motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

You could get a Bonny for around $4-5000 before shipping and a Springer for around $8-9000 before shipping.

Look in the more rural areas of America and you'll get better deals.

hey DP you know a website where i can purchase online?

Denim Phenom, i completely agree.

The exhaust ruins the look of the bike, they should have chopped and taped it short and stubby.

You'd melt your rear brake boot and lever. And we all know how important the rear break is to people who ride these kinds of bikes. Not to mention blast an incredible amount of noise back up at your ears. Stupid.

Relax. I just posted it to show some cool styling and design. It's obviously not a practical bike, although most custom bikes aren't. And I think it's quite a bit more practical then a chopper. I've been looking for some ideas to build a triumph 750. I found this place where you can get brand new 750's for a couple grand.

I wanna buy a motorcycle in a few years that'll take me across the US. I want one with a good back carriage, carry some shit. What model should I aspire to, plus how much dollars to put away.

That's way to vague. There's a ton of bikes you can go across a country on at various price points. I would do it on something like this though. They're about 15 grand new.

BMWR1200GSAdventure061.jpg

I wanna buy a motorcycle in a few years that'll take me across the US. I want one with a good back carriage, carry some shit. What model should I aspire to, plus how much dollars to put away.

put it in a duffel bag and tie it to a sissy bar.

And I think it's quite a bit more practical then a chopper.

no.

I want one of these. 16 grand from Brass Balls. But I'm sure you can build this yourself for 10, and even less with a used motor and tranny.

3443875427_6508dd7c94.jpg

yo fuck prebuilt bikes.

fuck 16 grand for a prebuilt bike.

and fuck yuppies buying prebuilt bikes for 16 grand thinking theyre badasses.

Ha your an idiot. I don't claim to be a badass. I've been riding bikes my whole life, well since I was 6. I raced motocross for years. I got my motorcycle license and a bike weeks after getting my car endorsement. I road race and race supermoto. I don't claim to be some motorcycle stud but I bet I have more experience and am more of a motorcyclist then a lot of people posting on here. I'm not a mechanical genius and have never built a bike before. I'm sure it's doable but having someone who know's how to build bikes and does it for a living is worth a price to me. I definitely have respect for people that build their own stuff but I don't know if I'm capable of it and it's pricey to take the chance. I don't have to try and be a badass by saying I built my own bike. Your the complete opposite of what motorcycling is about by bashing people for being into pre-built stuff. As long as your on a bike and on the road your cool in my book, doesn't matter what your on.

Ha your an idiot. I don't claim to be a badass. I've been riding bikes my whole life, well since I was 6. I raced motocross for years. I got my motorcycle license and a bike weeks after getting my car endorsement. I road race and race supermoto. I don't claim to be some motorcycle stud but I bet I have more experience and am more of a motorcyclist then a lot of people posting on here. I'm not a mechanical genius and have never built a bike before. I'm sure it's doable but having someone who know's how to build bikes and does it for a living is worth a price to me. I definitely have respect for people that build their own stuff but I don't know if I'm capable of it and it's pricey to take the chance. I don't have to try and be a badass by saying I built my own bike. Your the complete opposite of what motorcycling is about by bashing people for being into pre-built stuff. As long as your on a bike and on the road your cool in my book, doesn't matter what your on.

ha. i wasnt talking about you dumbass. unless youre a yuppie that buys prebuilt choppers for 16 grand and think youre badass.

and i didnt bother reading your autobiography. good job wasting energy.

ha. i wasnt talking about you dumbass. unless youre a yuppie that buys prebuilt choppers for 16 grand and think youre badass.

and i didnt bother reading your autobiography. good job wasting energy.

I'm the one that posted that bike up and have been considering getting so it was about me. And like I said I've been riding for as long as I can remember and I'm certainly not a yuppie.

I'm trying to get a hold of a 70s Japanese standard with a smaller engine to learn to ride/work on (and so I don't spend a shit-ton of money), and I've been told to check out Honda CBs, Yamaha RDs, etc.

I was just wondering if there was anything else in that vein, maybe from a lesser known brand, that I haven't heard of or something.

So uh, any recommendations?

Also, any must-have shop books? My uncle gave me some Haynes manuals a while ago, so I think I have those bases covered, but some of it is a bit over my head.

the few yamaha RDs i've run into always have problems with overheating but otherwise, they're very nice to ride when you're not filtering traffic.

i like honda CBs and have owned two. very fun bikes and the community for it is still very strong. look around on craigslist for what you want.

and be prepared for headaches if you plan on trying to learn about mechanics from anything pre-2000. the one greatest piece of advice i got about 60s-70s bikes: "don't go looking for problems because you will find them". ride it and enjoy it.