What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

So I went by to my faculties new building to secretly study with a bunch of friends. It is amazing how the new building is for MBAs and EMBAs only.

When I came by, I snapped a few shots of these wonderful characters. Notice the color change in a certain area of the big guy.

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

It just shows how mature we all are.

After the building closed, we headed over to a favorite cafe spot and continued studying. Interesting pen drawings on the lamp are found.

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

My personal favorite

IMG_0275.jpg

This is me on my way back from the cafe. It is windy as hell.

IMG_0276.jpg

@Forbidden - Your first pic resembles a Maori chief or something?

Spent the past few days chilling out at Piha (a beach on the West Coast of Auckland) doing pretty much nothing but crosswords, short walks, a swim or 2 and sampling the local brews.

1/ View from the lookout down to 'Little Piha'

2/ Ande Whalls strolling along Kare Kare beach

3/ An afternoon swim at Little Piha.

4/ ROYs and a few beers on the deck.

5/ Final sunset of my holidays... back to work tomorrow.

piha.jpg

^For folks who grow them, they are worth more as flowers than food.

Anyway, yesterday xpost from RoyxCone thread:

My Roys and I moseyed on over to one of my favorite stores. It's a western/hardware store that's been around for about a hundred years. Yes, that's a giant cowboy boot on the side of it.

imagegys.jpg

501 STFs and Wranglers as far as the eye can see.

photo3dw.jpg

Endless supply of leather care products. So much Obenauf's!

imagetul.jpg

Thought I'd get some new overalls to go with my new Roys. I considered the Key herringbone coveralls, but I need the bib pockets.

imageqrn.jpg

Solid or hickory stripe?

imageszp.jpg

My usual size, 32x34! Vanity sized to help those farmers feel better about their bodies.

imageahe.jpg

I thought about using one of these buckles for my belt. Add a little personalized touch, you know?

imageqae.jpg

Thirty bucks later, and I was out the door with the "Aristocrat of Overalls".

imagerd.jpg

^It's a great place. Believe me, I've thought about getting a part time job there just so I can snoop around the basement for old Levi's that were long forgotten.

I'd kill for some humidity here...freezing balls every day

Where to post this, great interview with the brainchild of Momotaro on the history and success of Japanese denim.

http://www.madewithjapan.com/news/2011/the-history-and-success-of-japanese-denim-exclusive-interview-with-momotaro-jeans/

I think it would be best to x post it to the Momotaro thread.

pardon the forthcoming photodump

went to visit the lady in portland just before christmas...

the charming house next door

P1000619.jpg?t=1294285178

i was there six days and each day more lights would be added, including eventually a sixty foot red-and-white spire sort of thing, which looked kinda like a luminous santa claus, as rendered by el greco, holding his hands up to the sky and shouting to the heavens. visible from long long away.

lunchtime: effing delicious burger, and a waiter who was clearly separated at birth from a guy i know from school

P1000621.jpg?t=1294285340

we walked pretty much the length of downtown, even though it was cold as balls... local color:

P1000623.jpg?t=1294285787

dessert: it was suggested to me that i get the penis-shaped one, but i declined

P1000624.jpg?t=1294286076

i found this very funny for some reason. a restaurant i think?

P1000633.jpg?t=1294286150

more effin deliciousness

P1000632.jpg?t=1294286213

seriously more amazing food here than i've had in a while

P1000701.jpg?t=1294288160

P1000702.jpg?t=1294287175

zoo lights. nearly got frostbite.

P1000704.jpg?t=1294287379

then left, heart heavy, for a so. cal. christmas with family. visited the la sciencenter to amuse the seven-year-old cousin. as an architecture student this was quite amusing:

P1000762.jpg?t=1294287399

canada goose arctic steez

P1000767.jpg?t=1294287526

had time for a quick waywt

P1000773.jpg?t=1294287584

(jokes)

the rose garden outside, in full winter splendor (ha):

P1000775.jpg?t=1294287665

crazy elementary school attached to the museum. morphosis i think.

P1000778.jpg?t=1294287701

First time WAYJDT poster, long time reader.

Since I'm on winter break from school right now my days are pretty open. Today I packed a day bag, put on my denim and boots, then headed North.

Before taking off I made the standard breakfast. Fried egg, toast, and lots of coffee.

5328956463_29bd029577_z.jpg

I didn't have a plan aside from getting some reading done. I thought about continuing to pound coffee at a cafe but that's not much of an adventure now is it? I left the city on foot and started hiking.

Water storage I passed on my way up.

5328956485_3e29abd393_z.jpg

No boot prints, just these.

5329567550_1fa3efdd5e_z.jpg

That is aside from my boot prints.

5328956531_2d608409db_z.jpg

Once at the top I found a nice rock pile that broke up the breeze and provided a seat with a view so I set up shop for a few hours.

5328956561_d46b371177_z.jpg

5329567612_10dc287692_z.jpg

I brought Kerouac's Desolation Angels with me. It seemed fitting until I started a new section that was all about desolation in San Fran. Here he talks about running in to Ginsberg.

5328968009_440e146be6_z.jpg

He then spoke about how he felt alone even though he was among friends, then how he preferred to be alone while romanticizing his days in the mountains. It seemed even more fitting than before. However I, in what I thought was my desolation, looked down between the rock I was sitting on and the one I was resting my feet on only to find this.

5328956585_60c0256997_z.jpg

It could have been left behind or someone who's living up there could be collecting water. Either way I left it alone. The sun was beginning to descend so I packed up and headed back down in to the city.

5328968065_7ef219efb6_z.jpg

5328968025_8eea3543ea_z.jpg

All in all it was a good day.

I'd kill for some humidity here...freezing balls every day

Where to post this, great interview with the brainchild of Momotaro on the history and success of Japanese denim.

http://www.madewithjapan.com/news/2011/the-history-and-success-of-japanese-denim-exclusive-interview-with-momotaro-jeans/

Excellent interview, thanks for this. Especially interesting to see the hand loom, and the Sakamoto loom, which looks pretty similar to the Toyoda, wonder how they compare. Although I wish, when Masahiro mentions how crucial the cotton is, the interviewer had asked more about where it came from, etc.

TG - can't wait to see the finished kayaks!

Denton, Synthetic - nice stuff! Gotta get to Portland one of these days!

Great pictures!

Help me out here, I'm feeling stupid. -What is that thing?

Haha - thanks guys! That is a porcupine!