australia :: general

TTT

just drove for over 2 hours to get the sunglasses.. traffic was horrid it would normally take 30 minutes.

CBF waiting another 5 days for them to deliver it

Pretty impressed. They are what i expected but its hard to tell right now.

The last time there was a public holiday (Australia Day) my shit got lost in the mail. If my bbs shirt gets lost this coming public holiday I will cut fucking sick at these shit house postal bastards. Haha pre-venting.

Well, enjoy your long weekend everybody.

I will pass those too Chin..

isn't like.. there's a pair of size 6 tornado boots in the classified? great boots.. guess not in a popular size.. and consider those boots seems to be from EM, (which prolly retailed 2.5k).. and just minor problem on the zips.. : \

S-A's haul making me so jealous! those red derbies!

I like the ccp funnel collar coat, but.. I just dont love it.. I still think the coat look very unflattering... : \

just drove for over 2 hours to get the sunglasses.. traffic was horrid it would normally take 30 minutes.

CBF waiting another 5 days for them to deliver it

Pretty impressed. They are what i expected but its hard to tell right now.

J, fit piccccccccccccccccccc

true but the two streams of labels that CI stock look incredibly out of place next to each other haha.

OH btw, i was told not long ago that there were 2 separate buyers in CI, hence, 2 different stream.. doesn't make sense for the store as an entity, but ah oh well, bipolar.

OH btw, i was told not long ago that there were 2 separate buyers in CI, hence, 2 different stream.. doesn't make sense for the store as an entity, but ah oh well, bipolar.

pretty sure eloise and her husband are in charge of the menswear buying, who also bring in VA,IS and Devoa.She is a lovely woman,never seen anyone else wearing CDG as well as she does.

btw guys, any anecdotes for someone who wants to make fashion retail a career?

bear with me but I've a cousin who is currently doing retail for Politix and he seems pretty keen on making fashion a career, I was kind of taken aback since I feel dedicating your life to fashion retail when your exposure to labels only goes from Politix to Louis Vuitton is kind of a bad thing.

I'm trying to get him to expand his horizons by introducing him to Julius and Rick Owens and stores like Eastern Market but I dunno, should I just shut up and leave him be? It almost feels like I have a moral obligation to do something here! Especially when he gave me a Politix shirt for a gift, I actually felt bad/sorry for him when I saw it, that and the time he dropped good money on a pair of Prada loafers with the stripes. >_>

you cannot change someone, unless they them-self want to change. with that being said, the easiest way to make someone change is to make them believe the change was their idea, rather than yours. Please don't misconstrued what i have said as manipulation.

perhaps I should've been clearer with my post...

I was just wondering if any of you guys are in the local fashion industry and have some anecdotes about how you started out or perhaps you know, managed to carve out a dream niche for yourselves here in Australia.

This isn't brand championing in the sense that I would rather see my cousin repping julius/ccp/ro than politix. If he wants to chase his dreams in fashion retail that's fine, but being in a mass market label in a local industry that pushes the same old bland stuff year after year I'm just worried that he might burn out down the road.

Sure fashion is huge, but when he excitedly tells me what he likes about the job is how he once made a guy who came into the store wanting basic tees leave with a whole suit on layby, well, I do get pretty fucking eh.

I sincerely think you should intro your cousin those labels. Not because of the label-championing or some sort, but to let your cousin knows how big the world is. There is always a heaven above sky. If you ever heard this saying. Not because julius/ro/ccp is the best label ever in the world.

Well, from your statements, I got the feeling that you are not obliged because you feel those labels are shit (eventhough I think deep down you feel that way), but rather because he is your cousin and you want to help him and dont fall into the hole.

Well nevertheless, no matter what your decision is to introduce these labels or not, do not ever expect him to like those labels like you do.

:P

i think persistence is the key to gaining whatever it is you want in life. It seems everyone has a dream but too few people are willing to follow it through after the countless knockbacks they get. i think the best thing you can do for your cousin is support him in what he wants to do. If he asks for advice, give it. But at the same time never shit on others' dreams (not that im saying you are).

if he wants a career in fashion he will eventually expand his view to broader labels and aesthetics. Wait patiently for that time and im sure you can pitch in and help him.

From what I know, most of the people working in the local fashion industry are as clueless as they come by sufu standards, and don't really suffer for it because like 90% of consumers are even more clueless. The fashion-aware world of sufu is a fantasy realm that almost never translates to real life, and knowing brands like CCP, Julius et al is barely useful.

It does depend on what role in the industry he plans to be a part of though, if it's fashion retail it's really not important if it doesn't involve your customer base. As a stylist or journalist I think it's part of their responsibility to be conscious of the fashion world view but it's sadly usually not the case here. As a designer, you just have to know your market but it's always good to expand your knowledge to draw influences from (or in the case of many local labels, to rip off ideas from).

But otherwise, there are plenty of highly paid and highly regarded people in fashion here that don't know shit, and while they annoy me, it doesn't affect them all that much cos people like us are in the vast minority. It'd be good to mention such labels to your cousin just for the principle of it but if he doesn't get it, it's fine.

edit:

And CCP et al is a fairly niche direction after all and just not very useful. It would be good for him to expand his fashion world view but it would make more sense introducing him to labels and their respective aesthetics more relevant to him like say, BoO, Prorsum, DH, Lanvin, Balenciaga etc

I think you planning to introduce him to a 'different' world is a fine idea. That way he has had the exposure to something different, and can make his own choice. But sometimes...things come naturally and maybe you don't need to literally grab him by the neck and point him in a direction you think is better.

Ultimately what I'm trying to say is that we're not any better than a consumer buying fast retail. Though it's easy to make ourselves believe so. Some female friends of mine love chasing trends and changing styles every 6 months. Who's to say that's stupid when it's their money they spend? I don't like people telling me how to spend my money.

I think you planning to introduce him to a 'different' world is a fine idea. That way he has had the exposure to something different, and can make his own choice. But sometimes...things come naturally and maybe you don't need to literally grab him by the neck and point him in a direction you think is better.

Ultimately what I'm trying to say is that we're not any better than a consumer buying fast retail. Though it's easy to make ourselves believe so. Some female friends of mine love chasing trends and changing styles every 6 months. Who's to say that's stupid when it's their money they spend? I don't like people telling me how to spend my money.

good point. now go buy me a soda! :D:P

cheers for all the responses guys, back to trying to find places that are open to eat at this easter >_>

Point him in the direction of reading good fashion magazines/books, online magazines, blogs, forums etc and he will develop his own taste. From there it only becomes an addiction to pursue something different, the best, or scarce. If the aesthetic of Politix is his taste, he may end up at Nicholas Andreas Taralis or Paul Smith, who knows. Through research he will find his own style.

A.

there's many, few of which are anything special.

i would take it to tess's above CR in the city if anywhere. i've had outerwear tailored there with great results. but i don't think it's cheap by comparison.

i've heard recommendations for jackson zu (i think that's the name?) in the building above wallace bishop on queen st.