Workshirts

gimmegimme

supedenim just put up some amazing Joe McCoy work shirts ; two of them I would cop immediately if the funds were available to me!

check out these pictures (hope Lewis doesnt mind)

Joe McCoy Wabash shirt

Beautiful indigo blue dye with painted dots lining the cloth.Iron pressed buttons. Selvedge trip. Double chaintsitching throughout.

577.jpg

Joe McCoy 8 hour union twist chambray

Chambrays by McCoys have been using fabric whereby the fibres texture and dye is uneven. The result is a stunning cloth with a dramatic grain produced especially for McCoys.The buttons are cast iron pressed with the 8Hour union hallmark. Selvedge detail to the hip seam and runaway chainstitch thread.

575.jpg

more detailed pictures at Superdenim

argh, time to save up again!

i like both shirts - actually owning the first one (wabash) since a year.

nevetheless, the buttons on the shirts feel dirt cheap. really a bummer!

really? that's disappointing to hear

Stifels white on indigo, particularly the wabash stripe has intrigued me for a while. Some research uncovered the method and it's not what I thought. My assumptions were that the white was painted on, or there was some sort of batik resist with an indigo overdye. Neither is correct. Indigo does not actually stain the cotton. It is ground fine and chemicals are used to get a PH reduction to get the indigo in suspension where it clings to the cotton (this is why abrasion lets the white cotton show through when your jeans wear). When oxidized the yellow-green indigo turns blue. Chemicals (I forgot to write them down) are applied and steamed to reactivate the reduction on the areas where white is desired. This is generally described as a dye discharge agent. It doesn't bleach like chlorine (which damages the fibers), but changes the way light reflects. The indigo is still there you just don't see it, only the base cotton (or a faded version of the indigo depending on how much the agent was allowed to work. I am not sure if it only works on synthetic indigos and other similar dyes, as I was led to believe that natural indigo just re-oxidizes to blue again.

as far as i know they are both jean cord sugarcane shirts. the second one with different pockets. i cant find a link at the moment with a better pic.

i have the first on in red

Rivet Head: I didn't include a close-up shot, but the second picture has the same pattern. One just look darker so i thought I'd check, though it's probably just the quality of the picture.

EDIT: I'm just trying to figure out if they're identical aside from the pockets.

Rivet Head: I didn't include a close-up shot, but the second picture has the same pattern. One just look darker so i thought I'd check, though it's probably just the quality of the picture.

EDIT: I'm just trying to figure out if they're identical aside from the pockets.

I think the one is "jean cord" and the other is "mini-wabash"...I could be wrong, but there is subtle difference.

Rivet Head - Just ran through your blog and noticed you're from or currently live in the Detroit area, where exactly? I grew up in Detroit with my family much like most moving progressively futher and further west over the years. Anyway, the Detroit connection explains a lot of the work wear connection/infatuation. 10-15 years ago the thrift stores in Detroit and the surronding burbs used to be so ripe for vintage work clothes.

Rivet Head - Just ran through your blog and noticed you're from or currently live in the Detroit area, where exactly? I grew up in Detroit with my family much like most moving progressively futher and further west over the years. Anyway, the Detroit connection explains a lot of the work wear connection/infatuation. 10-15 years ago the thrift stores in Detroit and the surronding burbs used to be so ripe for vintage work clothes.

We started out in Lincoln Park then Taylor and then to Canton. I graduated from Plymouth Salem. Right now, I'm living in Redford Twp.. As soon as they get these clowns out of office in City Council, I'm gonna move into the city. Opportunity is going to be pretty good there in a few years. Where are you from? Thrift stores here have been shit since eBay.