What Are You Wearing Today (Denim Version)

inquire

No hate but I can't stomach the whole outfit of crispy new workwear look. Affected? I feel so. Those clothes don't look lived in. Seems antithetical to the entire philosophy of workwear. Whatever. What the fuck do I know?

if you are referring to me.... haha! it's all good. i wear what i like. but as for me, i can't really wear my clothes to work. gotta wear scrubs 40+ hours a week at the hospital. i'm surprised sometimes when i try and jeans with a scrub top that i don't get reprimanded for it. the only time i can wear my clothes is if go out after work, have a gig, or on the weekends. so that's why practically all my clothes still looks new.

"no" hate all you want! i'll just keep on keepin on!

if you are referring to me.... haha! it's all good.

Yeah, but only cause you were the last post on the page when I popped into this thread. I imagine there's plenty of "salary men" out there who can't wear their Sufu approved clothes during their day jobs. I understand that buying workwear (in this context at least) is essentially buying into an ideal or mythology of a different time. That's one reason I am attracted to it as well.

That being said, I wish there were less posts of brand new stuff. I know it's a little ironic, railing against consumerism on a fashion website, but one of the other reasons I like workwear is the "less is more" philosophy. Spend some dough on clothes you can wear again and again and they will last you years. Re-sole leather shoes instead of buying new sneakers, etc. Still, it seems like here on Sufu, you see people just buying mass quantities of these type of items, negating the "purpose" of it - to relieve you of the need to buy mass quantities of clothes. Anyway, I digress. Thanks for your gracious response.

^I agree. However, we live in a post-modern world and the reasons for buying and wearing these types of clothing are varied. IMO, I think one of the most overlooked motivations behind the workwear boom is the emasculated state of males in Western society. Workwear allows us to tap into an aesthetic that validates parts of the cognitive dissidence of modern masculinity. Regardless, vintage-inspired fashion really is nothing more than a hobby — same as fly fishing or muscle cars. Some dudes are going to jam econo and others are going to have the latest and greatest — and tons of it. In the end, we are all just standing around some river or a Sears parking lot obsessing over minutia.

yeah, but also this is a waywtd thread, and so obviously a lot of the stuff pictured is not going to be 5 year old destroyed denim etc, but stuff thats getting worn in, unlike the Evo thread. Many of the people who originally wore this type of workwear would probably think we are all f****** nuts for being so interested in it.

I know where your coming from but personally this is my fav waywtd thread, i think its a human condition wanting as much nice stuff as you can afford!

Zubin, more information on your car please.

Thanks.

Off topic, but... I just painted this plate. Does anyone think there might be a market for them if I were to make more?

Jeans-Plate.jpg

Wanna trade?

Make me four of those plates and you can have any shirt we sell at the store...

I see this getting ugly quick.

Yeah, but only cause you were the last post on the page when I popped into this thread. I imagine there's plenty of "salary men" out there who can't wear their Sufu approved clothes during their day jobs. I understand that buying workwear (in this context at least) is essentially buying into an ideal or mythology of a different time. That's one reason I am attracted to it as well.

That being said, I wish there were less posts of brand new stuff. I know it's a little ironic, railing against consumerism on a fashion website, but one of the other reasons I like workwear is the "less is more" philosophy. Spend some dough on clothes you can wear again and again and they will last you years. Re-sole leather shoes instead of buying new sneakers, etc. Still, it seems like here on Sufu, you see people just buying mass quantities of these type of items, negating the "purpose" of it - to relieve you of the need to buy mass quantities of clothes. Anyway, I digress. Thanks for your gracious response.

But then how many proletariat "workmen" do you see dropping $400 on, say, a very hard-to-find 1950s-style chore jacket imported from Japan? Maybe a few, but not too many. Red wings, yeah. But not the high end denims or work shirts.

• sufu1 unpinned this topic