Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

My 0500s after 2 years, probably 14 months of actual wear. Semi-retiring these for the Ande Whall contest. I boiled these to shrink them down enough to fit when I got them, as a result my patch was warped to shit. I got tired of the patch bunching the denim after a while so I took off the shrunken patch and resewed it. The crotch repair was done at SENY back in January I think, a few weeks before they were due to get the darning machine...still a great job IMO.

IMG_5416.jpg

IMG_5419.jpg

IMG_5421.jpg

IMG_5423.jpg

IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_5426.jpg

How to soak exactly? I put them in the tub in the hottest water that would come out of the faucet for a little over an hour and they dont seem to have shrunk at all

which pair? did you take pre and post measurements to check if they've shrunken?

just do a second soak and move them in the tub.

How to soak exactly? I put them in the tub in the hottest water that would come out of the faucet for a little over an hour and they dont seem to have shrunk at all

Turn them inside out and put them in a washing machine set to hot, and add a half gallon or so of boiling water (put the boiling water in before the jeans). Pull them out before the spin cycle. That's what I usually do, anyway.

which pair? did you take pre and post measurements to check if they've shrunken?

just do a second soak and move them in the tub.

Theyre the regular ol' 19oz 710s

And no measurements, I just kinda held them up to me to see if the inseam shrank at all and it didnt look like it.

Will do the second soak, get them hemmed, and then I will finally be able to post some fit pics

i may be completely wrong on this but i have always thought/assumed that most shrinkage occurs as the jeans are drying rather during the soak/wash.

i have tried to take measurements right after a soak and seen little to no shrink, then after they dried i noticed the difference.

experts please correct me if i'm wrong on this

from my experience they already shrink when wet...but in the end does it really matter? I doubt anyone would wear wet jeans and pays attention that tehy stay wet...so it's not so important when they shrinking really occurs. and I think martybear will check the dry jeans if they fit

soaking/washing/shrinking is always strange and often different. my s5000bk shrank the most with one single hot soak but my s5000vx (both zero denim) shrank a lot less. i also noticed that on my s3000vx. from this experience i would say indigo zero denim shrinks only over time and with washes.

the same rumor i often hear about the 19oz denim, that it will shrink further and further with washes

There are a lot of factors that are affecting the shrinking (actually the breaking and the re-bonding of the polymer chains in the microstructure of cotton fibres). Water temperature, it's hardness, agitation while in water, drying speed and temperature, etc...

But as b_f said, who cares as long as they shrink, we're happy -or unhappy :)

Bf ,interesting and good information for those of us that are going to order one of the new 710bks as they are made of the same denim. hmmmmmmmmm

I thought the originals were made with 19oz denim and these new ones were 17oz zero denim.

Anyways, is there anything special I need to tell the tailor tomorrow when I get my samurais hemmed? Might sound dumb but Im not sure :(