Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

Post-soak fir pics:

postsoakfitpic.jpg

And a little review of the S0510XX66-2

The fit is, as the name indicates, modelled after a Levi's '66 cut. Compared to the Denime 66xx, the thighs are slimmer whereas the knee and leg opening is bigger on the Samurai. But the Samurai should still have some shrinkage left.

The back rise is rather short compared to the front rise.

pre-soak / post-soak

waist: 34 / 33

front rise: 11,5 / 11

back rise: 14,5 / 14

thigh: 12,5 / 12,25

knee: 10 / 9,75

leg opening: 9 / 8,75

inseam: 37,75 / 36

As I wrote in another thread, I was surprised to see 2 chainstitched threads around the waistband. The 0500XX doesn't feature this and even the Evisu 2000 does not. I only saw that the Denime 66xx also has this feature. I didn't have the time this morning to compare it with the other Samurais or the SDA.

P1000064.jpg

The buttons are the same as on the S0500XX but the rivets are plain. So is the pocket bag material. As a true '66 cut, the backpockets are bar tacked so no hidden rivets on this pair. However the coin pocket has a hidden selvage line. Originally not featured on a '66 cut, AFAIK.

P1000063.jpg

P1000065.jpg

P1000068.jpg

The denim is 15oz silver selvage. It should be the same as on the first S0510XXs.

The recent ones also use the 15oz Texas Cotton, AFAIK.

The denim is as hairy as you would expect it from Samurai but less slubby and less irregular. It reminds me a bit of the recent Texas Cotton, which is also less slubby as the first ones. But as the Texas Cotton was first introduced with Lot.9, this have to be a different denim. But some similarities are there.

The arcuate is stitched in black as on the S710. I was surprised to see this, as the pictures from 2nd made me think, these are complete arc-less.

P1000051.jpg

With 21,840 Yen it's the cheapest Samurai along with 2 other ones. This is often explained with the lack of hidden rivets. You see this on some other brands. But I doubt that hidden rivets are worth 3,000 Yen...

Post-soak fir pics:

As I wrote in another thread, I was surprised to see 2 chainstitched threads around the waistband. The 0500XX doesn't feature this and even the Evisu 2000 does not. I only saw that the Denime 66xx also has this feature. I didn't have the time this morning to compare it with the other Samurais or the SDA.

P1000064.jpg

thats also a 1966 501 detail. previously waistbands were chainstitched on one side and single needle on the other. before that it was double single needle.

double chainstitching makes it easier cause you can do the whole waistband at one time.

beautiful_FrEaK, that's an awesome fit! Thanks for all the detail pics and info :) Will come back in a couple of hours to rep when I get past the "gave too much rep in 24 hrs" thing!

I never noticed that Samurai also made a 66 model - such a great cut imho. Wonder why it's priced so much less than their others?

@beautiful freak:

The Double chainstitched waist band is just part of the 1966 repro detail. almost all 66 repros have this feature! Fits you great!! perfect 66 fit

yeah, erk pointed that one out already.. maybe you overlooked it.

and why they are cheaper? one have to guess. maybe the lack of hidden rivets or the denim itself was cheaper...dunno. about the denim; time will tell.

Post-soak fir pics:

postsoakfitpic.jpg

And a little review of the S0510XX66-2

The fit is, as the name indicates, modelled after a Levi's '66 cut. Compared to the Denime 66xx, the thighs are slimmer whereas the knee and leg opening is bigger on the Samurai. But the Samurai should still have some shrinkage left.

The back rise is rather short compared to the front rise.

pre-soak / post-soak

waist: 34 / 33

front rise: 11,5 / 11

back rise: 14,5 / 14

thigh: 12,5 / 12,25

knee: 10 / 9,75

leg opening: 9 / 8,75

inseam: 37,75 / 36

P1000064.jpg

The buttons are the same as on the S0500XX but the rivets are plain. So is the pocket bag material. As a true '66 cut, the backpockets are bar tacked so no hidden rivets on this pair. However the coin pocket has a hidden selvage line. Originally not featured on a '66 cut, AFAIK.

P1000063.jpg

P1000065.jpg

P1000068.jpg

The denim is 15oz silver selvage. It should be the same as on the first S0510XXs.

The recent ones also use the 15oz Texas Cotton, AFAIK.

The denim is as hairy as you would expect it from Samurai but less slubby and less irregular. It reminds me a bit of the recent Texas Cotton, which is also less slubby as the first ones. But as the Texas Cotton was first introduced with Lot.9, this have to be a different denim. But some similarities are there.

The arcuate is stitched in black as on the S710. I was surprised to see this, as the pictures from 2nd made me think, these are complete arc-less.

P1000051.jpg

With 21,840 Yen it's the cheapest Samurai along with 2 other ones. This is often explained with the lack of hidden rivets. You see this on some other brands. But I doubt that hidden rivets are worth 3,000 Yen...

I have the previous 66RR edition and mine was arcless, everything else is the same as your pair. The pictures on 2nd are misleading sometimes..great purchase as I find the 66-510xx the best cut and price for a pair of Sams.

pat give those a wash, you seriously won't regret it, my 710s are nearing a second wash, these really fade more with more washes... I'll post pics after the wash to show you what I mean ;) around same amount of wear as you

i don't doubt you homie ;). but been busy lately and been too lazy to wash haha, but I'll get around to it!

I have the previous 66RR edition and mine was arcless, everything else is the same as your pair. The pictures on 2nd are misleading sometimes..great purchase as I find the 66-510xx the best cut and price for a pair of Sams.

Aren't the 66RR not a model from 2009? A new run of the original 66? Would be simple to find it out when looking at the lot#

Yeah the pics from 2nd threw me off from the 66RR. The denim looks boring&flat on those and the hardware didn't impress me either. But last week I already read that the pics are misguiding.

About the chainstitch.

It's interesting how it differs from model to model. The 510xx21oz and 710xx19oz have a chainstitch all around the waistband whereas the chainstitch on the 5000VX and 0500XX isn't complete.

Aren't the 66RR not a model from 2009? A new run of the original 66? Would be simple to find it out when looking at the lot#

Yeah the pics from 2nd threw me off from the 66RR. The denim looks boring&flat on those and the hardware didn't impress me either. But last week I already read that the pics are misguiding.

About the chainstitch.

It's interesting how it differs from model to model. The 510xx21oz and 710xx19oz have a chainstitch all around the waistband whereas the chainstitch on the 5000VX and 0500XX isn't complete.

I think it depends on which factory was used to make the jeans and which machine. I don't think samurai uses the same factory for all their lines. There are plenty of non-66 repros that have the double needle chainstitch on the waist band.