Evisu is still loved!

benzak

"All other things equal"

Not sure why you posted this, since I said the "dyeing method" would play more of a factor. In other words, I don't believe the weight or softness of a jean plays a factor in it how it fades; regardless if I consider "all other things equal." And if everything were equal, you'd still have to measure how the jeans were worn by their owner, and that would be very difficult.

edit:

But let me go by your logic. I own a pair of Prps, which utilize zimbabwean cotton, organic vegetable dye and are light weight; the jeans are soft

I have a pair of heavier, coarser, Evisu d67.

I've given them both the same treatment; a soak, one wash and about 8 months wear ( although the prps might have gotten slightly longer wear).

The Evisu's look barely faded and only have wear in certain in areas (the crotch and the back stress points), but the Prps have readily visible fading in numerous areas; plus the crotch is starting to tear.

Now, I'm not sure what you mean by "all things equal"....Does that mean the denim is the same (in that case wouldn't both jeans be "soft", since starch usually stiffens jeans), they use the same dye or that they are completely designed the same and one is simply coarser? Cause if you mean all is the same, except coarseness and no starch (plenty of jeans get soft after a rinse), then all things still wouldn't be entirely equal.

"All other things equal"

So is it only me to to think that no.1 is easier to fade and to get the whiskers creases combs etc to be more defined compare it to no.2? I wear my no.2 loose, eventhough this is also a factor, but considering on how long ive been wearing my no.2 compare it to my no.1, i feel that my no.2 is way way way harder to fade and looked worn out.

and also, apart from being unsanforized and sanforized, what makes no.1 differ to no.2 and deluxe to make it hairy?

ed, this is what happened to my no1 hahaha :P

no1evi.jpg

before and after hot soak.. i think the water might be too hot, although i only soaked it for like 20min or less. i left it hang to dry and left for the beach for 4 days. came back and found the label/patch to be rock-hard and brittle.. as a result, it broke into two. i did tried to oil it again after.. but its not working. :D

i guess from now on, its only luke warm soak for me on evis.. all my other jeans have no problem with hot soak though..

I own two pairs of the SAME jeans.

One I hot soak in a small bucket as usual, they lose as little starch as possible. They stand up after drying and all that.

The other pair I hot soak, draining the starch and water away as I go, leaving them with far less starch/stiffness. No additional impact to the indigo.

I wear them on alternate days, and they get the same treatment.

But didn't you say "all things equal"? We already established that jeans with more starch are inclined to be stiffer, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll fade quicker; it simply means they may be more prone to abrasion.

Is it unreasonable to assume that the stiffer pair, with stiffer folds and harder creases will be abraded more? Sharper whiskers, honeycombs, maybe those little tears in the honeycombs?

The softer pair will fold and move more easily, making the wear less acute.

Jeans can have numerous abrasions without necessarily being helluva faded. Just go find some pics of a pair of 45rpm Jomons for proof.

Yeah these are diff fabric to his other Evisus, but he also posited that the softness could be contributing to their slower fading.

Actually, he said he was not sure.

I think that makes perfect sense, and even put up reasons why it would be so.

You say "No, it's not" but can't think of any reason why not.

You've shown me nothing, but I've stated, several times, why I think softness does not play a major factor. You're asking me to take your assumption, without proof, that softer jeans will fade "slower" than stiffer, coarser pairs.

Also, I could've sworn I stated several reasons in my comprehensive/ previous post.

I think he means the color is more resilient. The denim is softer, so less abrasion. Plus they start out lighter I think, which would make the first signs of fading less obvious

Yeah, that was my meaning...I can see the fading on the jeans, but it's far from obvious and it would probably be a waste of time trying to post pics at this stage as not much will be visible. I'll try and take some at the weekend though, to show you what I mean...

My wearing them loose will also be a major factor in the relative fading to Lot 2000.

I'm not sure softer denim is less prone to abrasion than heavier denim. However, starched denim, although it varies, makes denim more susceptible to abrasion

If you're wearing your jeans hard, and without soaking them to remove as much of the starch as possible, then you're potentially setting yourself up for problems with combage and the whiskering - they'll develop creases that might not look entirely natural due to the presence of starch in the fabric.

Also, it may not be too good for the longevity of the denim, wearing them without soaking...

So is it only me to to think that no.1 is easier to fade and to get the whiskers creases combs etc to be more defined compare it to no.2? I wear my no.2 loose, eventhough this is also a factor, but considering on how long ive been wearing my no.2 compare it to my no.1, i feel that my no.2 is way way way harder to fade and looked worn out.

and also, apart from being unsanforized and sanforized, what makes no.1 differ to no.2 and deluxe to make it hairy?

You comparing Japanese No.1 and 2 here? I think that the way in which they're being worn is more of a factor, as above. Look at the difference in how Lot 2000 fades in comparison to Lot 2001, even when they're both made from the same denim.

The hairiness factor is, I believe, down to the length of the cotton fibres used. Japanese No.2 can be quite hairy as well...There are plenty of people in this forum who should be able to give you a far more comprehensive explanation than I though, so I'd see what they have to say.

ed, this is what happened to my no1 hahaha :P

no1evi.jpg

before and after hot soak.. i think the water might be too hot, although i only soaked it for like 20min or less. i left it hang to dry and left for the beach for 4 days. came back and found the label/patch to be rock-hard and brittle.. as a result, it broke into two. i did tried to oil it again after.. but its not working. :D

i guess from now on, its only luke warm soak for me on evis.. all my other jeans have no problem with hot soak though..

Did you oil the patch before soaking as well?

Firstly, slow down. Work on your reading comprehension. You are arguing points that were never disputed.
What in the world are you talking about?

I never argued that 'dying method' wasn't the most important part. I said "all other things equal" softness will have an impact, which you still don't understand.

What part of "I don't believe the weight or softness of a jean plays a factor in it how it fades; regardless if I consider "all other things equal."

Do you fail to comprehend/fathom?

This goes back to 6th grade science experiments, manipulating variables and such.
Yeeeeaahhhhh.......

As for my 'experiment', those hypothetical jeans DO have 'all other things equal' except for the amount of starch in them, hence one is stiffer. Being more 'prone to abrasion' (which you agree on) will make those abraded areas fade faster. This you stated in your own first post on the subject.

The SOFTER pair... will likely lag behind.

How ridiculous. The initial point was the softness of the denim, since Crash never gave any indication whether he had washed his jeans or not. Furthermore, by posting that, I'm certain we all concluded that the jeans were simply softer than most; not because they were not starched. It was not until I commented on the fact that starch makes jeans more susceptible to abrasion and questioned you that you then started commenting on how "starched" jeans fade quicker due to abrasion. Even more silly is that some jeans actually get stiffer after being thoroughly soaked.
Following that, I agree with CTB that the softness is 'part' of why they are not showing their fadez as fast as expected.
How ironic, since the original jeans that he was comparing them to, the No. 1 2000 cut, which has been washed a good amount, are more than likely, by your own logic, softer jeans. Yet have more defined creasing, have needed a crotch repair and generally look more worn. This is particularly interesting when I look at my PRPs, which clearly (by your own logic) possess more starch; not mention to more wear, but have less defined fades......Amusing

"...Posited that the softness could be contrubuting..." means that he thinks so, but he's not sure. You seem to think you were correcting me on that one...

Uh, I did correct you on that one, since, by posting that, you assume that proves your conclusion. You do realize that, right?
Your hypothetical of a pair of washed organic indigo, zimbabwe cotton PRPS vs D87's illustrates nothing.
In other words, you're conducting your own little straw man argument, since your original point of "softer" jeans fading slower was put into question by me.

We get it.

And how were the Jomon's a red herring? Please elaborate.

No need to elaborate. I've chopped my posts cuz attempting to educate you is commandeering the thread.

The topic is "Is Evisu still loved?"

My answer is yes.

I will now contribute my only Evisu picture. I cried when I sold them, and often dream of a higher-rised sibling I might meet someday.

I'm sure this pic is already in the thread somewhere... Another user here is wearing them now, can't remember who.

IMGP0740.jpg

No need to elaborate. I've chopped my posts cuz attempting to educate you is commandeering the thread.

Yes, certainly.......

before and after hot soak.. i think the water might be too hot, although i only soaked it for like 20min or less. i left it hang to dry and left for the beach for 4 days. came back and found the label/patch to be rock-hard and brittle.. as a result, it broke into two. i did tried to oil it again after.. but its not working.

It's always interesting, because Japanese Evisu patches seem to enjoy doing this. I don't think I've ever seen another jean have a "burnt to a crisp " patch. But then again, I may not be looking hard enough.

Scorched/jerkey patches are beautiful.

Don't worry about your stuff so much!

hehe it look pretty cool.. just that its always poking my waist with its hard edges :P

also the selvage is kinda different from my other jeans..

P1030681.jpg

so far i like the fit.. fabric is good and more comfy than my sammy 21oz.. so yes, i would say evisu is still loved ;)

The plain pocket 2001's have arrived and are awesome! I have just started back at uni and have had no time to get some nice shots, but will do over the weekend when the gf is here! However, here are some more shots of 0041. These have been washed a few times now and have been worn on and off for a little over 8 years...

fit

img3986hm5.jpg

img3996ky7.jpg

good representation of true colour

img3973oj3.jpg

I'm not too keen on the Evisu making jeans that fade faster; I hope that isn't the case.

I really doubt it is; I just remember reading on here a long time ago that after SDA and Eternal the hardest to fade were Evisu's. I'm also wearing them tighter than the jeans I've worn so far so that could have something to do with it.

More pics of worn denim, please...

Calvin, can you show us the wear on the jeans mentioned in your last post?

I will post some pics tomorrow. This thread really needs some worn denim pics.

all the bullshit arguing makes this thread seem like some lame ass dior shit or something, come on guys, just wear the fucking things and if they fade, they fade, if they dont, they dont. who gives a fuck.

Apart from arguing, i believe everyone here is working to their hardest to break their pairs. I believe all the arguments were related to the thread title, whether evisu is still loved, and this thread is also meant for everyone to share their knowledge about evisu. If you really cant enjoy the discussions and dont give a fuck, then you are just starting a fire against everyone here.

theard needs pic's.....

DSC05847.jpg

blueberrie blue sarting to come through, also got some chinese aubergine crap on them so gonna spot clean later

DSC05848.jpg

though i'd throw some non evisu pics also

DSC05623.jpg

DSC05775.jpg

been staying at the 11th floor cool views etc.

my wife says parents give kids died chicks to play with for a few days..lol crazy