking wasp, it wasn't big enough or papery enough. It was more apache/Tatooine like.

Cracked it open, there were six larvae all squirming about. All of whom looked like they'd be killer fishing bait, but I killed most of them. It also left me horrified of moma was coming back and being piiiiised.

larvae.jpg

Whatever it was, it was feeding spiders to it's bebes.

spiderfood.jpg

Also, fuck carburetors and their vacuum leaks, I hate this shit.

Had to free (beat out) the pistons that were seized in their bores. Engine is about to be dropped off to have the bores cleaned up.

Sick, keep us updated with your porject.

I'm getting my first bike this weekend.

Picture1-2.png

68 cb450

can't wait to begin working on it

Sick, keep us updated with your porject.

I'm getting my first bike this weekend.

Picture1-2.png

68 cb450

can't wait to begin working on it

Anybody in LA and working on a project bike that wouldn't mind having a completely inexperienced set of hands around to help out and learn?

Anybody in LA and working on a project bike that wouldn't mind having a completely inexperienced set of hands around to help out and learn?

no I haven't changed oil yet im at 525ish now, the manual says to change at 600. Ill try to get it done this week.

Its kind of impossible to vary rpms on my ninja 250 since its like already at 10k rpm in 6th and probably redline at 5th. Idk, a lot of people have a lot of opinions on the break in period but im kind of stuck right now because I have no other car. Im just trying to keep it under 6k rpm and vary rpms in the city but I have no other choice on the highways...

Well, since you're already at 500+, just change the oil and ride it. I wouldn't worry about it anymore. Enjoy the bike.

Easy solution: wear kneepads. haha

Seriously though, I was a little nervous before my classes. But once I got used to the clutch and everything, it was pretty simple.

Nice 160! Does he have any plans for it??

Not sure. I'll have to ask him. I'm also gonna ask him if I could ride it a bit. lol I haven't rode a bike since my MSF course a month ago. Tried to on my brother's GSXR 600 but couldn't.