High Fashion Mountaineering Boots...

RAISED BY WOLVES

The fuck is happening to this thread?!?!?!

I don't give a fuck what people post (within reason) but anything that makes superbobo and Gnar scrap is wack. Timberland hasn't made a quality boot in years, that's common knowledge. However, they are still somewhat thread appropriate. Russell Moc's infiltrated this thread and found a loving home here. That's cool. Boat shoes and Lacoste boots can get fucked.

For Real.

The fuck is happening to this thread?!?!?!

I don't give a fuck what people post (within reason) but anything that makes superbobo and Gnar scrap is wack. Timberland hasn't made a quality boot in years, that's common knowledge. However, they are still somewhat thread appropriate. Russell Moc's infiltrated this thread and found a loving home here. That's cool. Boat shoes and Lacoste boots can get fucked.

For Real.

I just want to say that I hope my actions weren't anyway construed as malicious towards my boy bobo. Dudes got some good styles, and I fully respect his opinion.

Thats all.

Can anyone recommend some product to protect and waterproof the leather, or for general care?

poop, those are looking good. as far as the care goes, if you are looking for actual waterproofing i would probably use snoseal or nikwax. in an ideal world you would clean/condition first, let completely dry, then apply a wax-based product like the ones above, letting cure a full 10-12 hours. with any luck those will be good for mad much years.

Cool cool. After posting it got me thinking about guys like HeBay who have gotten Limmers. There is some debate over boot care options among people I know that are into Limmers. First of all, as I mentioned before, Limmers use a (supposedly) unique chrome tanning process, and for this reason they have their own product called "Limmer Boot Grease." HeBay you should get some of this stuff--it's righteous. The Limmers themselves have argued against the use of wax-based products (especially 'heavy' waxes like Snoseal), maintaining that wax clogs the pores of the leather and thereby reduces the lifespan of boots. I've used Limmer Boot Grease to great effect on my boots, but I've also used Nikwax pretty consistently over the years on my Vasques--and they're still great after a decade. I don't know--and I've never tried--what the impact of the boot grease on oil-tanned or other non-Limmer leather, but I can't imagine it would be harmful. I just thought I'd let folks know that the 'standard procedures' don't necessarily apply to Limmers.

I've had my eye on Gokey boots for a while particularly this model the 5" or Sauvage hiker named after the boots worn by french-canadian explorers of the great lakes, and seem to be the real deal hunting/hiking boot and are highly regarded in those fields

2967L4XB_LG.jpg

the Gokey name is now I think owned owned by Orvis and this pic from their site makes them look like a wierd elongated dress shoe but the Vintage/Worn pairs I've seen make them look quite attractive.

gb1.jpg

They are also custom fitted and hand sewn

I was curious if anyone had any experience or opinions and if there were any real difference in quality or construction pre/post Orvis.

gucci seem to be doing a bit of this sort of thing, eg

08fd21pzok.jpg

I'm keen for a pair of trekking boots that actually look nice. They've gotta be usable though, I want to wear them up the mountains! I'm not sure I'd trust something made by gucci not to fall to bits if I used them in anger. Conversely, it seems that most technical boots look shit

medium-Banks-GTX.jpg

I'm thinking mil-surp might be the way forward.

Yeah, seriously, like people I know that aren't even really into fashion are hopping on these, but they're definitely not my cup of tea.

I might not mind rocking a pair of timbo's if anything, black or khaki.

I've had my eye on Gokey boots for a while particularly this model the 5" or Sauvage hiker named after the boots worn by french-canadian explorers of the great lakes, and seem to be the real deal hunting/hiking boot and are highly regarded in those fields

the Gokey name is now I think owned owned by Orvis and this pic from their site makes them look like a wierd elongated dress shoe but the Vintage/Worn pairs I've seen make them look quite attractive.

They are also custom fitted and hand sewn

I was curious if anyone had any experience or opinions and if there were any real difference in quality or construction pre/post Orvis.

Eccles, I have a pair of the Sauvage hikers that I've worn for about a year--maybe more. I'll try and post pics (and additional thoughts) soon--as in the next 3 or so days.

appreciate it cheese

although I think I answered my own question with the pics as there is a definite difference in construction

gonna keep my eye out for vintage pairs although no luck finding my size in the last year or so

Eccles, I have a pair of the Sauvage hikers that I've worn for about a year--maybe more. I'll try and post pics (and additional thoughts) soon--as in the next 3 or so days.

those vogel boots are nice, they are too expensive for me though. for more custom boots of the workboot type check http://www.nicksboots.com/index.htm.

I really like some of the models he has. Like this one. You can change things like the toe shape etc. Good prices as well.

There are a lot of custom boot makers out there, most do western type stuff though.

Keep in mind, vintage boots, if the rubber sole has become hard and brittle, you will crack it when you walk in them. I found a pair of deadstock boots at a local value village where the vibram sole had become hard, and the first time i wore them they cracked along the sole perpendicular to the length of the boot near the ball of my foot, all the way through to the inside, through the leather insole even!